Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Star Wars: Dwarf Fortress [V0.5] Work in Dead  (Read 15134 times)

JagoBallium

• Bay Watcher
  • Bringer of the Dawn
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2013, 03:25:19 pm »

Woah what?

People actually posting here? As far as i remember this wasn't even all that great a thing in the first place, sure maybe some potential for an idea. I could try giving it a hand again if people wanted, not sure how much i could do now considering school's in.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: Dwarf Fortress [V0.5] Work in Progress
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2013, 03:55:02 pm »

Well, if you can at least update it, Ill be happy.
As in, make it work for latest DF.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Baccar Wozat

• Bay Watcher
  • [VAMPOW]
    • View Profile
    • My Fortresses
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2013, 09:54:26 pm »

You realize, of course, that Star Wars was inspired by the Kurosawa masterpiece...

...The Hidden Fortress.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2013, 04:11:35 pm »

Wait really?
If so, than fuck. Dats scary.
And its destiny that this mod is reborn!
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2013, 12:18:48 am »

With regards to the civilization discussion, when are you wanting this to take place?

The Old Republic era would be the Republic vs the Sith Empire
The Prequel Trilogy would be the the Republic vs the Seperatists
The Original Trilogy would be the Rebel Alliance vs the Empire
The New Republic era would be the Rebel Alliance vs the Yuuzhon Vong
The Hutt Cartels and Czerka are around during all of these eras, though Czerka's undergone some minor name changes

Yes, I'm necroing this, and I don't care. I actually like this idea, and am up to playtest this mod if we get it going. A couple notes:

The Yuuzhon Vong are the absolutely scariest creatures in the Star Wars Universe. Let's see, among their abilities:

Absolutely invisible to the Force, disabling the Jedi's most potent offensive ability to cognate the actions of his opponent, as it is dependent on sensing the thoughts of the other.
Also, impervious to any direct Force-related effects, preventing Mind Tricks, force push, pull, and grip.
Technology which is incompatible with Jedi tech.
Technology which is capable of delivering incredible diseases to people, including Luke's wife, Mara Jade.

In essence, I think THIS is the HFS for the mod.
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment
And so, in a thread about cointainers with usele

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2013, 12:24:20 am »

You're just necroing the last most recent necro.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2013, 12:41:08 am »

I actually like this idea, and am up to playtest this mod if we get it going. A couple notes:
You need to make it before you can playtest it :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2013, 04:33:49 am »

a star wars mod would be pretty cool, i think it would be awsome if it was more of a hidden rebel base vibe

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2013, 06:24:00 pm »

My thoughts:

Developing a lot of sentient species would be good.  Can you control, in a civ with multiple creatures, how often these different creatures end up in the civ?  Because the Empire is cosmopolitan but promotes humans first, so humans should be the vast majority of their empire with other races also existing.

The Hutts should be their own, greedy entity with lapsed morals and perhaps some slave races.  Hutts themselves should have natural aptitude for broker skills and probably relatively high intelligence.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Vlad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2013, 12:44:43 am »

This mod would be awesome. How would Jedi and Sith be handled? Would they be special castes in the Rebel Alliance and the Empire?

I could see a fort being made up of regular humans with people with force powers being more rare/special and getting them would be a big deal. Most people would only fight with blasters, with Jedi and Sith being very skilled fighters able to block shots with ease.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2013, 01:05:17 am »

My thoughts:

For each creature that can be force sensitive, create a male and female caste with a rare chance of existing (Species that are commonly Jedi might have slightly higher chances of Force Sensitivity, while other species might have low or NO Force Sensitives at all), your Force Sensitives.  This gives them the FORCE_SENSITIVE syndrome caste and some slight bonuses to like, agility and such to represent heightened reaction time and such from being Force Sensitive.  Can you create your own Secrets?  Because if so, we create 'Secrets of the Light Side/Dark Side'.  One of the spells taught by this secret is 'Awaken Force Potential', which creates a small cloud that passes a syndrome to Force Sensitives which lets them use force powers as well, turning them into Jedi/Sith of their species.

Bear in mind I have no idea how practical this is.

