Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 851 852 [853] 854 855 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2709353 times)

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #12780 on: December 15, 2012, 04:49:55 pm »

Comets in Sol are almost always saturated with minerals.  I'd survey those before checking out any asteroids. The only thing that sucks is there are no conditional orders for just surveying comets so you have to check the System Map for which comets are close by and manually queue all of them up.

I hope someone can help me...  I'm running Vista, and when I open Task Manager and try to set Aurora.exe to "high priority" I get a message saying access is denied.  I'm running Aurora as administrator... can't figure out how to make it happen.

Wait, you can colonize a COMET?

How are you supposed to mine it?
I need to put something interesting here.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12781 on: December 15, 2012, 04:52:32 pm »

Automine+mass driver is what I do.  You can use asteroid mining modules, but I haven't messed with those.  From what I gather it's best to build ships with the mining modules with no engines and tug them into position.

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12782 on: December 15, 2012, 04:53:10 pm »

Automine+mass driver is what I do.  You can use asteroid mining modules, but I haven't messed with those.  From what I gather it's best to build ships with the mining modules with no engines and tug them into position.

How do you "tug" them into position?

But you're implying you can actually colonize a COMET.

Like, the things hurtling through the solar system? You can colonize that?
I got to try it.

No fucking shit, you really can colonize comets.

And the Faye comet actually has resources on it as well. Thanks mate, you just saved my industry. Too bad it doesn't have that fuel, I got to check out more.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 04:58:36 pm by Gamerboy4life »

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12783 on: December 15, 2012, 04:58:58 pm »

Yeah, I think in 6.0 (not sure) the number of comets was upped.  There's usually 20ish in Sol and for me, they have ALL always had very nice mineral deposits with good accessibility.  Just make it a colony like normal.  Like I said, I've never used the mining modules, just automines.  From what I've learned lurking: to "tug" you need a ship with basically just fuel, engines, and a ship-to-ship tractor beam.  Keep in mind when it's "towing" the two ship's weights are added to determine speed so you want a decent number of engines on your tug. As far as how to set up the orders, I'm sure it's straightforward but you will have to try it or wait for someone else to fill you in.

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12784 on: December 15, 2012, 05:06:31 pm »

Yeah, I think in 6.0 (not sure) the number of comets was upped.  There's usually 20ish in Sol and for me, they have ALL always had very nice mineral deposits with good accessibility.  Just make it a colony like normal.  Like I said, I've never used the mining modules, just automines.  From what I've learned lurking: to "tug" you need a ship with basically just fuel, engines, and a ship-to-ship tractor beam.  Keep in mind when it's "towing" the two ship's weights are added to determine speed so you want a decent number of engines on your tug. As far as how to set up the orders, I'm sure it's straightforward but you will have to try it or wait for someone else to fill you in.

Ah, thanks.

I haven't unlocked the tractor beam, and I have hardly enough research labs to go around. I'll wait a year or two. In the meantime, I'll try making a prototype fleet of 5 or so asteroid miners, with some of my Donkey's to carry their shit if need be, and then some tankers for long distance journeys.

I love this game.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12785 on: December 15, 2012, 05:13:13 pm »

Gas giant's usually have lots of sorium, but you a need a sorium harvester (in construction/production) mounted on a ship to use it.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12786 on: December 15, 2012, 05:18:42 pm »

I think I have a sorium harvester tech.

I'll make a few of those as well, to orbit Jupiter or something, while my Asteroid miners get me the Duranium, etc.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12787 on: December 15, 2012, 05:22:13 pm »

Remember to put plenty of fuel tanks on your harvester ships as it processes the sorium directly to fuel. You will also want to make sure that the tanker checkbox is ticked in the class design for it.

Wait, you can colonize a COMET?

How are you supposed to mine it?

Automines, asteroid miners or tug some orbital habitats over and set it up as a normal colony with mines. Alternatively wait and let the civilians set up CMC's on them. (note they will only set them up if there is a good supply of minerals at good accessability and you don't have a colony of your own there.)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 05:27:04 pm by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12788 on: December 15, 2012, 05:26:00 pm »

Remember to put plenty of fuel tanks on your harvester ships as it processes the sorium directly to fuel. You will also want to make sure that the tanker checkbox is ticked in the class design for it.

Alright, noted.

I have a commercial shipyard retooling to the "Pickaxe", the asteriod miner I designed. It will be done in a couple months, meanwhile I am still sending automated mines to the Faye, and factories/infrastructure to Mars.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12789 on: December 15, 2012, 07:58:21 pm »

I have recently been able to download this game and have done so.  I don't want to use a walkthrough, so do you have any tips for starting a 100 million population conventional empire?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12790 on: December 15, 2012, 08:08:02 pm »

I have recently been able to download this game and have done so.  I don't want to use a walkthrough, so do you have any tips for starting a 100 million population conventional empire?

Expect a fairly slow buildup. Obviously not as slow as one of my 500,000 population conventional starts, but in the same vein. You'll probably be deactivating a lot of your industry for long periods of time due to insufficient workers, and your tech will be very slow with the lab numbers you'll get. On the plus side, as with all conventional starts wealth won't be a problem because you won't be spending very much. With that sort of population and the normal industry for it I'd put a rough guess of ~20 years before you can get a primitive geosurvey vessel out, ~30 before a full geosurvey of Sol, and ~50 before you first jump to another system. Estimates might be a bit conservative though, as I tend to play defensively.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12791 on: December 15, 2012, 11:43:16 pm »

I'm playing a normal conventional game right now, and it only took me 10-15 years to put out a geosurvey vessel, and another 2 or 3 years after that to finish geo-surveying the Sol system.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12792 on: December 16, 2012, 12:12:41 am »

I'm playing a normal conventional game right now, and it only took me 10-15 years to put out a geosurvey vessel, and another 2 or 3 years after that to finish geo-surveying the Sol system.

Which is why I put that note at the end. I typically wait until TL 3-4 (around Ion drives) before I think about building geosurvey ships, and until TL 5ish before I leave Sol. Bottom line is that the more you explore, the more likely you are to run into spoilers. Precursors aren't bad past TL4 or so, but the second will fuck you up if you don't have good enough drive tech, while the third (if you leave it on) will ruin your day unless you're at medium tech (I'd say high 5-7) and have a substantial tonnage advantage (5:1 is usually good at TL6). But the main issue is that lowering starting population has a dramatic effect on your ability to simultaneously run multiple lines of research while also running your industry and expanding shipyards; labs take up a lot of workers.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12793 on: December 16, 2012, 01:17:46 am »

Yeah, I just put out some geosurvey vessels once I got thermal engines.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12794 on: December 16, 2012, 03:38:04 pm »

Estimates might be a bit conservative though, as I tend to play defensively.

I will be playing defensively.  I changed the settings to have 50 computer controlled empires genned and activated the precursors, swarm, and invaders...I'm going to lose badly aren't I?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon
Pages: 1 ... 851 852 [853] 854 855 ... 1346