Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tanning workshop thoughts  (Read 443 times)

Zargen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tanning workshop thoughts
« on: October 17, 2007, 01:49:00 am »

You know, I haven't thought about it untill now. But shouldn't the tannery create a miasma around it? *lol* Because for anyone who has actually been to a tanny would know. They STINK TO HIGH HEAVEN. Like zomg wtf stink. Rotting animals, acidic stinkification of chemicals. Its like, the -last- place you want to be. Five minutes in and your sense of smell would be dead.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tanning workshop thoughts
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 02:32:00 am »

It'd make tanners keep getting negative thoughts.

I like the idea.

The butchery should also generate some sort of smell. Especially if it's processing already dead creatures. I mean they may not be rotten but they're bound to have a little funk already.

So you'd have to do a little extra to keep the tanners and butchers happy.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 02:32:00 am »

Thats the thing about working in a tanny, you end up not being able to smell the stuff after a while, I figure the fortress has about the same smell as a medievil castle, unwashed bodies, garbage, animal waste and corpses all just outside the wall.  It dont smell all that nice but it wouldnt faze any dwarf worth his beard after a while.  Id love to see the dwarves using traditional tanning stuff though.
Tanner cancels collect monkey poo: interupted by goblin masterthief
Tanner cancels flee: Throwing held item.

(yeah its a bit childish but if you saw it happen you would be hard pressed not to smile)

If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Zargen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 08:28:00 am »

A castle has -nothing- on the smell of tanning. They built tannerys FAR from any civilized location.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 05:28:00 pm »

Same with alchemy workshops, I think. Some of the stuff they mixed up must've smelt pretty rare.
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.