(Also, lightsabers should use an unused skill like Discipline or Druid.  Or maybe Concentration - Skilled Jedi are often portrayed as fast learners.  Perhaps Force Sensitives could have a higher rate of raising Concentration than others, allowing them to more quickly train with lightsabers)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 01:08:30 am by Thuellai »
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

~LegacyCWAL

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2013, 03:20:21 pm »

My thoughts:

For each creature that can be force sensitive, create a male and female caste with a rare chance of existing (Species that are commonly Jedi might have slightly higher chances of Force Sensitivity, while other species might have low or NO Force Sensitives at all), your Force Sensitives.  This gives them the FORCE_SENSITIVE syndrome caste and some slight bonuses to like, agility and such to represent heightened reaction time and such from being Force Sensitive.  Can you create your own Secrets?  Because if so, we create 'Secrets of the Light Side/Dark Side'.  One of the spells taught by this secret is 'Awaken Force Potential', which creates a small cloud that passes a syndrome to Force Sensitives which lets them use force powers as well, turning them into Jedi/Sith of their species.

Bear in mind I have no idea how practical this is.

(Also, lightsabers should use an unused skill like Discipline or Druid.  Or maybe Concentration - Skilled Jedi are often portrayed as fast learners.  Perhaps Force Sensitives could have a higher rate of raising Concentration than others, allowing them to more quickly train with lightsabers)
This mod would be awesome. How would Jedi and Sith be handled? Would they be special castes in the Rebel Alliance and the Empire?

I could see a fort being made up of regular humans with people with force powers being more rare/special and getting them would be a big deal. Most people would only fight with blasters, with Jedi and Sith being very skilled fighters able to block shots with ease.

One of the issues would be creating an entity with multiple species in it, which sorts out the chances of receiving a force sensitive person on each race. As well, you would have a possibility of a Force Sensitive historical character migrating, from any of the species within the entity.

Also, even if you have a Force Sensitive, it would be hard to train him without a trained character training, especially if "Awaken Force Potential" were required, so loadouts would recommend that you include one Jedi/Sith with your original 7, so that other force sensitives could be activated. However, it would be imperative that a method by which one could hone force ability were created, especially for early stage games, in worlds genning only 5 years of history. It would have to be difficult, but doable. The best way, I think, for this to happen, is the creation of a new mood, if that is possible. This mood would have him take over a crafter's shop, taking gem, metal, and other materials, to make a lightsaber. Instead of leveling his crafting skill to legendary, he legendary's in concentration, making him one of the first Jedi. This would have to be pretty rare, but it would allow for the first Jedi to be born.

I think, though, that the syndrome idea would make mooding Jedi rare, since it would limit the number of people who could possibly become Jedi.
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment
And so, in a thread about cointainers with usele

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2013, 03:34:41 pm »

Well, so would a custom mood, assuming that's even possible.

And Jedi ought to be rare.  In a galaxy of billions of sentients, the Jedi Order had a small enough population that its highest echelon was, what, twenty guys?

Force sensitives wouldn't be impossibly rare (probably one in a hundred humans, less for species that are rarely force sensitive like Hutts, more for species that are frequently Force Sensitive like...  whatever Yoda is or Kel Dor) but rare enough that finding one would be a boon.  We could probably add a small indicator, and perhaps have a way to artificially trigger the Jedi/Sith abilities...  Perhaps, like you said, a 'create lightsaber' reaction in a custom shop that also creates a small bit of gas that triggers the force powers but requires a rare crystal (with the various focusing crystals being reagents for different colors of lightsaber - Adegans make blue or green and are the most common, Synthetics can be made by consuming multiple lesser gems and always make red, and rarer crystals that exist at like, diamond rarity could pop up in Adegan clusters, allowing you to get rarer and more valuable colors like orange or purple) 

I don't think there's a way to make it so only Force Sensitives can make lightsabers, but they at least would have a greater rate of learning with them - if we attach it to an unused skill, we can lower that skill rate for other castes, reflecting the idea that lightsabers are clumsy for those not skilled in the force.  On the other hand, if we attach it to concentration, lightsabers are a great training weapon...  huh, perhaps we could include a 'make training lightsaber' reaction, where training lightsabers are considerably weaker but somewhat easier to produce (you can use any lesser gem to pump out a simple training lightsaber).  It wouldn't trigger Force Sensitives into full blown Sith/Jedi, but would allow you to train Concentration, which would theoretically make your soldiers better students as they master the intricate forms of lightsaber combat.

~LegacyCWAL

Vlad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2013, 03:54:28 pm »

Other castes would have to have abysmal learning rates in those skills since custom moods are impossible I think.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4