Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

superfluous materials

(1/2) > >>

schnobs:
I regularly suffer the problem of overproduction in some areas. Like, I need plenty of bones for bowyer training. Meat, fat and so on are necessary byproducts, but making use of them poses sort of a problem. Chasming is often the only way, but I don't like it.I wonder, what about some materials that aren't stricly necessary but get used when available?Fat/Tallow might not only be a full worthy ingredient; having fat available would allow the cook to work faster (as meat and stuff doesn't stick to the pots so much). The one unit of fat doesn't appear in the final meal, it got used up. Fat might also be of some use as grease for all sorts of mechanisms.Or you could cook bones and leather into glue. Glue might come in handy in all sorts of craftsworking. Old clothes might be torn up for rags, it's not a proper workshop if it hasn't a constant demand for rags.The idea is that neither of these is absolutely necessary, but work is done faster or with higher quality results when the add-ons are available. It shouldn't even be a vast difference. Just enough to warrant conservation of the material instead of summary chasming.

Stromko:
Those sound like pretty good ideas actually.

Black Hound:
Tallow could be used for candles - invaluable once lighting is made more realistic.

schnobs:
quote:Originally posted by Black Hound:
<STRONG>Tallow could be used for candles - invaluable once lighting is made more realistic.</STRONG>"Invaluable" is just the sort of thing I wanted to avoid with my suggestion. You might end up butchering animals for fat and having no use for skin, bones and meat.Oh vey, the meat... While my bowyer is learning his job, the fortress is basically in carnivore mode. Dogfood, perhaps? Though it might be utterly tastless to feed the puppies to her mother.

Zomg:
You can burn through meat by building baited animal traps in the river/chasm/magma, since they use entire meat stacks. I'm so sick of seeing turtle shell in artifacts that I try to keep my shell stocks as lobster only.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version