Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Worm eats Apple!  (Read 2648 times)

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
Worm eats Apple!
« on: January 01, 2010, 01:43:25 pm »

Hello everyone.  I've been messing around on Gamemaker for a couple of years now, working on projects that will probably never see the light of day and would work better on a real programming language.  So for this vacation, I decided to quickly create a quick, fun to program game and try to polish it to perfection.  I present to you Worm eats Apple!:
http://www.mediafire.com/?mjnnzcie2gz
Its just like the old snake games, as your worm grows in length with each apple.  However, the worm's girth also increases, and he doesn't move around on a grid; you press left to go counterclockwise, etc.  I also made the background for each "level" randomized, with the colours of the worm, the apple, the score counter, and the lemon responding to look the most pleasing.  The song is of my own composition, and I will probably replace it with a better one sooner or later...

So, thoughts?  Comments?  Questions?  Threats?

EDIT:
Screenie:

Also, could someone recommend a different file hoster?  I don't really like the one I got...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 04:26:36 pm by The Mad Engineer »

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
Re: Worm eats Apple!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 03:14:26 pm »

Can't try out your game, but http://www.mediafire.com is the best free filesharer out there.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 04:26:44 pm »

Thanks!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 09:36:18 pm »

Fun little time waster, nicely done my only suggestion would be having the white sun thing described in the directions. I wasn't sure if it was a lemon or what.

Edits.

Played for a bit longer (got up to 34). I got a few problems when I got a black background. I couldn't see where the screen ended, which led to a few surprises. Also, when the worm starts to get wide, hit detection still seems to be on the right side, I got the apple through the center of my worm in one case. Also, it seems that the turning gets slugish a bit too quickly as worm size increases.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 02:10:04 am by Strife26 »
Even the avatars expire eventually.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 02:52:53 pm »

Also, the worm's tail is... well... transparent. I can't tell where the snake ends exactly, which has led to me getting killed more than once.

Also, the smallness of the apples is just frustrating as I have to take 10+ passes at it just to pick it up. That, or it turns out I have the worst hand-eye coordination known to mankind.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 10:46:49 pm »

The lemons become small with the apples, makes em way too easy to avoid.