Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The mystery of Corin's Mystery Massacre  (Read 1511 times)

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
The mystery of Corin's Mystery Massacre
« on: August 31, 2006, 08:33:00 am »

For those who don't know, CMM is an older game by Bay 12. It is an ASCII real-time strategy, surrounded by clouds of confusion and uncertainty (must be miasma). I'm interested how related it is to Dwarf Fortress. There are some obvious similarities, for example 'z' screen in DF and unit lists in CMM. Was CMM a tech demo for Dwarf Fortress? How much code was reused between the two projects?

In fact, I was reminded of this game when thinking that fights in dwarf mode are not really that challenging. Now CMM had very intense fights, with hordes of monsters intent on the total destruction of your base.  There aren't such situations in DF and I think it should be changed. Not exactly in the "huge hordes of monsters" way, but somehow...

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The mystery of Corin's Mystery Massacre
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 09:35:00 am »

I'd love to make a CMM mod when modding support is added.

Teriferin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 09:36:00 am »

I just want to note that I actually have been attacked by HUGE hordes of enemies in Dwarf Fortress. Specifically goblins. 77 goblins riding 77 beak dogs with 5 trolls in tow.

[ August 31, 2006: Message edited by: Teriferin ]

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 09:38:00 am »

The only thing that has ever attacked my fortress was some monkies, I should start slaughtering human caravans.

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 09:47:00 am »

Teriferin - I saw your account of it on the PA thread.  You need to write that up for the wiki Stories page.

If you don't, I'll just copy/paste the text of your posts in there.  Yes, that's a threat :-)  That's a story that has to be preserved, it was awesome to read.