Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 854 855 [856] 857 858 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2702276 times)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #12825 on: December 22, 2012, 09:48:21 pm »

Yeah, the position of planets along their orbits is randomized as well.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12826 on: December 22, 2012, 10:37:05 pm »

I've finally started playing 6.2, I've set up a small orbital habitat colony around Jupiter then deleted earth, and set dust and radiation levels at 10000, as well as set mineral levels to .1.
It isn't Impossible to play with a low population if you're set up right.
I have a 30 million population habitat named tranquility set up around the innermost moon, industry was very carefully set up, I think it supports 200 factories, a small starting fleet of freighters, asteroid miners and fuel harvesters are keeping things running smoothly, as well as 200 automines distributed around the giants moons (i used spacemaster to ensure some small low access deposits are around the jovian system's moons to make things a bit easier). The one thing i forgot was to start with some liners, the credit crunch has hit and I've only managed to offload half a million to titan, but things are going quite smoothly.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12827 on: December 27, 2012, 01:26:04 pm »

Anybody know the mechanics of how the space bees are spawned in to start? I ask because I recently started up a new 6.2 game, Sol start. Fast OB'd myself seven survey ships and raced off exploring. By 2032, I'd explored a nice little chunk around Sol but of the four jump points, two went directly to Precursor-controlled systems. So I ignored those and focused on the other two. Had fully mapped them 2-3 jumps out. Then all of a sudden I start running into Swarm Queens in three different adjacent systems that I had already "cleared". I'm looking at a situation where almost every JP out of Sol leads to certain death.  :D

Tried a squadron of missile destroyers against a Queen at long range....laughable at best. AMS takes out 3/4 of my missile volleys, the remainder do about 40 damage to shields, which is fully regenerated before the next volley can get there.

Earth is doomed! DOOMED!!!

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12828 on: December 27, 2012, 01:44:10 pm »

There is no point in launching missiles at the Queen. She can easily be outrun and outranged (>=120k km) by early 15cm beam guns of your choice. A single large meson cannon will kill her slowly but surely.

One to three or maybe more Queens may spawn initially and when there is nothing to do in a system - they move to a next one.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12829 on: December 27, 2012, 02:13:27 pm »

Yeah, thankfully they don't seem to be deploying warrior drones. But there's a LOT of asteroids floating those systems.

Good point on the mesons...I'll have to whip up a meson frigate design and plink away at them before they can get established and start Von Neumann'ing me to death.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12830 on: December 27, 2012, 02:20:59 pm »

Hey, can someone help me? I know it's a nooby question and all but I can't figure out how to assign a Governor to Earth. I clicked assign and everything but nothing is happening.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12831 on: December 27, 2012, 02:38:13 pm »

Hey, can someone help me? I know it's a nooby question and all but I can't figure out how to assign a Governor to Earth. I clicked assign and everything but nothing is happening.
Did you click "assign" on the officers' page after selecting Earth and a leader with sufficient administrative level? (The one with officer statuses and pointless bio details.)

I ask because there is an assign button on colony management page for different stuff and trying to assign a Governor there was like my first mistake in Aurora more than a year ago.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12832 on: December 27, 2012, 03:40:18 pm »

Did you click "assign" on the officers' page after selecting Earth and a leader with sufficient administrative level? (The one with officer statuses and pointless bio details.)

I ask because there is an assign button on colony management page for different stuff and trying to assign a Governor there was like my first mistake in Aurora more than a year ago.
Hang on, just figured it out. I had to highlight the position "Governor of Earth" rather than the spot just below that said "Unassigned". Hopefully this is the most trouble I'll have with the interface, knock on wood.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12833 on: December 27, 2012, 07:53:39 pm »

so I just started and am at this point of the tut
\

Adding Shipyard Production Orders

The next tab to go to is Manage Shipyards. This is where you will build your ships. If you let the computer design your first ships then you can go directly to assigning designs to different shipyards. It usually helps to open up the ship design screen (F5) to check what each ship does.
Make sure that when you assign them that the biggest possible design is given to each shipyard. You do not want to have your largest shipyard capable of building 20000 ton ships working on 1000 ton gunboats. The first time you assign a design to a shipyard it happens immediately, afterwards it will take some time for the shipyard to retool to build the new design. While it is retooling you can continue to build ships that had already been started. You will not be able to start any new ships untill you finish retooling.
You can build any ship you want in the military (naval) shipyards. Only civilian designs can be build in the commercial shipyards. Commercial/civilian designs tend to be much larger than military ships. Civilian shipyards start at 10,000 ton capacity and build up faster than military shipyards that start at 1,000 ton capacity. Play around with what you want to build. You will need one freighter design and one colonist design to start a new colony. To survey for warp points you will need a Gravitational Survey ship (this is going to be a military design). To survey for minerals on the planets, moons, and asteroids you will need a Geological Survey ship (this can be a civilian design). To transit a warp point you either need a ship with a jump engine, or you need an existing jump gate.
To build a ship click on the shipyard and then go to the create task area. Choose which ship that this particular shipyard is capable of building and make sure that the task group the ship is being built in says shipyard tg. If a ship is being built in a TG that has ships in it the ships can not move without changing their TG(task group). Then click on the add task. Each shipyard has a number of slipways, each slipway can build one ship at a time.
Starting Research

can someone help me out? I go to create task, and it loses me there...
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12834 on: December 28, 2012, 09:12:51 am »

You're going to have to be a little more specific as to what's not working.

