Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 846 847 [848] 849 850 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2705523 times)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #12705 on: December 06, 2012, 04:30:23 pm »

Engine redesign has been redone. An engine is considered to be a commercial engine if it is large AND efficient. Details here.

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Cockyy

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels task: Interrupted by Vomit
    • View Profile
    • You're mother.
« Reply #12706 on: December 06, 2012, 04:32:18 pm »

Ah I understand now. Thanks fellas.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 04:41:10 pm by Cockyy »
There was a signature here. Now it's gone.

;__;

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12707 on: December 06, 2012, 04:40:59 pm »

EDIT: And then I tested it and everything up to a 50HS engine is Military and I can't go any higher. Hmm.
In addition to the size requirement, you have to lower the power ratio to -50% or lower to be commercial.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Cockyy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • You're mother.
« Reply #12708 on: December 06, 2012, 04:41:41 pm »

EDIT: And then I tested it and everything up to a 50HS engine is Military and I can't go any higher. Hmm.
In addition to the size requirement, you have to lower the power ratio to -50% or lower to be commercial.

Mmhmm I removed my edit just as you posted this, my bad. Thanks though.

Weird though, every few increments I get an "Add New Officer" pop-up for naming a new officer, while the rest of my officers are automatically named. It's sort of annoying.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 09:48:24 pm by Cockyy »

;__;

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #12709 on: December 06, 2012, 09:59:43 pm »

I'll get to work on redeisgning my ships before I go to war. Thanks for all the input.

Couple of things I mentally noted comparing the 4 size 1 fighter engines against 1 size 4 engine:

1. Crew requirement actually goes up (7 vs. 4)
2. Total HTK goes down (2 vs. 1x4). Additionally, if you lose that engine, you're dead in the water vacuum. If you have 4 and lose a couple, you can hope to limp back to base/carrier.
3. Research cost obviously goes up.

For those reasons (especially #2), I prefer multiple small fighter engines vs. a single larger thruster. It's a hair less efficient, but fighters aren't designed for efficiency, they're designed for high-speed, adrenaline-junkie, suicide-in-a-box type missions. Fire all of your guns at once and explode into space.

That was my general thinking for military ships. If a single large engine is hit, they lose a lot of maneuverability and speed. However, if a few small engines are hit, they only lose small amounts of power at a time.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12710 on: December 06, 2012, 10:05:16 pm »

Nevermind.

Cockyy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • You're mother.
« Reply #12711 on: December 06, 2012, 10:09:32 pm »

Oh god in combat for the first time ever and I have no idea what is going on. I can clearly see enemy contacts. Very close to my ships in fact, but there isn't a single contact listed on the Combat Overview.

Plus I ordered my Battlegroup to move to them and now they have a permanent "Awaiting Acknowledgement" at the end of the order, while they idle in space and get bombed every 10 seconds.

I googled it and checked the wiki, no mention of it. RIP Battlegroup.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 10:11:28 pm by Cockyy »

;__;

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12712 on: December 06, 2012, 10:15:34 pm »

Plus I ordered my Battlegroup to move to them and now they have a permanent "Awaiting Acknowledgement" at the end of the order, while they get bombed every 10 seconds.

Did you do any task force training with that fleet? If it's not 100%, then they're be a delay before they execute any orders. Normally you don't see it since the delay is less than an hour, and outside of combat you rarely go in increments below a day (at least for me). You can do task force training under the orders window. I forget which tab it's in though. Training takes... a lot time, but you should have plenty of time before your first combat to do it in.

I don't know anything about the Combat Overview thing though.

Cockyy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • You're mother.
« Reply #12713 on: December 06, 2012, 10:19:58 pm »

Plus I ordered my Battlegroup to move to them and now they have a permanent "Awaiting Acknowledgement" at the end of the order, while they get bombed every 10 seconds.

Did you do any task force training with that fleet? If it's not 100%, then they're be a delay before they execute any orders. Normally you don't see it since the delay is less than an hour, and outside of combat you rarely go in increments below a day (at least for me). You can do task force training under the orders window. I forget which tab it's in though. Training takes... a lot time, but you should have plenty of time before your first combat to do it in.

I don't know anything about the Combat Overview thing though.

Ah, well my first combat is only 6 years into a new game and I had no idea about Task Force Training.

May my fleet rest in peace.

Ahaha, goddamn. In my hurried and panicked Corvette design and construction upon first contact, I appear to have actually forgotten to put the Active Sensors I made onboard the ship. Truly I am showing my newbie colours.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 10:24:32 pm by Cockyy »

;__;

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12714 on: December 07, 2012, 01:47:10 pm »

Happens to all of us. I still occasionally get all the way through to a finished ship, only to find out that I forgot to put engines on it.  :'(
Learning curve all up in this hizzy.

I do kinda wish there was a "prototyping mode" where you could design a ship (or even components) and then run computer simulations of it before committing to a design.

Well...I guess there *is* in that you can run a second installation of Aurora and SM the appropriate levels of tech, SM everything into being, and then do live-fire trials....

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12715 on: December 07, 2012, 01:50:36 pm »

Or you can just use SM mode to change your design after the fact and pretend it was always designed perfectly.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12716 on: December 07, 2012, 02:16:14 pm »

I don't know what you're talking about. I always get my designs right the first time around.

/blatantlies

Anyhow, time to start another B Mashina style campaign like I did a few versions ago. 500,000 people, conventional tech, far-flung colony. Earth in ruins, the rest of humanity dead. Three 1000% difficulty NPRs, 80% NPR spawn rate, Precursors and Swarm on. It's go time. :))

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12717 on: December 07, 2012, 02:25:52 pm »

Or you can just use SM mode to change your design after the fact and pretend it was always designed perfectly.

That feels more like cheating. The former method feels like the real process of prototyping, weapons ranges, wind tunnels, etc.

I started a new game in 6.2 with an SM race starting in orbit around Fomalhaut, then added Sol and created an NPR Terran Federation, and an additional NPR at random. My goal?
Find and conquer Earth before anyone else does.

Problem? I might have broken the pathfinding. I had to create a crapload of systems to be able to generate something as far away as Fomalhaut (~25 LY distant), and then went back and deleted most of those systems (but not all). Now I somewhat regularly get "Path not found" errors, which I'm guessing come from the NPRs exploring JPs that linked to now non-existent star systems?

I finally went and used dev mode to check out the humans' galactic map, to see if we were getting close to contact or not. It's not encouraging. They've gone 34+ LY out in some directions, but have unexplored JPs just one or two systems away, and no common stars at all. Meanwhile, every single system I've found seems to be moving me further away from Earth rather than closer.

lordofthenothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12718 on: December 08, 2012, 08:26:29 am »

I want to delete Aurora, but it says it's over 50 GB. Does it counts system32 too? Is it safe to delete it?

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12719 on: December 08, 2012, 08:41:29 am »

redking, is it possible that you deleted the only chain between earth and your solar system?
Pages: 1 ... 846 847 [848] 849 850 ... 1346