Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Our city has no place for you

(1/10) > >>

JT:
In this day and age, free really is free.  People can travel anywhere in the country and buy a house there, and will do whatever they please.But in the day and age of Dwarf Fortress, free isn't free.  Dwarves are subject to the whims and laws of their superiors -- they eke out a living and travel if they think they can get a better life somewhere else.  Sometimes these people aren't actually wanted.Enter the ability to turn away immigrants.  By this, I don't mean a population cap, but rather an explicit instruction which you activate within the game while reviewing a new immigrant (anyone with a flashing X).  Don't like the skill set of an immigrant?  Move to the [p]rofile screen and hit "[D]eny immigration" (shift+d, for safety), and boom, the new immigrant is flagged for being deported.Turning an immigrant away can be useful in those cases where you have decided you have a comfortable population but still might consider accepting a skilled (or even unskilled) immigrant here or there.  For instance, I tend to find that I'm getting as many as four, five, or even six mechanics, and can put at most two mechanics to good use.  The others get reassigned as farmers instead.  I would rather turn away these mechanics than have to bother with reassigning them.  It'd be much faster, and even though I'd have to use a Shift+D every time, it's still faster than going into their labour preferences and changing every one of them into something they're not.
There are some rules surrounding denying immigrants:1) Turning away an immigrant creates a bad reputation, which reduces immigrants in subsequent immigrations.  It also damages trade relations with your parent civilisation.2) You require a soldier to turn away immigrants.  The soldier receives a "Deny Immigration" task and approaches the immigrant.  Upon reaching the immigrant, both stand adjacent to one another for a few seconds, inversely proportional to the soldier's best weapon skill -- a dabbling soldier requires about 600 frames to turn away an immigrant, while a legendary soldier requires just 10 frames.  After this time has passed, the dwarf in question becomes a migrant again and leaves the fortress by the best route.3) Immigrants who see an immigrant get turned away get strong unhappy thoughts.  Immigrants whose spouses are turned away become Very Unhappy right away and stand a good chance of becoming melancholic or berserk on fairly short order if they're not also deported.4) Nobles can mandate that all immigrants must be accepted, thereby imprisoning any soldier who attempts a Deny Immigrant task.

Xeirxes:
This seems like a good idea. A lot of players really have trouble handling large amounts of immigrants.

Another:
5) You can tie activation of the ability to turn away immigrants to one of the currently useless nobles making him less useless.

axus:
Sounds good to me, though you might generalize it to being able to exile any dwarf.  It would also make a good alternative punishment to death if the crime doesn't warrant it.

schnobs:
I like this idea very much. The only issue I have with it that it's only available to an already reasonably developed fortress.How about some sort of immigration liason who's always with the caravan? Some slider like with other trade agreements, where you can ask the traders to discourage possible immigrants?"Look, you may think we're rich but frankly about all of it is in the hand of this artisan who had a mood during summer. We're still wearing the clothes we came in and there's not even a proper dining room..."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version