Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: set as refuse  (Read 504 times)

Mik1o

• Bay Watcher
  • dabbling fortress designer
    • View Profile
set as refuse
« on: October 19, 2007, 02:12:00 am »

I was just wondering if we could have a menu for items we'd want to mark as refuse. Like if i'd (for some reason) want to make all stones be trash and be chasmed with the rest of refuse... Just a thought. This would help to keep the fortress clean of stuff you don't want to be just lying around with no real use.
This would require a menu similar to the managing menu or something.
Just a thought...  ;)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: set as refuse
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 12:10:00 pm »

Once you get the book keeper (you need to start the economy) you get the 'stocks' menu and it sounds like that is what you are describing. you can set anything in your fort to be chasmed, and any metal item to be melted down into bars.

though it does not have a 'melt all' or 'chasm all' button, which would be nice.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 06:27:00 pm »

In the next one you can mark an item for dumping from the look cursor, or it's description page, or the stocks screen.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 03:40:00 am »

What would be really nice would be a way to set it to keep at most X of a certain type of item, and dump the rest.  I'd usually want to keep a supply of stone or bone on hand, for instance, without being overwhelmed by it.

...er, maybe I missed this discussion, but where are they dumping items in the next version?  I thought the chasm was gone.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Klokjammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 03:55:00 am »

The chasm isn't exactly gone, it just wouldn't be in all mountains.  In the next version, you can designate a location for dumping.  You can dig a big garbage pit and dump things in it.  No more walking to the refuse pile after meals, just take it to the garbage chute thats just a few steps from the table.

See the tragic mule video, the pond designation supposedly works the same way.

Code: [Select]
g  <-  This is a goat
g  <-  This is a goblin mason
g  <-  This is a gremlin covered in white paint

Does everyone understand the difference now?