Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Star Wars: Dwarf Fortress [V0.5] Work in Dead  (Read 14928 times)

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: Dwarf Fortress [V0.5] Work in Progress
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 05:13:47 pm »

You could replace HFS with Cortosis.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2010, 01:55:59 pm »

if you make say trolls the AT-ATs with a firebreath or fireball attack
mount tag and  Mechanisms for there body
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Ramirez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 08:27:07 pm »

Seems like a fun mod with quite a bit of potential, so I'll just throw in a couple of my suggestions:

Could you make several different lightsabers for the different size classes? Shortened lightsabers (I forget their real name) for smaller races to wield in 1 hand, ordinary lightsabers for 1-handed use on normal races and possibly dual-phase lightsabers for exclusively 2-handed use. Going a little bit further I would say you could add a double-bladed (sometimes called a staff) lightsaber with it's own weapon proficiency. A similar thing could be done to differentiate blaster rifles and blaster pistols, and adding in disruptor, ion and sonic weapons (for different damage types) is also a possibility. Drills could be replaced with power hammers too.

For a bit of extra immersion I would separate the metal resources into different categories so that you get improved vibro weapons and armour with the better metals (with the best being either cortosis or phrik, with things like mandalorian steel inbetween) done by setting them to ranged weapons and digging tools only. Then it is possible to add "metals" for improved lightsaber crystals and better energy cells for improvements to ranged weapons by setting them to exclusively melee weapons or exclusively ammo. Assigning the gaffi sticks an ammo type (that the faction cannot produce) and a ranged proficiency will make them be treated as a ranged weapon with regards to what they can be made out of.

JagoBallium

• Bay Watcher
  • Bringer of the Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 06:08:13 pm »

I had hoped to flesh out items and weapons more and now I have that opportunity. Since I'm not very experienced in modding could you help by explaining the ranged idea out a little more so I have a better idea as to what I need to get done. In later releases I will be letting out more and more weapons as my modding and balancing skills improve, so the quicker I can get this down, the faster I can get weapons out and the more life like I can make it.

P-Luke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2010, 07:16:56 pm »

It would probably be better to have two civilizations called "The Rebel Alliance" and "The Empire" rather then Jedi and Sith as civilizations.
Perhaps make swordfighters be called "Jedi warrior" and "Sith warrior" respectively?

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2010, 07:32:49 pm »

He said he's gonna put those in later.

Ramirez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2010, 08:26:37 pm »

Basically to restrict what can be built out of what there are a few tags for the metals: [WEAPON][WEAPON_RANGED][AMMO][DIGGER][ARMOR][ANVIL][ANY_USE]

Most of them are pretty self-explanatory for what they let the metal be used for (I believe any_use lets you build mechanisms and quivers out of it, but I'm not sure though). Armor includes shields here.

My idea was to restrict structural metals like durasteel to [DIGGER], [ARMOR] and [WEAPON_RANGED], which would allow players to build blasters and digging implements out of them. Adding a ranged attack and proficiency to the Gaffi sticks and vibroweapons (with the ammunition being impossible to aquire in-game) allows them to be classed as ranged weapons, like blasters. This means your durasteel/mandalorian steel/cortosis/phrik alloys can not be used to produce energy cells and lightsabers, but can be used for blasters, vibroweapons and normal melee weapons. An example for the slight "ranged" weapon hack is below:

Code: [Select]
[ITEM_AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_NULLAMMO]
[NAME:null:null]
[CLASS:NULLAMMO]
[DAMAGE:1:BURN]

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_AXE_VIBROAXE]
[NAME:vibroaxe:vibroaxes]
[DAMAGE:150:SLASH]
[SKILL:AXE]
[RANGED:AXE:NULLAMMO]
[WEIGHT:50]
[TWO_HANDED:7]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:6]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:4]

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_GADERFFII]
[NAME:gaderffi:gaderffi]
[DAMAGE:100:BLUDGEON]
[SKILL:MACE]
[RANGED:MACE:NULLAMMO]
[WEIGHT:50]
[TWO_HANDED:6]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:5]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:3]

By creating a set of "metals" for the lightsaber crystals that can only be used for [WEAPON]s, you will end up with crystals that can only be used for one thing, building lightsabers. They can be made suitably rare and of different qualities to fit your vision of the mod.

Another set of "metals" could be created to form energy cells of differing qualities that only have the [AMMO] tag, possibly only being available through reactions (basically it's like creating a new alloy). This means rather than seeing "durasteel blaster bolts x25" you instead get something like "Arkanian resonance cell blaster bolts x25" or whatever name you choose.

[Anvil] tags can be added to metals depending on whether you think anvils should be a large, industrial fixture or a precise workbench (structural metals if large fixture, lightsaber crystals/energy cells if you want a more high-tech feel).

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 03:26:51 am »

if you make say trolls the AT-ATs with a firebreath or fireball attack
mount tag and  Mechanisms for there body
Firebreath IS the fireball attack. There's a DRAGONFIREBREATH too.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

P-Luke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2010, 10:30:33 am »

He said he's gonna put those in later.

Yes, I know this. However, he said he's going to add these factions "as well", thus I assume he means as seperate factions.
I find the idea of a world where Jedi and Sith live in a 1:1 ratio with non-force sensitives, or worse yet, seeing Sith Fishcleaners, not very accurate.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2010, 02:03:21 pm »

Depends, if there is a Sith Species (Yes, there is one) Sith Fish Cleaners would kinda make sense.

JagoBallium

• Bay Watcher
  • Bringer of the Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2010, 07:34:01 am »

It would probably be for the best if I integrate the sith and jedi into the Empire and Rebellian. Force sensitives rarely would gather in large enough force to oppose large regimes like the empire. If you would rather still have the Sith and Jedi in separate factions, post.

Ramirez, thanks for the explaination, I think I understand just what I have to do for the weapons and such.

Jago suspends the construction of mod: Exams are up

^did I do it right?  :P

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2013, 06:23:24 pm »

bro.
Yes.
I want more of this mod.
Please don't abandon it! Or...have someone else rekindle it! SOMETHING! DON'T LET IT DIIIE!
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2013, 06:54:25 pm »

bro.
Yes.
I want more of this mod.
Please don't abandon it! Or...have someone else rekindle it! SOMETHING! DON'T LET IT DIIIE!

Looks like it died... oddly enough, a few months before DF2010. DF2010 was probably the final nail in the coffin; it changed the raws a lot.

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2013, 08:25:44 am »

With regards to the civilization discussion, when are you wanting this to take place?

The Old Republic era would be the Republic vs the Sith Empire
The Prequel Trilogy would be the the Republic vs the Seperatists
The Original Trilogy would be the Rebel Alliance vs the Empire
The New Republic era would be the Rebel Alliance vs the Yuuzhon Vong
The Hutt Cartels and Czerka are around during all of these eras, though Czerka's undergone some minor name changes

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2013, 01:37:57 pm »

eh, If we went with the original trilogy, then I couldn't be my supahsithy
So, I think it should be the Old Republic.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4