Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 845 846 [847] 848 849 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2705461 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #12690 on: December 06, 2012, 07:01:31 am »

Yeah, but it's annoying. I'm fairly certain that big ones with box launchers can reload themselves.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #12691 on: December 06, 2012, 07:23:05 am »

I seem to be lacking fuel. And raw sorium. SORIUM HARVESTERS, ACTIVATE! Use ~strip solesystemgasgiants of sorium~~

Problem is, building them with engines is expensive and I don't think a tanker on cycled shipping duty will do what he's told. Any suggestions?

Also, how do these ship designs look? I'm not sure If the sensors are designed properly.

Spoiler: Carrier (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Fighter (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 07:26:41 am by Azated »
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12692 on: December 06, 2012, 07:38:37 am »

What levels of fuel consumption and engine power modification are you up to? P.S That carrier has crappy maintenance life. Plus too much hangar space and not enough magazine space.You can fit two hundred fighters in that thing.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12693 on: December 06, 2012, 08:45:12 am »

Is there an easy way to see all the contacts I have at the moment? I suspect I have an NPR ship running around somewhere, but going through every single system on the map is a little tedious.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12694 on: December 06, 2012, 08:58:56 am »

Yeah, but it's annoying. I'm fairly certain that big ones with box launchers can reload themselves.
Nope, box launchers can only be reloaded while the ship is in a hangar. Think those missile pods on combat helicopters.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12695 on: December 06, 2012, 09:37:18 am »

I seem to be lacking fuel. And raw sorium. SORIUM HARVESTERS, ACTIVATE! Use ~strip solesystemgasgiants of sorium~~

Problem is, building them with engines is expensive and I don't think a tanker on cycled shipping duty will do what he's told. Any suggestions?

I usually build them without engines and use tugs to move them into position as they need to move so infrequently. Setting up an order loop to have a tanker move the fuel to a colony works fine from my experience, you can even use the order delay setting so that the tanker isn't making more trips than needed.

Also, how do these ship designs look? I'm not sure If the sensors are designed properly.

Fighter first.

Something is up with your firecontrol as it definetely shouldn't be showing a range of 0. I'd redesign it and SM instant the new design in case something got corrupted when making the previous design.

I'd design a new single fighter engine to replace the 4 you are using, as you will get better fuel efficiency. The difference may be small enough to deal with if you are restricting the number of engine designs for RP reasons.

You will want to build a sensor fighter to accompany your missile fighters if they are not going to carry their own active sensors.

Now for the Carrier.

You really need to add more fuel storage to your carrier. Not only is it only carrying a pittiful ammount for it's own use, but the fighters it carries will need to refuel from it as well. Similarly maintainance supplies, although thats not too bad if a supply ship is along to resupply.

What size engines are you using? If you are using less than size 50 on a ship that size, go back and design some as you will see a big reduction in fuel useage.

Size 5 antimissiles? You are severely reducting both your rate of fire and weight of fire using them instead of size 1 launchers and missiles. Also only one antimissile fire control leaves you very open to being swamped under multiple salvoes.

Size 15 missiles are also rather too big for practical use. Most don't go over size 9 for use in anti-shipping roles, with size 3-6 being most commonly used, unless being used as a launch stage for a multi-warhead missile.

You also appear to not have added any magazines, leaving you with only a single shot. This renders your antimissiles very ineffective as you need to carry sufficient numbers to shoot down multiple incoming salvoes. You also need magazines to carry missiles to rearm your fighters as well.

You currently have no real active sensor to pick up inbound missiles, you need one at resolution 1 for that.

You need to add additional crew quarters to provide flight bearths for your fighters crew, while they are docked. Otherwise they are forced to use their own deployment time.

Can you list what your missile techs are? warhead, agility, fuel efficiency, max power multiplier. That would help to see where your missile design needs improvement.

You can fit two hundred fighters in that thing.

Only if you were somehow using 50 ton fighters. 20 fighters is a quite reasonable load for a carrier of this size.
Nope, box launchers can only be reloaded while the ship is in a hangar. Think those missile pods on combat helicopters.
They can also be reloaded at a colony with maintainance facilities although it takes considerably longer.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #12696 on: December 06, 2012, 10:27:54 am »

Here are some screenshots of my various designs.

