Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

A new social skill for (possibly) a new noble

(1/4) > >>

Bogdanov:
I dunno if this has been suggested before, i just came up with the idea, made a quick search and didnt find anything like it so here goes...You know how in the middle ages, monks were responsible, among other things, of keeping track of all the events that were happening in a kingdom, being pretty much the only people who could write.. It's something you hear about a lot in the Arthur legends for example..I was thinking maybe there could be a skill based on this : the dwarf would work in an office, sort of like the bookkeeper, sometimes meet other dwarves, talk with them, and write down in a sort of "fortress diary" every big event that happened to them, and maybe, in the "z" menu, you could read and browse this diary for any events such as : Has this guy ever had a fey mood? Has this other guy ever killed an enemy? lost a friend? Discovered precious ores or gems? etc.. You can figure a whole lot more of those, i guessI'm thinking the dwarves who would meet this "diary keeper" (sorry for the crappy name, english isnt my mother tongue.. hopefully, someone can come up with a better name) would get a happy thought for telling their tale to someone, and it would also help you track what happened to your fortress and your dwarves among the years.. sort of like a classic RPG game diary or questlog (i have Morrowind on top of my head)So, what do you think?

Dame de la Licorne:
A lot of the stuff you mention you can see in the announcements screen. Perhaps that screen could receive a search option to make it easier to find whether or not an event occured, and/or what type of event?

Bogdanov:
Well yeah, but you have to admit it's a huge pain to browse the announcement screen, plus it doesnt give many infos, on many subjectsSure, it tells about fey moods, but if your fortress is like mine, 7 years old, browsing manually through 7 years of "Tekkud has made a masterful engraving" x28 or "Zon has canceled a job : item misplaced" x 12, it might get a little annoying...And it doesnt say much : it doesnt say who fought, who killed enemies, who tamed animals, etc...The bookkeeper also just rearranges and makes more readible stuff you always knew (more or less precisely)

penguinofhonor:
And he could be incorporated into libraries! He writes a certain number of things in a book (25? 50? 100? Depends on book quality?) and then sticks it in a bookshelf in your library. Dwarves who talked to him often might gain a small amount of skill in reading, then they would teach themselves. Helpful dwarves could teach others to read after they learned.

YojimboUsaka:
And then your dwarf adventurer could be sent on a quest to recover the lost books of Antioch which chronicle the last years of the might fortress.That would be a very good hook for later games and would be a nice history of your fort.The 'monk' should be configurable.  You can pick how much detail, verbosity, which types of events should be recorded etc...I think this is a very good idea.  Well done.Yoj

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version