Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2698841 times)

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2010, 12:43:10 am »

After installing this i am having problems wit various thing in Windows. Running Vista 32.

My system tray now opens and closes VERY slowly, and the Windows Start menu cannot display the pop-out panels, such as the one the has the shutdown buttons.

I was pretty sure i clicked Yes on all the system32 install choices.

What a piece of shit, if i ever meet this guy on the street I'm gonna headbutt him in the face and break his nose.
I got nothing

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2010, 12:48:43 am »

I wouldn't go that far, it looks like a really cool game, but there are some seriously derpy things in it.  Not a huge deal.

A sort of fix for the thing is to download resizeenable and 360desktop.  Set your resolution way too high via the advanced monitor options, then open resize and 360.  Open all possible windows ever for Aurora, use resizeenable to shrink them to less than 1024 vertical pixels, and then array them across the 360desktop.  Set your resolution back to normal.

It works, but some of the stuff is mashed together, it's not a huge deal if you have a second computer to keep the windows at their regular resolution and read from there, since most of the smashed stuff is near the top.

This isn't nearly as complicated as ADDING A DERPY HERPA DERP SCROLLBAR TO YOUR RIDICULOUSLY HUGE WINDOWS, COME ON MAN
Shoes...

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2010, 01:17:05 am »

this guy needs to have his software development license revoked. He just shouldnt do it.
I got nothing

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2010, 01:43:37 am »

I must say, I have never before played a game that has so much potential. However, the glitches, no scrolling etc, makes me want to throttle my laptop it gets so frustrating.

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2010, 01:48:48 am »

I started a topic in the suggestions forum of Aurora about everyones concerns with a scroll bar and installation problems; Steve really listens to his player base and updates frequently so theres actually a good chance something will be done.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 02:04:16 am by Magnnus »

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2010, 02:48:14 am »

Steve sounds like an alright guy, did he mention where he lives?  ::)
I got nothing

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 11, 2010, 02:59:12 am »

It took most of the day for me to get to the point where I'm building my first scouts and warship.  ::) I've read enough that I understand basic ship design(holy crap the options!)  and research but managing planets, training, and economy I'm still fairly clueless about.

I notice I get error boxes relating to officers gaining experience -I put them on auto-training. I'll post about it tomorrow but now it's time to sleep.

The weapon systems depth is utterly insane.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 03:01:38 am by KaelGotDwarves »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2010, 03:01:42 am »

Any chance of a mac port?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2010, 03:09:05 am »

Sadly, no.

It would make things easier for me as well, but the resolution screw-up needs to be fixed first anyhow.

Steve lives in London, apparently, although he seems lacking in common sense for an Englishman.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2010, 03:47:43 am »

Well, I've been reading the tutorial, and the game is certainly in-depth. I think I'll hold back until I hear some nicer things though, I don't really like the idea of workarounds because I require a resolution larger than my computer can display.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 11, 2010, 07:03:40 am »

I'd love to try this, but seriously don't have the time for it :(
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2010, 11:40:07 am »

I installed it on Linux under Wine and it works. No troubles with installation itself (after carefully reading the official description) but required screen resolutions are almost too much for me.

This looks much more detailed than moo3 and this choice of comparison raises some doubts. Hope still lives however.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2010, 12:52:20 pm »

I installed it on Linux under Wine and it works. No troubles with installation itself (after carefully reading the official description) but required screen resolutions are almost too much for me.

This looks much more detailed than moo3 and this choice of comparison raises some doubts. Hope still lives however.

Really? Got to try on my Ubuntu ... do not have the energy for getting the win version working.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2010, 01:54:24 pm »

After reading through stuff, seems like an awesome game. But I, as most every body else, dont have a superhuge screen. So yeah, this seems like the biggest problem, and from what I read of Steve's post on his forum, he doesnt intend to fix it :(

Does anyone know of some way to atleast resize the font of the game windows? Or maybe Steve could fix that, I'd think it wouldnt take too much code to put the default font of all windows a few sizes lower, and a simple font change might be enough to squeeze in all the extra stuff.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2010, 02:14:38 pm »

[Flames removed - threetoe]