Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Growing Glaciers?

(1/3) > >>

elwessweettea:
Not the biome type, real-life expanding sheets of ice across the landscape. Anybody ever had one of these before? I smoothed my ponds one winter when they were all frozen over, and had some interesting results the next summer: one constructed a wall where the warmest [all-summer-unfrozen!] biome pond was beside the permafrozen biome; and then two ponds were in a biome that melted exactly on the 15th of Midsummer for a very short time. But because it had a smoothed ice floor that melted, it suddenly had ice walls on top of the pond as well as in the pond. Now the glacier is growing in this biome of very short non-freezing weather, and it's taking over the whole biome!

I tried putting a food stockpile on top, and food has enough time to fall *exactly* one z-level before it is refrozen. It doesn't actually get destroyed until it's stayed on the same z-level for two freezings, though. And it is a very, very short time of unfreezing:there's been mist and ice in the same spot when I've k'd over.

Anyone else managed to have glaciers grow?

Retro:
Wow. I've never heard of something like this... nor do I think I even fully understand it. So parts of the glacier are melting, then refreezing on the still-frozen parts of the glacier, thus making it larger? It's a bit confusing for me to understand, but it sounds pretty damn awesome.

smjjames:
Interesting all right.

Who knows if this was intended behavior or not.

Could you post some screenshots?

Diamond:
Oh man, this is awesome. So as I understood, ice floor is melting into water above ice walls to become an ice wall on one z-level below, producing mist in the process ? We surely need more info on this, some more details perhaps ? I just love glaciers.

fizmat:
I think I get what happens. The key here is short summer, smooth ice just started the whole thing. Water melts and spreads to adjacent free place, but doesn't have time to evaporate before freezing. Next time it thaws there's two 7/7 water, etc. Because freezing doesn't respect conservation of mass.
Side view:

--- Code: ---first summer
   7         232
"""7""" -> """7"""
winter
  ###
"""#"""
summer
  777       34743
"""7""" -> """7"""

--- End code ---

What I don't get is where mist comes from. Does this somehow grow up z-levels?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version