Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: i think we should stop hating elves  (Read 5460 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: i think we should stop hating elves
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 10:45:17 am »

Cacame Awemedinade would probably disagree with this proposal. Violently.

He is an entirely different situation.

Has he ever attempted to trade us ridiculously large amounts of -rope reed cloth-?
I think Vester is referring to the first post.
 He'll see to it that this traitor is torn limb from limb.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 10:47:56 am »

Drow are a D&D thing only. Copyrighted and trademarked.

And the spider woman is called a drider.

I don't think elves should stop eating people. I think people should start eating elves. Hakuna Matata, the circle of life, and all that jazz.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 11:00:29 am »

I agree with the topic creator. After all, once all Elves are dead there is no point in hating them, is there?

Balathustrius

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
    • In which I post pictures
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 11:01:28 am »

Drow are a D&D thing only. Copyrighted and trademarked.

We can call them dark elves if you like. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You have struck Microcline!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 01:08:49 pm »

Drow are awesome. Sort of like a more emo and less drunken version of dwarves.

Also, drow are kinkier than dwarves.   :D

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2010, 02:04:22 pm »

Drow have no sense at all. Instead of living in a fortress carefully carved into the mountain, they live in giant caverns.

All it takes is a bunch of bored Dwarves to collapse their ceiling and they're toast. No such strategy applies to Dwarf Strongholds.
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
"Well, everything's going to shit, but on the bright side, My coffin industry is doing very well."

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2010, 02:10:13 pm »

The strategy to destroy a dwarven fortress is to drop a single natural block through the roof of their magma chamber, it pierces the floor below and floods the interior of the fortress. The dwarves were foolish enough to provide automated filling mechanisms that will keep the magma pouring in. The dwarves will never make it to the lever to shut if off in time because they will stop in the legendary dining room and get drunk halfway there.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2010, 02:16:53 pm »

Drow would be a good addition to DF.  Droven traders would provide an incentive not to wall off the underground as soon as you pierce it.

Also, one other idea that I've had for a while:  Surface elves use wood for everything, but wood is rare underground.  Perhaps Drow could use titanium instead.  You see, when titanium is implanted into bone, the bone bonds with it very well (thus making it the ideal material for dental implants in real life).  Drow might know of this property, and thus consider it a "living" metal, as acceptable for common use as wood.

Titanium is no adamantine, but it is as strong as steel at about half the weight, and dwarves don't know how to smelt it.  So it would be an attractive trade good.  (The drow would be magically smelting it offscreen.)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2010, 02:31:08 pm »

Drow would probably also use tower caps.

I'm assuming in the new underground caverns tower cap forests will be plentiful.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2010, 04:23:03 pm »

Its a GCE! A Giant Cave Elf!  :D
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2010, 04:54:18 pm »

Its a GCE! A Giant Cave Elf!  :D
According to Wikipedia, driders are drow who have been cursed by high-level priestesses of Lloth.

Generalize this, and we could explain DF's animal men.  The dark elves morph people they dislike into furries of various sorts (not just GCS like in D&D) and evict them as angry guard dogs, while the hippie elves try to expiate their errant cousins' sin by taking care of those victims and children of victims, who wander to the surface.

Of course, most aboveground animal men are based on species not found in caves.  Perhaps the drow druids still know of aboveground species and like to get creative in their cursing.  Or perhaps the aboveground animal men are all children of those morphed generations ago in a time before the drow were banished to the caves.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2010, 10:18:21 pm »

dark elves are underground living elves(also refered as dwarfs)

the above quote should explant it all......

The quote is true, according to Norse mythology.  The Svartálfar, literally "black elves", have all the characteristics of Norse dwarves: born from the earth, greedy, ugly, and turning to stone in daylight. 

A quote from the wiki page (where I got the above information): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_elves
    "No valid distinction though can be drawn between the dwarfs and the dark elves; they appear to have been interchangeable."

Of course, as much as I love the Norse mythology, it doesn't apply directly to DF.  Sadly, DF elves are essentially just primitive cannibals with a wood fixation. 
I look forward to a time when, instead of hating elves because they're annoying, we'll hate them because they're super-powered immortal children who kill "animals" (like dwarves and humans) for fun.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2010, 10:42:49 pm »

born from the earth, greedy, ugly, and turning to vomit in daylight.
DF'ed that for you.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2010, 10:59:04 pm »

Titanium is no adamantine, but it is as strong as steel at about half the weight, and dwarves don't know how to smelt it.

Just because this is one of my pet peeves, the very best titanium alloys are really only able to equal the strength of medium-high carbon (.5%-.6% carbon) low-alloy steel, and only within a narrow range of hardnesses (about 30-42 HRC).  More advanced steels are stronger.  Any steel with a carbon content of 0.5%-ish percent or more can be made harder than any titanium alloy known to man, which is pretty important for cutting implements (through-hardened swords tend to be about 50-52 HRC, and med-high carbon steels can easily be hardened up to about 58 HRC without becoming overly brittle, while titanium alloys have a limit of more like 42 HRC, and tend to become a little more "crumbly" than brittle at high hardnesses).

Pure titanium, on the other hand, is actually about 25% weaker than annealed 90/10 bronze, which itself is about 20% weaker than annealed low-alloy medium-high carbon steel (AISI 1060).

http://www.matweb.com/ is your best friend when doing any mods that involve metal!  I wish there was a similar site about rock.  I really do.

Oh, also, I can forgive eating dead people to grok their essence and whatever else, but elves really need to get the stick out of their collective butt about killing plants being unthinkable.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 11:04:33 pm by Arrkhal »
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

RevolutionaryDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2010, 11:37:24 pm »

I have to admit. The hatred of Elves thing always made me a bit uncomfortable. I'm fine with it, but I can't help but be reminded of real-life racists and the like. I know that they're a fantasy race, and you're all joking, but I... Gah, I feel so strange bringing this up.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6