Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Hallways/Rooms on a 3x3/7x7 Grid

(1/3) > >>

Pasakoye:
If you have ever had problems making hallways and rooms using a 7x7 grid, this image I made may help you.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Lime Green shows a 3x3 floor block, 4 together, and a 7x7 block from that. Next to the blocks are 4 7x7 rooms in a grid. The Dark Green shapes inside are 3x3 workshops and 5x5 depo/kennel. This is the way I lay out farms/workshops/storage, but with my fortresses, I usually don't want 3x3 hallways and rooms coming off of this.

This is my way of doing hallways, and fitting as many rooms as possible, in a 7x7 grid. Any of the Red 7x7 rooms can be any of the hallways below them. Doors are Yellow (they can go anywhere really).

First Row: 7x7 + 7x7
                7x7 + straight hallway
                7x7 + dead end hallway
Second: 7x7 + left/right hallway
Third: 7x7 + 3-way hallway
Fourth: 7x7 + 4-way hallway

The next few are if you have a 3x3 room/hallway that you want to connect.

Fifth: 7x7 + close right/left hallway
Sixth: 7x7 + far right/left hallway
Seventh: 7x7 + end right/left hallway
Eighth: 7x7 + rooms to each side
Ninth: 7x7 + rooms on the corner

In the Gray area are other possible connections. The one on the bottom connect to anything.
The light green area, above the gray, are some hallways connected to themselves.
If the Image is too blurry/not big enough let me know. I didn't realize it saved as jpg.  :(
Also, this is my first big post, and I hope it isn't confusing. Post examples if you try it out.

Edit:
I made another image which should show hallways/rooms better, remember doors can go anywhere so depending on how you place them you will avoid creating Swastika designs. When I say 3x3 I mean floor space, I hope that's not confusing.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)Far left is 4 3x3s and 7x7 Connected. O is for open rooms. E is for dead-end Hallways. S is for Straight Hallways. C is for Corner Hallways. 3 is for 3-way Hallways and 4 is for 4-way Hallways.

I know 1 tile big Hallways can be a pain with a lot of dwarfs, sticking to a 3x3 grid helps me make 3 tile wide main hallways with smaller ones sticking out from the side, since they fit together. It also gives a nice variety of room sizes.

Also, does anyone think the hallways would make good "pipes" and dwarfs could use stairs to get down in their rooms. The only problem I see with that is the 4 tile rooms having 3 floor space. Could be useful for a well/waterfall, the rooms could be "bunk rooms"

Mohreb el Yasim:
this image repeals me to the game called Labirinth  ... now we just need to figur out how to move these different parts betwean eachother and we would have a really cool fortr~~ khm labirinth ...

Normandy:
This definitely needs to be put up on the wiki. I would if I was not too lazy to make an account and edit it in. Very useful.

Cockyy:
I am a child for getting a kick out of the 3 swastikas in the image.

darkflagrance:
I'm curious: is there a non-aesthetic reason to use 7x7 grids?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version