Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: DFLang: generate realistic language raws, every time.  (Read 72823 times)

Umune

• Bay Watcher
  • Not all who wander are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: DFLang: generate realistic language raws, every time.
« Reply #135 on: September 27, 2012, 05:20:25 pm »

As someone interested in linguistics yet utterly uninitiated into the arcana, I'm totally impressed by this and love messing around with it. Any sort of update would be fantastic. I had thought the word list was a bit sparse, but I can see why 100k might be a bit much. Maybe have an option to generate a varying amount, like a slider of sorts between the original amount and the 100k, randomly choosing words from the list. Since this was originally intended for DF, maybe randomly choosing words outside Toady's original?
The thought of an update makes me giddy.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 27, 2012, 05:23:13 pm »

As someone interested in linguistics yet utterly uninitiated into the arcana, I'm totally impressed by this and love messing around with it. Any sort of update would be fantastic. I had thought the word list was a bit sparse, but I can see why 100k might be a bit much. Maybe have an option to generate a varying amount, like a slider of sorts between the original amount and the 100k, randomly choosing words from the list. Since this was originally intended for DF, maybe randomly choosing words outside Toady's original?
The thought of an update makes me giddy.

You can have DFlang generate new words by defining the words in the language_words.txt file in DFLang's directory.

Umune

• Bay Watcher
  • Not all who wander are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 27, 2012, 07:26:36 pm »

This is true, but adding them is a rather long process that I would prefer to avoid.
I'm lazy. And then I don't have to send my own personal word list when I give them the link to this thread.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 28, 2012, 04:22:04 pm »

Awesome mod!  I just recently used it to create a language for the Masterwork's Nagas and it worked and made a language, but I can't seem to make them be able to talk.  How would I give the Nagas, or any race for that matter, the ability to speak?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 28, 2012, 06:21:31 pm »

Awesome mod!  I just recently used it to create a language for the Masterwork's Nagas and it worked and made a language, but I can't seem to make them be able to talk.  How would I give the Nagas, or any race for that matter, the ability to speak?

Based on the wiki...

[OBJECT:ENTITY]

[ENTITY:ENTITYNAME]
    [CREATURE:CREATURETYPE]
    [TRANSLATION:RACENAME] <-- This line right here
    [BIOME_SUPPORT:BIOMETOKEN:FREQENCY]
    ...[OTHER TAGS]...

With your language file, language_RACENAME with

[OBJECT:LANGUAGE]
[TRANSLATION:RACENAME]

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 28, 2012, 06:27:38 pm »

Also, they need CAN_SPEAK.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 28, 2012, 06:45:30 pm »

Also, they need CAN_SPEAK.

Based on the wiki...

[OBJECT:ENTITY]

[ENTITY:ENTITYNAME]
    [CREATURE:CREATURETYPE]
    [TRANSLATION:RACENAME] <-- This line right here
    [BIOME_SUPPORT:BIOMETOKEN:FREQENCY]
    ...[OTHER TAGS]...

With your language file, language_RACENAME with

[OBJECT:LANGUAGE]
[TRANSLATION:RACENAME]

Thanks both of you!  Now I can get quests from my plethora of Naga hamlets and fortresses.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 05, 2014, 02:32:49 pm »

Just posting here quick to let you all know that this isn't dead, and I'll be getting back to development on it once I've finished finalizing the Modest Mod. The Variable-Order Markov Model is working incredibly well. It turns out that the 100k-word corpus requirement was actually due to a bug, and actually the new model permits significantly smaller corpi than before, with much more accurate generated words.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 14, 2014, 10:38:11 am »

Hi how's it going? I was just looking at DFlang, and noticed that there are a few new word tokens in the RAWS now. I recently made alphabetically sorted versions of the DF40.0x language_SYM and language_words files which I posted here, if you'd like to use them in the next release. These just have the keys sorted alphabetically in the game, no other changes:

http://jgame.net.au/language_SYM.txt
http://jgame.net.au/language_words_alphabetical.txt

Btw i'm the guy who did that language pack back in 2011, so I should probably update that too, now.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 14, 2014, 10:42:18 am »

This actually already works with 0.40.  You just have to point it to the language files in DF instead of using the defaults that come with it.  I've already generated 2 languages that work perfectly fine in .40.

I suppose the default files being updated would be nice, but it's simple enough to do as users til then.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 14, 2014, 10:51:23 am »

I provided these because if you drop the words file into your game all name selection choices become alphabetical, so they're better than the vanilla ones. If you try naming something in vanilla, you'll find the alphabet ... breaks down after a bit.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 10:53:09 am by Reelya »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 14, 2014, 11:11:01 am »

Ah yea, I suppose I posted a bit too early before my caffine kicked in. :P 

For some reason I was thinking that people would think they needed DFLang to be updated before it would work with .40.  When they can just plug in your files or just point DFLang to the vanilla df files to have it produce perfectly good files.

Thanks for the links :)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Draugo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 15, 2014, 01:50:07 am »

Interesting idea, didn't actually notice this until now. I started working on a description based name generator a couple of days ago but instead of taking existing names and using them as a template I decided to create character sets with different modifiers for each character and then have a system that follows simple rules to randomly select characters from the group. I've gotten it somewhere where it nears Finnish names (being a Finn myself) but it definitely needs more work than two evenings before it's anywhere usable. Anyways, I might check this project for references.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 15, 2014, 11:41:02 am »

Hey Draugo, there's an old Finnish language file floating around, which needs updating, I pm'd you the details so take a look and let me know if you have a few minutes to help out, you'll get a written credit for helping.

Draugo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 16, 2014, 01:12:36 am »

Reelya, I noticed... I also sent you a response practically immediately :)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11