Spoiler: Cruiser engine (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fighter engine (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Missile engine (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Blockbuster missile (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: AMM (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fighterwork missile (click to show/hide)
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12697 on: December 06, 2012, 10:34:57 am »

If they're stationed directly on a planet, they'll always be able to reload from the planet. Size has nothing to do with it; any carrier with a sufficiently large hanger or planet (with a missile stockpile) can rearm box launchers.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12698 on: December 06, 2012, 11:13:49 am »

I prefer using the lower powers for my fleetcraft engines, the gain in endurance outweighs the lower speed IMO. Note that this is only really viable to do if you make sure to outrange your enemies, since you'll probably end up slower than them and so won't get in range if they don't com towards you. I don't really have anything to say about the fighter engine, since I've not used fighters in the new version yet, but it seems good.
Again, I don't think the highest power thing is worth it, just bumping it down one notch gives you such a huge range increase (from 22x fuel consumption to 8x iirc) for what I recall as being a pretty small decrease in speed. For AMMs it doesn't matter so much, since I only give those a 2ishm km range.
Bloody huge. You really don't need 26 damage/missile, cut that down to 9 or so. In combat it's much better to have a lot of smaller missiles than a few large ones, since the smaller ones give more targets for the enemy PD, which means more are likely to get through. If there aren't any missiles getting through it doesn't matter how much power each one has, since it's not being used. That's also a fairly shot range, I'd try for closer to a 80m km range at that tech level. If you can spare the RP I'd develop an engine specifically for each type of missile instead of using the same one for all of them, AMMs need a small powerful engine while ASMs can take a larger engine with a bit more fuel efficiency.
That's a really, really long range for an AMM. Unless you're building gigantic sensors to detect missiles at that range most of that range is being wasted. It's also huge, make it size 1 so that you can fire a lot of missiles for each incoming missile, your ASM goes at slightly above 10km/s, which your AMM has a ~50% hit rate for, so you would need at least 2 missiles in the air for each incoming ASM (I'd go with 3 to be on the safe side) otherwise there's going to be leaks, which since your ASMs have such powerful warheads will mean losing ships if you can't fire them quickly enough, and with a size 5 missile you won't be able to. Having smaller AMMs also means you can fit more in your magazines, which means you'll run out much less quickly
This is what your standard ASM should probably be looking like, although I recommend experimenting a bit with how big exactly to make your engine to get the optimal hit chance, or just sticking all of the agility space on engines to try and get past the enemy's PD. Since this is meant to be a fighter missile you might want to take into consideration making it smaller so you can have faster fighters, but since you have box launchers it probably wouldn't make that much of a difference.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12699 on: December 06, 2012, 11:34:52 am »

Is it possible to build orbital box missile platforms?

Basically just a stack of box launchers held together with superglue and duct tape, and controlled by a single fire control. Fires a barrage of small missiles, then gets rearmed in a small carrier later.

Totally possible. Think of it as a small missile boat with no engines or fuel tank. You could carry them around in a hangar bay, or use tugs with tractor beams to tow them into position. If they're stationed in orbit over a populated world, you don't even need to futz about with crew morale. And if there's maintenance facilities, then even that's not an issue. Could drop the deployment time down 0.1 months, and stick just enough maintenance on it to keep it from instantly exploding.

Now the question becomes, is there a point to doing this instead of a missile PDC? There could be, in terms of providing frontier defenses. Even prefab PDCs require some construction capacity and a smattering of minerals to finish the build in its new home. This orbital missile station, by contrast, could be deployed to planets with no construction facilities needed. If the planet has just a light scattering of minerals and a few maintenance facilities (and at least 10,000 population), it can be left indefinitely. The real benefit you're getting is the ability to redeploy. Once built, PDCs are immobile. A cluster of these could be dropped in a "problem" area to provide extra defensive firepower in a pinch, or even brought in to act as extra offensive firepower if a major battle is expected.

Because they'd likely have a very low thermal/EM profile, they could even be used to spring a trap, if designed with a bit more deployment and maintenance life. Quietly tow several of them into position and lure an enemy task force into range.

I've been playing around with making non-mobile "space platforms" to do a lot of long-duration stuff like asteroid mining and terraforming, and then using tugs to tow them into position. I like the results. Saves a lot of resources for all those engines I don't have to build, and it means that I never really need to upgrade my miner or 'former designs. Downside is....SLOW. Especially because I built my tugs for duration so they wouldn't run out of fuel while towing a massive platform three or four systems away. Also doesn't help that my terraformers clock in around a quarter of a million tons. Towing speed is around 250 km/s.  :'(

The good thing is that when I get newer engine tech, I just need to upgrade my tugs rather than a host of ships.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12700 on: December 06, 2012, 02:28:41 pm »

I mostly agree with Mini's points, some additional observations below.

