Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 853 854 [855] 856 857 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2696139 times)

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #12810 on: December 17, 2012, 03:25:02 pm »

Yep. If you have a game with Invaders, it will die. No exceptions.

Not quite, at least from my past experiences. You can have Invaders as long as you disable the other two spoiler races.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12811 on: December 17, 2012, 05:26:52 pm »

Spoiler: Patch annoyance (click to show/hide)

Why can't I get Aurora working right on this PC? I resize the windows but then the important parts are unreadable or just gone from the resizing [like buttons and tab areas] I can post pictures but I'd rather just know how to get it to work. I miss this game.

Note: Windows 7 with a 1280x960 monitor. I figured this would be able to work with a little shifting, but nope.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12812 on: December 17, 2012, 05:49:55 pm »

Yep. If you have a game with Invaders, it will die. No exceptions.

Not quite, at least from my past experiences. You can have Invaders as long as you disable the other two spoiler races.

And then never, ever turn them back on. Which, frankly, makes for a subpar game, IMO.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

FluidDynamite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12813 on: December 18, 2012, 06:39:11 am »

A quick question, apologies if this has been asked before because I was unable to find it: Does the difficulty modifier for NPRs apply to NPRs that are "found", i.e. not the original ones generated at start? More specifically, what would one expect to see in game if I set starting NPRs to 0 and generation chance to 100%, but crank up the difficulty modifier really high? Thanks in advance!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12814 on: December 18, 2012, 07:04:53 am »

Yup it does. You'll find NPRs on every habitable planets (which might be quite rare, especially with "real stars" on). And those NPRs will have hundreds of ships each.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12815 on: December 18, 2012, 07:32:42 am »

Rather pleased with myself. Created an Excel file with the celestial coords for every system so far in my Real Stars, and distance from Sol, and a little formula to generate distance from my homeworld system (70 Ophiuchi in this case).

Yes, I'm an astronomy nerd.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12816 on: December 18, 2012, 07:33:31 am »

Do you have one of those fancy 3D map you hinted at?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12817 on: December 18, 2012, 11:26:29 am »

Do you have one of those fancy 3D map you hinted at?
Sadly, all the tools I used for that are on my currently wrecked desktop. If the HDDs are salvageable, I hope to crank one out.

Actually, what I'm doing now as a mini-project is gathering the data for all ~2000 Real Stars (distance from Earth as well as celestial x,y,z) so that I can do three things:

1. Create a distance finder tool that would allow you to find the distance between any two given stars easily, or the entire array of stars from a given origin star.

2. Create a 3D map of the Real Stars universe.

3. Input all that into Astrosynthesis so I have a master template to use in future games, so I don't have to manually input some of the more obscure or more distant stars each time (AstroSynthesis comes with a preload of all stars within 15LY of Earth, but that's a pretty tiny list and doesn't contain some of the more recently discovered dwarfs).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

FluidDynamite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12818 on: December 21, 2012, 09:42:30 pm »

A quick question, apologies if this has been asked before because I was unable to find it: Does the difficulty modifier for NPRs apply to NPRs that are "found", i.e. not the original ones generated at start? More specifically, what would one expect to see in game if I set starting NPRs to 0 and generation chance to 100%, but crank up the difficulty modifier really high? Thanks in advance!

Yup it does. You'll find NPRs on every habitable planets (which might be quite rare, especially with "real stars" on). And those NPRs will have hundreds of ships each.

Posting back to confirm that this does indeed work, I found a NPR 4 jumps from sol, and apparently they already have a fleet of at least 40 ships of 28K tons while my entire military consists of 7 7K ton destroyers, heh. Another advantage of doing this is that early game is so much faster this way.

On a completely unrelated note, has hyper drive been taken out from 6.21? I can't seem to find the settings for designing hyper-capable engines in the Create Research Project, and I have already researched Hyper Drive Efficiency up to 1.4.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12819 on: December 21, 2012, 10:02:47 pm »

Just genned up a new location.

number of comets on the inside of the orbit of saturn: ~9
location of three jump points: right next to an astroid, right next to the orbit of mars, right next to the orbit of venus.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12820 on: December 21, 2012, 10:21:50 pm »

Some aliens must have gotten bored and decided to go on a pointless project of moving the jump points to a convenient spot for the inevitable Human Inquisition which obviously nobody expects.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 10:29:21 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12821 on: December 21, 2012, 10:43:57 pm »

On a completely unrelated note, has hyper drive been taken out from 6.21? I can't seem to find the settings for designing hyper-capable engines in the Create Research Project, and I have already researched Hyper Drive Efficiency up to 1.4.

Yes it was taken out during the move to 6.0 and hasn't been put back in yet. I think Steve said that he wanted to do some work on it, perhaps leading to civilian shipping actually using it.

Just genned up a new location.

number of comets on the inside of the orbit of saturn: ~9
location of three jump points: right next to an astroid, right next to the orbit of mars, right next to the orbit of venus.

I though that there were no longer any random comets in the Sol system, now that Steve has added the real comets?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 10:50:29 pm by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12822 on: December 22, 2012, 01:26:57 am »

The real comets tend to be in somewhat random places, i'm wondering if during generation they just get placed somewhere random within the inner and outer bounds of their orbit, I doubt steve would have bothered putting in some kind of check to make sure planets/moons/comets are actually in the exact right place during some arbitary year, then calculate the approximate position they would be in at the year you wanted to start at...
But maybe he did?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12823 on: December 22, 2012, 01:45:09 am »

Quote from: Steve Walmsley
I have replaced the random Sol comets with 25 real comets. The furthest point of their orbit from the Sun is correct for all the real comets but the current distance in that orbit will be randomised for each game.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12824 on: December 22, 2012, 05:37:07 pm »

The real comets tend to be in somewhat random places, i'm wondering if during generation they just get placed somewhere random within the inner and outer bounds of their orbit, I doubt steve would have bothered putting in some kind of check to make sure planets/moons/comets are actually in the exact right place during some arbitary year, then calculate the approximate position they would be in at the year you wanted to start at...
But maybe he did?

Heh, that would be a bit much even for him. I now fully expect to see it in Aurora 2.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 853 854 [855] 856 857 ... 1346