Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: POINT AND LAUGH.  (Read 1113 times)

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
POINT AND LAUGH.
« on: January 04, 2010, 11:42:54 pm »

Ever had one of those moments... those evil moments that make you feel like some kind of deranged god? Or is the deranged god state more of a rule for you? If you have, then you had a POINT AND LAUGH moment. They come unexpectedly... but usually when you've allowed your dwarves' well-being to go into the shitter, and are wildly screaming "DANCE MONKEY, DANCE!" at your screen whenever another one keels over from mistreatment.

What are some POINT AND LAUGH moments you've had? Take a moment to reflect on these moments, share them with your fellow forumites, and be sure to punctuate with "POINT AND LAUGH" whenever appropriate.

Here's my story. I know it's long, but it's not as long as it looks, and in my opinion is rather amusing.

Catoblepas and I have been working on a fort as of late. Our goal was to make a shantytown-type deal: we embarked on a site with an aquifer, magma, sand, and lots of wood. We hardly use any stone: all of our aboveground constructions were made of either wood or glass. Our fortress was initially just a wooden palisade wall with a wooden lean-to here and there. Eventually, we built up a massive castle in the middle for the soon-to-come nobles. All was well, even the laborers in the slums were content.

It all started when I was setting up a few new shanties for some new immigrants. All of the laborers were gathering wood for the structures outside the fort, when a woodcutter gets ambushed. Yep, you guessed it, it's the Legendary Woodcutter who has like twenty friends. Of course, he looks around quickly, interrogates his Dwarven Common Sense index, does a little quick pathfinding, and runs... RIGHT INTO THE MIDDLE OF THE AMBUSH. The ungrateful bastard.

Four seconds and one woodcutter later, the ambush swarms about the entrance to the palisade. I scramble five champion wrestlers... well, two champions, two couch potatoes, and an invalid who has until now escaped my attention. But no matter. The champions actually do quite well; as they hurl themselves onto the spearpoints of the leering goblins, they actually manage to kill one or two of them. Shit. I forgot to train them in shield usage.

To make a long story short, the couch potatoes haul their fat asses out of bed and dispose of the remaining three ambushes... after letting them skewer ten or so workers. I decide to allow the fort to descend in an epic tantrum spiral and reclaim.

A few months later, a snatcher snatches a bearded bundle that someone left in the baggage claim... err, the courtyard. The family is undoubtedly heartbroken.

POINT AND LAUGH.

A kobold steals a mediocre wood idol artifact that someone ::) ordered to be dumped outside. The creator repeatedly hurtles himself off of a 2 Z-level drop until he dies of thirst.

POINT AND LAUGH.

The farms lie fallow, and for some mystifying reason (F), no one can bring themselves to drink any of the booze.

POINT AND LAUGH.

Half a dozen celebrity dwarves are lost forever due to a drawbridge malfunction. The families are anguished that there aren't any identifiable pieces left over to put into a coffin.

Another goblin assault force arrives, this one made entirely of CROSSBOW GOBLINS. Dwarves drop like mosquitoes until a makeshift military mops up the mess, with more casualties.

A Titan is drawn by the sounds of dwarves squealing in rage as masterwork crafts are hurtled in every direction and statues are toppled. All available dwarves are scrambled to defend against the threat.

Well, all except for the actual military dwarves, who are loitering around the bed of their superior, who is nursing a broken hand from the most recent goblin ambush.

Dwarves are punted across the courtyard by the Titan to join the flurry of items thrown by rioters. Amidst the chaos, the Captain of the Guard systematically moves from dwarf to dwarf, cracking their skulls with a single blow from his Ultra-Mighty fist.

POINT AND LAUGH.

Somehow, the rookies manage to hold off the (size 100) Titan until it collapses from exhaustion. The Guard Captain briefly pauses to tear its throat out before braining the next criminal.

Somehow, most of the dwarves calm down (or are splattered across the courtyard by the Guard Captain.) It would appear that the dozen or so surviving dwarves have a chance to rebuild the fort from the ruins, but the Powers That Be would much rather have a cruel laugh than a happy ending.

Everyone else mysteriously falls off a bridge into a pit of magma. Everyone except two or three dwarves, who are butchered by goblins while getting a drink from a murky, bloodied pool.

The end.

