Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Work around farming trees  (Read 2542 times)

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Work around farming trees
« on: June 26, 2010, 04:05:24 pm »

I'm trying to figure out a way to farm trees in a way that does not seem like a cheat.

so far it seems that I'll need to have a reaction which gets seeds from trees, then the plants will be transported into a very large "treefield" workshop where they will be converted into trees.

I'm sort of thinking that I should leave out getting the seeds from trees though, that way they are something you need to embark with or work a little harder to get if you want to farm trees.

does anyone have any suggestions?
I'll also have to make a new sapling plant type for every type of tree
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
Re: Work around farming trees
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 04:22:50 pm »

Yeah, a reaction works great to extract a log and seed from a plant.

Well, you could increase the growing duration and raise the prices of seeds. That way, it'll limit you in the beginning, where you have a finite amount of points to spend, and you'll have to purchase more seeds from the caravans if you want to get more trees other than the first batch. The only problem I can imagine is that you might be making too much by selling the seeds. But if the growing duration is long enough, I think it's a fair trade, and I doubt too many people will trade them in favor of having a replenishable wood source.

If you really want, you can make seed extraction have a certain success rate, but that by itself doesn't really make much sense, getting seeds themselves shouldn't be difficult. Maybe if you call the seed a sapling in the plant files, and have a separate toy called a * seed. Then you can have another workshop and a reaction where you input the toy seeds, and only a few come out as saplings due to disease, or whatever reason you'd like.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 04:33:30 pm »

Yeah, a reaction works great to extract a log and seed from a plant.

Well, you could increase the growing duration and raise the prices of seeds. That way, it'll limit you in the beginning, where you have a finite amount of points to spend, and you'll have to purchase more seeds from the caravans if you want to get more trees other than the first batch. The only problem I can imagine is that you might be making too much by selling the seeds. But if the growing duration is long enough, I think it's a fair trade, and I doubt too many people will trade them in favor of having a replenishable wood source.

If you really want, you can make seed extraction have a certain success rate, but that by itself doesn't really make much sense, getting seeds themselves shouldn't be difficult. Maybe if you call the seed a sapling in the plant files, and have a separate toy called a * seed. Then you can have another workshop and a reaction where you input the toy seeds, and only a few come out as saplings due to disease, or whatever reason you'd like.

the chance of a tree not having seeds is a good idea, but I was avoiding the change of name to be a sapling as the sapling would be brought to the arboretum to be converted to a full tree.
(arboretum currently takes 12 logs and a bucket to make, its also a 15x10 building so its fairly large and uses the herbalism skill, although farming skill is a possibility as well.. woodcutting skill even?)
I think that I'll make the saplings only plantable in spring with a 2 season timer, and the plants need to be grown in their suitable tree biome. (no tower-caps in the sun, or palms on a glacier, but tower-caps would work underground on a glacier if you had water for the farms.)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 04:38:31 pm »

Watching this thread to see where this goes.
Since trees are now classified as plants, can they just plain be grown from seeds if you mod in a way to get them?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 04:41:07 pm »

Since trees are now classified as plants, can they just plain be grown from seeds if you mod in a way to get them?

no, they won't become cuttable trees on farms.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 04:42:25 pm »

dang.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 04:45:57 pm »

Apparently, according to the wiki, you can't have a tree be grown from seeds and such. But what you can do is make two variations of a certain plant - one as a plant, and one as a tree. Make it so the tree doesn't actually grow anywhere, then just make a reaction to get the "tree version" wood from the growable plant.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 05:04:01 pm »

I wonder if I should add an axe to the required building items, or possibly to the reactions, although I can see an issue with using the reactions for it. (woodcutters and military units taking ALL the axes leaving you left with tonnes of useless saplings.)

any thoughts on if I should set up the tree reaction to automatic? I'm sort of thinking I should.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 05:18:11 pm »

I wonder if I should add an axe to the required building items, or possibly to the reactions, although I can see an issue with using the reactions for it. (woodcutters and military units taking ALL the axes leaving you left with tonnes of useless saplings.)

any thoughts on if I should set up the tree reaction to automatic? I'm sort of thinking I should.
It would be a good idea to set it to automatic, if seeds and logs are all that you're trying to get.

As for using an axe in the reactions, you could just use it as a building material.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 05:19:37 pm »

what about requiring a giant circular saw blade in the building instead?
[/quote]

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 05:27:35 pm »

what about requiring a giant circular saw blade in the building instead?
well its a treefarm not a sawmill, although I suppose an additional large building could be used to produce blocks in a very efficient manner.

since a normal wooden block takes up 7/7 of water, I think 7 "thin wooden blocks" would suffice for floor planks.
Or perhaps instead of blocks I should make them Bars, so that you could have vertical wooden bars for walls and it would make for a nice fence.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 06:42:11 pm »

This is very doable. There are a few steps to it.

First, make a new plant that can be grown. Call it a "raw_tower_cap" or something. Doesn't matter, so long as its a new plant. Make the plant growable, but not edible in any way.

Create a new building. I made mine as a sawmill. I put in a reaction to automatically take 1 stack of raw_tower_cap plants to produce 2 raw_tower_cap seeds and 1 tower cap log. Used the woodcutter labor.

Add in both the reaction and the building to the entities file, and you're good to go. You can create multiple types of new plants as well if you want different trees. Oaks, pine, fungiwood, doesn't matter.

You can even use the same reaction to grow metal. Ironwood plant? Give it a very long growing time, and at the lumber mill instead of producing wood it produces an iron bar? Or gems. Possibilities are endless.

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 01:26:17 am »

Great idea, farming trees should be a viable long-term option!