Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: starting up  (Read 2504 times)

caboose

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
starting up
« on: December 05, 2007, 05:36:00 pm »

ya...i just downloaded it and i have no idea how to actually start. its still in zip format. just downloaded, got confused, didnt want to skrew anything up, so i asked.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
Re: starting up
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 05:48:00 pm »

Um..

It might help to extract it somewhere (right click on it, then click "extract to.." and put it somewhere). Then when it's done doubleclick on "DwarfFort.exe".

Voila! You are playing DF!

Now you might want to check out the DFwiki and see the part that says "Tutorials and Guides", so you can actually get an idea how to play.

Have fun!

[ December 05, 2007: Message edited by: Teldin ]

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 05:51:00 pm »

Have you tried unzipping it into a folder and clicking on the .exe?

This game don't have an installer, if you one are intelligent enough to play this game one generally (generally, not necessarily) don't want the computer to do things behind your back anyways.

And welcome to the community!   :D

When you have played this game everything else will become irrelevant, reality itself will seem unrealistic and the only thing in your world that will not seem gray and dull will be those small ASKII symbols.

And remember: LOOSING IS FUN!!!
You will have a lot of fun.

Also remember to check the wiki.

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

caboose

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 05:55:00 pm »

ya...i dont no how to unzip it and there is no exe format, only zip.

MJ working

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 06:16:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by caboose:
<STRONG>ya...i dont no how to unzip it and there is no exe format, only zip.</STRONG>

If you are running Windows XP. Try the "extract to" command.

If you are not, you will need a program like WinZip or Winrar. To unzip the file as far as I know.

Do you have winzip or winrar ???? Both are free from the web at least on a trial basis, which should get you started on DF.

I'd link them, but I'm sure a google would turn them up and or some-one else will be along to be more helpfull than I.

Havlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 06:27:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by caboose:
<STRONG>ya...i dont no how to unzip it and there is no exe format, only zip.</STRONG>

If you're running Windows XP on your computer, then you should have all you need to decompress the ZIP archive. Since WinXP has built-in basic support for the ZIP file format, you should be able to just double-click the ZIP file and follow the Windows Wizard's directions to extract the Dwarf Fortress files from the ZIP archive. Actually, I don't know if it'll create a folder for you to put those files in though. Better create a folder named 'DwarFort' or 'Dwarf Fortress' right inside your C: drive or wherever you put the folders for your games, then open the ZIP file archive and place the Dwarf Fortress files in the folder you just made. Hope that helps; And good luck!

Havlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 06:38:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by MJ working:
<STRONG>
If you are not, you will need a program like WinZip or Winrar. To unzip the file as far as I know.

Do you have winzip or winrar ???? Both are free from the web at least on a trial basis, which should get you started on DF.
</STRONG>

I'd recommend the 7zip archiver.  It handles all of the major, and many of the minor, compression file formats, and doesn't come with all of the bloat and other crap that the commercial trialware has. Oh, and it's totally free, no timers or crippling, and open-source. Definitely the superior choice.

[ December 05, 2007: Message edited by: Havlock ]

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 09:40:00 pm »

I don't want to sound rude, but this probably will:
Is this your first time on the internet? Or at least, downloading anything off of it? Everything (just about) is in compressed files, and if you don't understand what that means I recommend you read the wikipedia article on them.

Compression:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_compression
Zip Files:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZIP_%28file_format%29

Basically, a compressed file has information 'encoded', for instance the code for 101101011011 might be represented in a file by 100001 instead (this example is probably completely unrealistic), making the file smaller and faster to download. "Unzipping" it is efectively 'decoding' the file back to its original state, for which you need a 'decoding' program. XP's Windows Explorer has one built in, but Winzip and Winrar are both nice as well. Also, many compression types take multiple files (.exe, .bat, .txt, .bmp) and mesh them together as one file for ease of transport. Hope this helped ( I bet a thousand other people are typing the same basic thing right now.)

A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 10:06:00 pm »

okay, got it, how do i brew beds
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 10:13:00 pm »

I'm reeeeeealy sorry, but that is one of the most awesomely hilarious quotes evar. Please rephrase the query: brewing is the act of producing alcohol. Beds are something you sleep on. The combination of the two would undoubtedly be awesome, but is sadly impossible.

If you meant brew beer, then you have to build a Still (uild menu, and, umm, [w]orkshops, and stil[l]) and que up the rew order. Also, you need someone with the brewing labor enabled ( [v]iew units, [p]references, [l]abor)
If you meant make beds, then you have to build a Carpenter's workshop (uild menu, [w]orkshops, [c]arpenters) and have someone with carpentry enabled.

Mmm. Beeeeer beds.

EDIT: Also, you reheheheeeeealy need to spend a good half hour or more (preferably more) reading the "first fortress" and other stuff on the Dwarf Fortress Wiki

MORE EDIT: I bet this post completely missed what you were asking entirely.

[ December 05, 2007: Message edited by: Reasonableman ]

[ December 05, 2007: Message edited by: Reasonableman ]

A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Khosan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 10:28:00 pm »

It's very close to the second to last panel.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 10:38:00 pm »

sorry, i mean how do i designate a sleeping zone for my dwarf animal, so they don't get out in siege
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 11:08:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Nil Eyeglazed:
<STRONG>okay, got it, how do i brew beds</STRONG>

haha, better than "mine for fish".  :D A thousand intranets to you sir!

And you can designate a bedroom/barracks, by using [q] to look at a built armor stand, weapon rack, or bed.  Now I seriously recommend that you read the wiki.
Here's some tutorials:
Your First Fortress
Indecisives Tutorial which needs to be updated a but.

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.