Point and laugh.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: POINT AND LAUGH.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 12:56:32 am »

One of my first forts I have worked on (to understand the game better), I failed to assign a drinking zone (a brook was directly nearby, and I didn't know how to designate one; didn't know I needed to either); I failed to produce any alcohol (since I lacked knowledge of making farms, and brewing). By the 2nd season, all my dwarves died from dehydration. One threw a tantrum before collapsing, but my last sane enough dwarf dug through a brook in order to flood the fortress in a last attempt to hydrate everyone once more; and died not too soon after from, you guessed it, dehydration.

Point and Laugh.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 01:15:08 pm by Itnetlolor »

Earth Striker Lurin

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Go to Work...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 12:59:27 am »

*points and laughs*
"So I looked to the left of me, looked to the right of me, raised the giant's severed arm above my head and said 'Let's go to work...'"   -- Lurin Diamondfist relating the time he had to mine without a pick axe.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 01:07:11 am »

While I was working on Muckgrotto for the DFMC2, a baby drowns in an aquifer while I was digging an aquifer penetration rig.

POINT AND LAUGH.

It turns out that this baby was the first child born to the fortress. And it turns out that it was the child of the mayor and miner, both of the founding seven.

POINT AND LAUGH.

Then, due to a bug, its body disappears, but somehow still produces miasma.

POINT AND LAUGH.

I love this game.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 01:09:44 am by Jim Groovester »
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 02:23:19 am »

Watching a fire imp chase a dwarf, spitting fireballs every few steps. Dwarf finally gets lit on fire. The grass fire from this conflagration kills the rest of the dwarves, because I'm too busy playing with the magma to tell them to dig out quarters. Oh yeah, point and laugh.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 02:23:58 am »

<nelson muntz>

POINT AND LAUGH

I had a good fort going. Had some people die to goblins, but what else is new? I had more crap than any fort needed, just struck gold and pyrite, was melting gobbo crap right and left and making new things for my champions, the walls had cool engravings, etc.

Had another goblin attack.

One of my champions got zerg rushed and killed. He was friends with half the motherfarking fort.  Tantrum spiral ensued. When I finally abandoned, I was down to ten dwarves, three of whom were melancholy, two able-bodied, four resting, one child.

Started a brand new fort in the same region. Striking good stuff right and left. And tHEN, the most dreaded monster of all...

'Dwarf Fortress is Not Responding'

I hadn't yet saved, nor had the seasonal kicked in....

</nelson muntz
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 02:27:21 am by Nyxalinth »
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 02:30:18 am »

40d16 won't work on my computer for some reason.

POINT AND LAUGH.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 04:46:11 am »

I once built a fort over a chasm, not only did it make it difficult to invade, but also makes it easier to dispose of the trash.

One Duke mandated 2 pig iron items, but without any remaining trees or coal, I was out of luck until the trade caravan came. So I figured I'd just off him; I walled him outside.

For once, the caravan actually comes in time, bringing over 100 logs with them. So I sent for someone to deconstruct the wall, but an oopsie in the planning caused a collapse; knocking the Duke and his would-be savior into the chasm.

Then the Duke's consort goes melancholy, and tosses herself AND her baby into the chasm. It turns out that the would-be savior was their daughter.

Their SON, on the other hand goes berserk and starts beating down the remaining 4 children. He succeeds in killing 3 of them before a champion hammerdwarf bashes him across a screen and into the chasm. The last badly hurt child goes melancholy and tosses himself into the chasm. (Un)Fortunately, It turns out all those children's parents died already, so no other tantrums happen.

And as a final insult, a snatcher was caught in a trap and killed.

Oh, and once I've finished trading with the humans, I dump 2 pig iron bars into the chasm.

Point. And. Laugh.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 05:12:31 am »

Magma man sitting at the bottom of the magma pipe, glaring at me because it can't swim the 20-odd z-levels to get to my dwarves.

POINT AND LAUGH
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 09:20:53 am »

Are you a Kurt Vonnegut fan by any chance?

Hi ho.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 09:34:37 am »

I had a mason wall herself off in the remains of a Magnetite vein that I dug out when I was making cisterns for my nobles to have their own wells. I had even done the "suspended-construction of walls" thing to keep this from happening, but apparently she did not want to build the wall on the diagonal.

I saw her do it, and decided to leave her there to die of her own stupidity.

Watching her limp around all hungry amused me to no end.

Also, as a random aside, I did not know until that moment that dwarves could miscarry.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 12:23:23 pm »

After designating a couple screw pumps situated on the edge of the ug rivers drain pipe to be removed in order to use them elsewhere, a full half of the population of my fort (15 to be precise) falls down the ug rivers drain before I notice, tantrum spiral ensues...

Point & Laugh.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.