Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: DFLang: generate realistic language raws, every time.  (Read 72782 times)

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DFLang: generate realistic language raws, every time.
« Reply #120 on: July 29, 2011, 03:14:49 pm »

Just a note: if you're using a mac, there's no actual need to fiddle around with python (I tried and didn't get anywhere) just use it through WINE. Works perfectly.

Brilliant!

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 28, 2011, 02:56:43 pm »

Lol, I used english as the root and I got the word cock for back! Watch your cocks everyone!
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 28, 2011, 05:43:56 pm »

Hehe If I recall that is exactly why Toady does not have randomly generated languages in game right now.   Still an awesome program though, great for us folks that don't wanna use an existing vanilla language but can't be arsed to spend 4 hours writing one up from scratch.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 28, 2011, 09:08:02 pm »

Yeah, definitely. I use this all the time, I think it's the most useful modding utility out there.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #124 on: December 29, 2011, 03:20:22 am »

Hell yes, i have fun just throwing random languages into it and seeing what comes out.

You still working on it, Igfig?
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 07, 2012, 10:39:24 pm »

I'm looking for a couple extra language files to throw into this, like that Scottish Gaelic wordlist mentioned god-knows-how-long-ago. Anyone got any that aren't included in the base version?
くコ:彡

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 07, 2012, 10:49:55 pm »

Someone made a pack of real-world languages a while ago. They're not formatted for DFLang, of course, but it's not hard to to cut them down to something that DFLang can use.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 07, 2012, 11:00:48 pm »

Well that's handy. Thanks.
くコ:彡

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 08, 2012, 03:51:03 am »

Since apparently I didn't post as I thought I did, I'm posting right now to say that this is a wonderful utility and that all the languages in my troll mod are made using this.

IIRC, the troll language is based on what-may-be old norse (I know it's norse, just not sure how old it is :P) mixed in with the troll names from Homestuck.

Archmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • Carpe Pastam
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 13, 2012, 05:09:47 pm »

Necroing a little to say THANK YOU.  :D

Thank you!

I did a new language manually in ~5 hours. Then I found DFLang and did 7 more languages in ~45 minutes.

Akjosch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 26, 2012, 06:31:57 pm »

I'm looking for a couple extra language files to throw into this, like that Scottish Gaelic wordlist mentioned god-knows-how-long-ago. Anyone got any that aren't included in the base version?

Chris Pound's Name Generation page (which also hosts the original lc tool; if I remember correctly, DFLang is based on it) has quite a few as well.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 26, 2012, 08:11:08 pm »

So I haven't been working on this in a long time, ever since I tested out the Variable-Order Markov Model approach and discovered that the words it generated weren't noticeably better than the regular one I was already using.

Just the other day, though, I had a thought: maybe the problem was with my corpus. The one I got from Chris Pound's page (and yeah, DFLang is based on a modification of his lc script) was pretty small and focused on flowery words. This time I used a bigger and better corpus, containing the 100,000 most common words in the English language. The difference was remarkable:

I'm not sure it's practical to actually use the larger corpus (it takes way longer to generate a language), and the whole thing is biased toward longer words at the moment, too... but it's piqued my interest, so you may yet see something new here.

Akjosch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 27, 2012, 01:01:45 am »

So I haven't been working on this in a long time, ever since I tested out the Variable-Order Markov Model approach and discovered that the words it generated weren't noticeably better than the regular one I was already using.

Not sure what you mean by "variable-order Markov model", but constructing words by phonemes - or a workable approximation thereof - instead of letters does work remarkably better in creating believable words

As an approximation, you can replace multi-letter constructs which are usually a single phoneme or a diphthong with a pseudo-letter before constructing the Markov chains. then reverse the process for word output. The list can be done automatically (if a specific two- or three-letter combination is very common in the input corpus) or manually as desired.

For English, such a list could start with "th", "ch", "sh", "ph", "qu", "ea", "au", "ee" and some doubling of consonants (especially sonorants like "ll", "rr" and "mm").

For German, that could be "pf", "sch", "eu", "ch", "ph", "qu", "tz" and again consonant doubling.

For Polish, that would be "ch", "cz", "sz", "rz", "dz", "dź", "dż" and some palatised combinations with "i" ("si", "ci", "dzi", "ni", "zi" and so on).

Fantasy languages could use some of this too. :)

EDIT: Actually, I just ran the English translation of "War and Peace" through a little analyser, and the most common diphongs there are "th", "ng", "ou", "ea", "ll", "wh", "sh", "ch", "ow", "ss", "ai", "ee", "oo", "gh", "ay", "rr", "tt", "ts", "ff", "ck", "pp", "au", "qu", "oi", "aw", "nn", "ue", "ui", "eo", "mm" and "yi" - in that order.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 05:38:03 am by Akjosch »

Andux

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:semicolons]
    • View Profile
    • Andux's DFWiki page
« Reply #133 on: September 27, 2012, 01:09:30 pm »

Not sure what you mean by "variable-order Markov model", but constructing words by phonemes - or a workable approximation thereof - instead of letters does work remarkably better in creating believable words

As an approximation, you can replace multi-letter constructs which are usually a single phoneme or a diphthong with a pseudo-letter before constructing the Markov chains. then reverse the process for word output. The list can be done automatically (if a specific two- or three-letter combination is very common in the input corpus) or manually as desired.

In fact, Mark Rosenfelder has written a Javascript vocabulary generator which does just that. His Sound Change Applier may also be of interest.
(Do not sign anything.) -- Fell, Planescape: Torment

MADMAN · Save Tools · WTF Tools · Generated Raws Extractor · Tweak for 0.31–34.xx

Akjosch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 27, 2012, 03:55:08 pm »

In fact, Mark Rosenfelder has written a Javascript vocabulary generator which does just that. His Sound Change Applier may also be of interest.

That's actually a different (but also very useful) type of language generator, one using a context-free grammar, not a Markov chain.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11