There is not a lot of point in using 50% thermal reduction on engines for a ship this big, you are still going to be showing up on reasonable passives at fairly long range.

Increasing the engine size makes it much more efficient. If you also strip out the thermal reduction this gives.
Spoiler: 600 EP Ion Drive (click to show/hide)

This burns 180 fuel per hour compared with 5*64.8=324 fuel per hour for the same tonnage using your size 10 engines, 80% more efficient while also being 33% cheaper.

I'd agree using lower engine power multipliers for elements that are part of the fleet train is a good idea, although I almost never drop the power below x1.0 for any ships I expect to actually fight.

Thermal reduction may actually be of use here as a fighters thermal signature is small enough that sneaking in close is a reasonable prospect.

If we replace your 4 size 1 engines with a size 4 engine we get.
Spoiler: 84 EP Ion Drive (click to show/hide)

Fuel use is 196.01 per hour versus 4*50.54=202.16 per hour slightly over 3% more efficient. This is small enough that multiple fighter engines remains a viable choice.

Unlike Mini I'd recommend keeping the maximum power multiplier. Speed is king for missiles, and fuel usually remains a fairly small size required as long as you are not trying for extremely long range. If you do want long range instead make a two stage missile,  with a low power, long range first stage and a max power, low range second stage with the warhead.

You definetely want to design specific missile engines for each size of missile though, as the diffence in fuel efficiency is enormous.

You really don't have high enough tech sensors to be putting actives on AMM's, I'd even be doubtful about putting them on ASM's. Research up your EM sensor tech to at least 11 and another couple of levels of active sensor strength before putting active sensors on your missiles, it is currently crippling them.

By not placing a sensor on the missile you can create

Slightly faster, slightly less accurate, shorter range but still perfectly sufficient for an AMM and 1/5th the size. A size 1 launcher for this will also be firing every 10 second instead of every 40, so improved rate of fire as well.

You fighterwork missile is pretty good as a standard ASM. I'd personally use a size 6 missile like this.

Which is somewhat faster and longer ranged, but more importantly fits neatly into a capacity 18 magazine, which can be fairly easily researched.

As has already been said, your blockbuster missile is only likely to be effective against targets with no anti-missile capabilities.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12701 on: December 06, 2012, 03:55:58 pm »

Couple of things I mentally noted comparing the 4 size 1 fighter engines against 1 size 4 engine:

1. Crew requirement actually goes up (7 vs. 4)
2. Total HTK goes down (2 vs. 1x4). Additionally, if you lose that engine, you're dead in the water vacuum. If you have 4 and lose a couple, you can hope to limp back to base/carrier.
3. Research cost obviously goes up.

For those reasons (especially #2), I prefer multiple small fighter engines vs. a single larger thruster. It's a hair less efficient, but fighters aren't designed for efficiency, they're designed for high-speed, adrenaline-junkie, suicide-in-a-box type missions. Fire all of your guns at once and explode into space.

Though, I am heavily considering redesigning my tugs with a few massive engines rather than 15 standard commercial (size 25HS, -50% power) engines.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Cockyy

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels task: Interrupted by Vomit
    • View Profile
    • You're mother.
« Reply #12702 on: December 06, 2012, 04:23:05 pm »

Turns out i've been a few versions behind, despite grabbing what was listed as the latest version from the official forum.

So I upgraded to 6.20 and I don't seem to have the choice to build Commercial engines now. No drop down menu, all engines are Military. Something seems broken.
There was a signature here. Now it's gone.

;__;

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12703 on: December 06, 2012, 04:27:52 pm »

Turns out i've been a few versions behind, despite grabbing what was listed as the latest version from the official forum.

So I upgraded to 6.20 and I don't seem to have the choice to build Commercial engines now. No drop down menu, all engines are Military. Something seems broken.
You need to increase size to 25+ and efficiency above/ below a certain level before it switches to commercial.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12704 on: December 06, 2012, 04:28:33 pm »

It's based on size/efficiency now. I think that they have to be at least... 25 HS in size to be classified as commercial? Something like that.
Pages: 1 ... 845 846 [847] 848 849 ... 1346