Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Overflowing brook, eek.  (Read 903 times)

Ankheg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chasing the Sunset
Overflowing brook, eek.
« on: January 03, 2010, 06:26:59 am »

I've just embarked and started to set up, nice little spot with lots of Z-levels.  Looking around, i find that the map's brook is set halfway into the mountainside, sloping downwards out off the map.  The exit point, however, is overflowing!  There's a practical lake of water oozing out onto the surrounding countryside.  Fun, really.  But scary.  The starting point of the brook is 7 z-levels higher than its exit point.  Can i expect the brook to eventually fill up all those z-levels, lest i hurry up and start damming it in?  Also... there is an open bottomless chasm next to the river.  Will this drain off the water?  I suppose it might be useful to get rid of excess water, though it might get in the way when i breach it.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Overflowing brook, eek.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 07:57:54 am »

I'm not entirely sure on how much it will flood, but when it's unknown, assume the worst.

As for the chasm, you can safely dump any amount of water in it, and the water will be gone. In fact, if you're concerned about your brook you can reroute the entire brook to go into the chasm, and once you got it working it won't be too hard to make changes.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Overflowing brook, eek.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 09:15:33 am »

Use the chasm, that'll work :P
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.