Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Surrender  (Read 10894 times)

Raneman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Surrender
« on: January 08, 2010, 03:18:11 pm »

In Military affairs, how about the ability for either side to surrender.
Post surrender things could be slaving, taking of goods, imprisonment, etc in more evil races.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 05:37:57 pm by Raneman »

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Surrdender
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 05:23:22 pm »

You misspelt surrender.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

kobot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Surrender
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 06:11:05 pm »

you mean something like an option to "Succumb to the Invasion"?

(because that exists)

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 06:12:17 pm »

Yay!  I want to be able to watch while goblins torture and rape my citizens!

Yeah, no.  The current options are probably fine.  Your side can "succumb to the invasion," the other side can run away.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Backpak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 08:09:03 pm »

Footkerchief i have seen you derail about 5 threads today so could you please stop. Or not talk so it may be discussed by the people who want to discus it.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 09:14:34 pm »

If you want to discuss it, that's fine, I won't stop you.  Just know that there's a good chance you'll repeat what others already said, unless you read the threads I linked and try to build on the ideas expressed there.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 09:40:44 pm by Footkerchief »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 09:50:42 pm »

Footkerchief i have seen you derail about 5 threads today so could you please stop. Or not talk so it may be discussed by the people who want to discus it.

I don't see how pointing out similar discussions, thereby bringing more of the community's ideas to attention, is in any way derailing.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 11:06:26 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:20:06 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 12:32:38 am »

Footkerchief has the patience to do something few people seem to: use the search function.  This is an incredibly good thing, because he voluntarily does what others can't seem to be bothered to do.  The reasons for this have already been stated.

For that matter, you didn't start this thread, or brought any input to it whatsoever, so what's it to you?  I know that's being a little harsh, but you should really be more grateful for others doing your work for you.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 12:37:28 am by KenboCalrissian »
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 12:51:01 am »

1. The search function is not quite so easy as all that. You need to remember the right words or phrases.

2. He does seem to be being brasher/less patient than usual.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 06:03:45 am »

Just to try to put something on-topic into the thread I would like to suggest that it would probably be fairly easy to randomly destroy(or transfer to the invader's inventory) 90% of your fortresses wealth, and destroy half your buildings, 10% of your dwarves, and steal all your children to cause all invaders to flee. It would give an option other than do or die...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 07:15:25 am »

A victorious invasion probably draws an unconditional surrender, where the victim just has to take whatever the victor dishes out. i.e. he succumbs to the invasion.

--but what about a conditional surrender. It would be pretty awesome to be able to call for a parley in the middle of a siege, and have you leader or a skilled negotiator meet with the goblin warlord.

It could be like trading with a caravan , except instead of buying goods, you're paying them not to kill all your people.

You might not be able to do that to the less formal raids that happen early on, but a full fledged siege might be susceptible to such tactics.

This saves the goblins the long wait and the battle with your defenders, and it allows you to lose just your hoard, instead of your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress. They could even demand the tribute delivered to your trade depot, in order to recycle some code.

On second thought, they should provide a depot like place to deliver the goods. Knowing the kind of death trap some of the trade depots can be, that would make it too easy to kill the team sent to collect the tribute.

BTW: Nice derail Backpak! That's some nice trolling, what with the framing of somebody else, built right in. /sarcasm
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 07:21:11 am »

Looks like someone still wasn't pleased even after you did the proper search, Footkerchief. It's ironic, but too upsetting to be entertaining.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 01:55:06 pm »

All negotiations should probably be done in the enemy camp, the conditions should also depend on the negotiator skill of the dwarf sent there, if you send a bad person:
Urist McNegotiator:"How many ugly, stinking, goblins does it take to light a torch?"
*sound of crossbows being loaded*
Urist McNegotiator:"Three: One to light the torch, one to worship an ugly demon and one to die in a magma trap!"
*sound of crossbows being fired*
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275
Pages: [1] 2