Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is it possible to make gender-specific clothing?  (Read 3017 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to make gender-specific clothing?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2014, 09:14:53 am »

Could you make it so that females have a more detailed upper body (if you know what I mean)
and then make it so the clothing covers said details, and males, who don't have the details, aren't able to wear it then?
no

This. As I recall, things like breastplates/tunics cover the upper body. You can't define specific body parts for it to cover, just the next closest attached part. If you told it to do this, it would cover the detailed parts, the arms, etc as well. not effective for what you'd want it to do.
From what I can tell, there a clothes rooted at the upperbody, clothes rooted at the lowerbody, gloves (rooted on grasp parts), and shoes (rooted on stance parts).  You can't make arbitrary clothing items like earmuffs or shinguards or sunglasses, though it'd be nice if you could.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2014, 10:10:58 am »

This is really bothering me. I feel a deep intuition that there's some way to do this, but just can't get it off the tip of my tongue. Every time I see this thread in my feed come up I waste like 10 minutes on crazy schemes. I almost had it once with replacing parts of legs with two lower bodies etc. But no. The quest continues.

(my goal is not necessarily things resembling dwarves, but rather just "two genders of some creature with equal or equal-ish combat toughnesses and characteristics that can wear mutually exclusive clothes")
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 10:20:04 am »

Even if you can make this with some fancy bodypart changes (I am sure you can), the creature would go crazy from "being undressed" thoughts, because you need to cover upper body, lower body and feet with clothing. If you replace these with something else, the AI thinks the creature is naked.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 10:21:48 am »

Wait! Okay maybe I wasn't far off. How about this?

Male: Upper body, attached to it are two lower bodies (filling in for legs), with one foot each attached to them that have STANCE. The upper body then has three arms, two of which have hands with GRASP and one of which just houses the brain.

Female: Upper body, attached to it are two heads (filling in for legs), with one foot each attached to them that have STANCE. The upper body then has three arms, two of which have hands with GRASP and one of which just houses the brain.

Now mod heads and lower bodies to have identical tissue profiles for that species. Then they should be combat-identical, BUT any hats that the species has access to effectively serve as "lady-only garters" and any pants the species has access too effectively serve as "manly-only garters"

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2014, 10:24:00 am »

You dont replace the legs. No one wears trousers on legs. Thats silly. You replace the lower body, thats where the trousers are worn.

Otherwise correct. I had the same idea, using the head. Problem: Your civ cannot wear helmets anymore.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 10:25:10 am »

Oh, I have the solution. :D

Roses upgradeitem script can change items. Simply give the clothing an itemsyndrome that adds interaction to the wearer with 2 syn_classes, one for male, one for female. You call the clothing "lower body garment" or something... and any male that wears it transforms it into a "trouser", while any female that wears it transforms it into a "dress". But only while wearing it.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 10:49:07 am »

You dont replace the legs. No one wears trousers on legs. Thats silly. You replace the lower body, thats where the trousers are worn.

Otherwise correct. I had the same idea, using the head. Problem: Your civ cannot wear helmets anymore.
No you need to replace both. One gender has heads but NOT lower bodies. One gender has lower bodies but NOT heads.
Thus, they each have a unique body part with its own dedicated raw list of available clothing items

PLAN B:
What meph just said, but since I don't want to use scripts, do it in reverse: The CLOTHING is made out of material laced with contact syndromes, that, when worn, change the gender of the WEARER to match the clothing. Thus solving the original problem and also solvig the unequal gender nakedness complaints problem, with only RAWs

Then just add some custom workshop reactions that pump out exclusively either "dresses made of female syndrome cloth" or "trousers made of male syndrome cloth"
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 10:50:43 am by GavJ »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2014, 10:59:05 am »

Contact syndromes dont work like that. You would need the SPATTER_ADD plugin from dfhack for that. Which is pretty much the same amount of work, as using the other script.

In your example, the creature without lower body will think its naked, because it doesnt wear a clothing item on a lower body part. And none of them have actual heads in their head position that allows to wear a helmet.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2014, 11:16:09 am »

I don't see why the gender with head-legs would not be able to wear (two) helmets. On its two heads? Helmets which I happen to be labeling "Lady garters." They both have identical stats unique items, so it's still gender equality!

But yes, there is gender inequality still in the nakedness complaint volumes. But that is trivially solved by just modding them to have NOEMOTION.

Edit: PLAN C:
1) Make males have a hot fixed body temperature.
2) Make females have a cold fixed body temperature. (off by only like 2 degrees)
3) Make workshops reactions that make dresses exclusively out of some material that sublimes at the lower temperatures, and trousers that shatter from cold damage at the higher temperatures.

Won't stop them from putting them on, but will immediately force them to look again until they are all wearing enforced clothing types long term.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 11:20:57 am by GavJ »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2014, 11:34:27 am »

I mean helmet-helmets. Yes, they can wear 2 helmets as pants. But their head will be naked. As in: Will instantly die in any battle.

Plan C wouldnt work.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2014, 11:42:54 am »

I mean helmet-helmets. Yes, they can wear 2 helmets as pants. But their head will be naked. As in: Will instantly die in any battle.

Plan C wouldnt work.
Dwarves get burned by burning clothing. They seem to be thermally connected, why wouldn't it work?

Also, the plan A guys' upper body armor would cover their brain-arms if the UBSTEP was sufficiently large, not a big deal to protect their "heads." And I'm sure there's some sort of random historical type of armor where the helmet is fairly well integrated with the chestplate to justify them being one piece in game. Or just label it "upper body armor set" or whatever. blah blah.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2014, 11:50:49 am »

Wait! Okay maybe I wasn't far off. How about this?

Male: Upper body, attached to it are two lower bodies (filling in for legs), with one foot each attached to them that have STANCE. The upper body then has three arms, two of which have hands with GRASP and one of which just houses the brain.

Female: Upper body, attached to it are two heads (filling in for legs), with one foot each attached to them that have STANCE. The upper body then has three arms, two of which have hands with GRASP and one of which just houses the brain.

Now mod heads and lower bodies to have identical tissue profiles for that species. Then they should be combat-identical, BUT any hats that the species has access to effectively serve as "lady-only garters" and any pants the species has access too effectively serve as "manly-only garters"

This is pure nightmare fuel.
Regards,
Dampe
Pages: 1 [2]