Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: DFLang: generate realistic language raws, every time.  (Read 72792 times)

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DFLang: generate realistic language raws, every time.
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2010, 12:46:52 pm »

I discovered the bug.  The problem was that roots files weren't being read properly, and DFLang is set up so that if it doesn't get the data from the root file it automatically generates a new set of roots.  Basically, the roots files were useless.

I've fixed that and uploaded version 1.5.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2010, 01:48:32 pm »

I'm getting an error whenever I try and use a custom roots file, which were first generated through the built-in one, then I modified the words.
I use windows 7 x64.
Code: [Select]
Exception in TKinter callback
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "Tkinter.pyc", line 1410, in __call__
  File "DFLangWin.py", line 267, in lang_generate
  File "DFLang.pyc", line 262, in lang_from_files
  File "DFLang.pyc", line 47, in read_roots
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'groups'
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 01:50:08 pm by Danarca »
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2010, 01:54:03 pm »

I just downloaded the new version and am attempting to generate a language from the roots file it created, and I'm getting the exact same error as Danarca.  I have not edited the roots file at all myself, and I'm also using Win 7 x64.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2010, 04:04:16 pm »

My problem, to add to the others here, is that it doesn't seem to want to load the lang files. I open it, browse and select the dwarf file and nothing shows up and it says it doesn't have one loaded. I select it again and the same thing happens. I edit the defaults to make sure it knows where the file is, still nothing. I make sure I have python and c, which I do and try again, still nothing. I dunno what to do here.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2010, 04:49:28 pm »

My problem, to add to the others here, is that it doesn't seem to want to load the lang files. I open it, browse and select the dwarf file and nothing shows up and it says it doesn't have one loaded. I select it again and the same thing happens. I edit the defaults to make sure it knows where the file is, still nothing. I make sure I have python and c, which I do and try again, still nothing. I dunno what to do here.

Browse the thread, it was answered earlier. Basically your DFLang folder path must contain a space, or else it won't work for some reason. Change it to "DF Lang" for example.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2010, 08:38:14 pm »

I'm getting an error whenever I try and use a custom roots file, which were first generated through the built-in one, then I modified the words.
I use windows 7 x64.
(code)

Oh, sonuva...

That was a stupid mistake on my part.  Fixed.

Also, I figured out what was causing the "need spaces in the pathname" bug.  It turns out the problem is actually a bug in the Python standard library, oddly enough.  The workaround was trivial once I found that.  Fixed.

Version 1.6 has been uploaded.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2010, 09:13:24 pm »

Can someone host this in something other than .rar format?  I really don't want to install another program just to do something Windows can do perfectly well on its own.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2010, 10:07:17 pm »

Done.

I may forget to update it in the future, so give me a shout if you want a new one.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2010, 10:11:16 pm »

Wow,  that  was quick!  Thanks a bunch.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2010, 12:55:31 am »

Can someone host this in something other than .rar format?  I really don't want to install another program just to do something Windows can do perfectly well on its own.

Or you could get WinRar (free) and have access to not only rar riles, but bz, bz2, 7zip, iso, and a dozen others.  It's like not using FireFox because IE "comes with Windows."

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2010, 01:17:06 am »

Or you could get WinRar (free) and have access to not only rar riles, but bz, bz2, 7zip, iso, and a dozen others.  It's like not using FireFox because IE "comes with Windows."

Why do you even bother posting? He already helped me out.

And why would I want to install more software on  my computer when the software I already have would work fine? WinRAR is a proprietary program - I'd rather not install it. Firefox is open-source. ZIP is an open standard, RAR is not. Firefox is objectively better than IE on a number of measures. But no, keep making bad analogies. It's sort of cute.

Oh, and WinRAR isn't "free". It  costs $30 dollars. Just because you're too cheap  to pay the licensing  fee after the trial period runs  out doens't make it "free".

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2010, 01:30:09 am »

And why would I want to install more software on  my computer when the software I already have would work fine? WinRAR is a proprietary program - I'd rather not install it. Firefox is open-source. ZIP is an open standard, RAR is not. Firefox is objectively better than IE on a number of measures. But no, keep making bad analogies. It's sort of cute.?

Oh, and WinRAR isn't "free". It  costs $30 dollars. Just because you're too cheap  to pay the licensing  fee after the trial period runs  out doens't make it "free".

.rar is far more used then .zip, (unless you still live in the iron age of the internet) and just happens to be safer, faster, and usualy more compact aswell, and handles far more compression formats. Sugesting you download it is far from offensive.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2010, 01:35:26 am »

And why would I want to install more software on  my computer when the software I already have would work fine? WinRAR is a proprietary program - I'd rather not install it. Firefox is open-source. ZIP is an open standard, RAR is not. Firefox is objectively better than IE on a number of measures. But no, keep making bad analogies. It's sort of cute.?

.rar is far more used then .zip, (unless you still live in the iron age of the internet) and just happens to be safer, faster, and usualy more compact aswell, and handles far more compression formats. Sugesting you download it is far from offensive.

I never said  it was offensive.  The fact is  the problem  was solved  and  he (and you) decides  to  come  in  here and start making editorial comments about my software choice.  Hey,  why don't you tell me what brand  processor you use and I'll tell you why it's wrong. Heck,  just tell me what brand soft drinks  you  drink and I'll tell you why that's wrong,  too.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2010, 01:38:43 am »

So you mean you did flip out at a post even you didn't consider offensive? Thanks for informing us of how sensitive you are to different opinions then, we'll try not to hurt your sensitive feelings with our sugestions.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2010, 02:44:07 am »

Hey y'all, please don't crap up good threads with slapfights, thanks.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11