With shipyards, you have to tool them to a specific ship design before they can do much of anything. This is limited by the type of yard (commercial or naval) and the max tonnage limit. Once they're tooled to a design, you can select four tasks:

Construction (build new ships)
Repair
Refit (allowing you to convert one class of ship to another -- useful for minor upgrades or variants)
Scrap

Scrap is something of an odd bird: You can scrap any size vessel at any yard, and it occurs at the same rate regardless. So if you're scrapping something big, pick a utility yard that you don't use a lot.

Typically, I find that I want at least five commercial yards and three naval yards within the first ten years:

Commercial
1: ~100,000 ton range (asteroid miners)
2: ~65,000-70,000 ton range (jump gate constructors)
3: ~35,000 ton range (combination colony/cargo ship yard)
4: ~22,000 ton range (brigade-level troop transport)
5: variable range (tugs)

Naval
1: ~7,000 ton range (jump destroyer)
2: ~5,000 ton range (supporting frigates, typically missile boats)
3: ~4,000 ton range (all-purpose jump-capable geo/grav surveyor)

But then that's just how I tend to roll early on. Eventually I might add a large commercial yard for terraformers, a naval yard for carriers, and/or additional commercial yards for battalion- and division-level transports (when my settlements get scattered pretty wide, I like having a few fast single-battalion capacity transports as a rapid-response force to send in reinforcements or to move garrison battalions to worlds with unrest; and a couple of megatransports that can pick up and ferry an entire division as a single unit).

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12835 on: December 28, 2012, 12:41:58 pm »

One thing to note is that the size of your military yards will depend a lot on personal preference/tech level. When I do a conventional start I probably won't build any military ships in the first 10 years. The sizes for commercial vessels are pretty universal, so one can basically use those 4 yard sizes for the entire game. (I suppose some people have 100,00+ ton commercial yards for really big terraforming stations and the like, but I usually just slap an orbital habitat on it once it gets that big and build it on the ground.)
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12836 on: December 28, 2012, 12:59:53 pm »

The problem with orbital habs is that they have a crew morale requirement now just like ships. And they're a hell of a lot harder to move. I suppose if you didn't mind it being OMFGbig, you could build a recreation module into the orbital hab, so it would have unlimited "on-station" time. But then you're talking probably 300,000-400,000 ton range. Which means either building a bigass tug or putting a ton of engines on it, and either way it's going to craaaaaaawl.

I typically make my long on-station vessels like terraformers, fuel harvesters and asteroid miners to be 100,000+ ton ships with a crew duration of say, 1200 months. Although lately I've been going with a design philosophy of making those into engineless "platforms", which are hauled into place by tugs. Otherwise the engine and fuel requirements become substantial, which adds to the crew, which adds to the tonnage needed for maintaining that long crew duration, in a vicious feedback cycle. I can shave a good 30-40 thousand tons off just by dropping the engines and fuel. And then I never need to upgrade the design again (unless I just want to make the armor better).

Gets to be a bit micromanagement-heavy with all the tugs, but not too bad since once they're hauled into place they'll be there for decades.

I just don't find orbital habitats to be efficient in any role. PDCs are better for military role, automines + mass driver for resource extraction on uninhabitable worlds, and terraforming ships for terraforming. I suppose in the last one, planetary installations are considerably more effective than shipborne ones, but the number of population required to run them mean that you have to build a mammoth orbital hab to man them, and the total build, mineral and fuel cost is more than likely going to dwarf what it would cost to build several terraformers to do the same job.

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12837 on: December 28, 2012, 04:17:48 pm »

Ok, everything is blank in "create task" on the ship yard, you click on new class, its blank
even after making my own ship its still blank
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12838 on: December 28, 2012, 04:35:40 pm »

If New Class is blank, then the yard probably doesn't have a class assigned to it and/or no shipyard has been selected.

1. Click on the yard you want to use. You should see its name in parentheses after Create Task down below.
2. In the section up above, look under the "Assigned Class" column. If it says "No Class Assigned", there's your problem.

To assign a class:
1. Design a class (kind of obvious, but...)
2. Select the yard you want to assign it to.
3. Under the Shipyard Complex Activity section (middle of the screen), you should have an option under Task Type of "Retool for Selected Class". Once you select that, a new field will appear to the right, allowing you to choose any ship class that meets the type and tonnage limits of that yard.
4. Select the class you want and click the Set Activity button. If the yard previously had no class assigned, the retool will be instant and free. If you retool from a pre-existing class, the cost will be displayed to the right under "Required Materials" and the time it'll take under "Completion Date".

Once the yard has an assigned class, you can use the section at the bottom to actually build the ships.

Protip: Yards build a good deal faster if you've prebuilt some of the components with your construction factories. I often use what would otherwise be idle time to crank out extra jumpdrives, sensor packages, weapons, reactors, etc. This can cut build times for many designs by a significant margin. Otherwise, your shipyard is basically spending time fabricating all those parts at the yard itself.

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12839 on: December 28, 2012, 04:50:01 pm »

Thanks, it worked
Pages: 1 ... 854 855 [856] 857 858 ... 1346