Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make workshops prettier.  (Read 1208 times)

Chrissi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Make workshops prettier.
« on: July 01, 2010, 11:08:33 am »

So the thing that has bugged me about this game from the start is the appearance of the workshops.  I can't tell one workshop from the next, I can't even tell where the workshop starts and ends because it's a mess of random characters.  I hate how the workshops look.

Does anyone think there's any way to make workshops look... you know, like a building, with a wall around the outside, or some sort of cohesive look instead of the random jumble?

Not sure if I'm being really clear here.  I'm wondering if anybody has made a pack that modifies the appearance of workshops, or if someone knows how I could go about doing this myself.  Even if I can just change the characters that represent a workshop, that would be good enough.

I generally play without graphics so somethign with just the ASCII tiles is what I'm looking for, but if somebody already made a graphics pack that modifies the workshops I'd be willing to use that, or at least check out how they did it and do it for myself in ascii.

Star Weaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Make workshops prettier.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 11:23:29 am »

It looks like they're starting to do a little of that in the Ironhand set, but I think it's only one or two 'counter' tiles so far.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 11:32:26 am »

This is realy only possible with a few tiles that only workshops use, like the one on the bowyers workshops. Workshop desings themselves are hardcoded, safe for the soapmakers shop.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Chrissi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 11:52:14 am »

Yeah, I was checking out the raws and I got all excited when I found a program called workshop painter... but then realized most workshops aren't in the raws.

So I could do the soapmaker's workshop... and that's about all.... :/

Even if it's hardcoded, is there not a way that anybody's figured out to make the workshops display differently?

Star Weaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 12:22:40 pm »

Aside from modding, I find that using bright colored stones like bauxite or microline to make workshops helps a bit, or at least something that contrasts with the color of the floors in the area.

(I also tend to make sure to make groups of workshops in the same color).

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 12:29:30 pm »

Those tiles are almost always used for something else as well;
it's a problem that manifests itself in many ways throughout the game.

We are getting creative with my graphics set, yeah;
but it's only gonna be one tile, or maybe two.
You can't specify art for different workshops.

Eventually, I think Tarn's planning full graphical support,
which will allow us to make distinct graphics for EVERYTHING.
But I think that's a few years off yet; it's certainly not a top priority.