Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 855 856 [857] 858 859 ... 1054

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 738670 times)

Cockyy

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels task: Interrupted by Vomit
    • View Profile
    • You're mother.
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #12840 on: December 04, 2012, 01:51:08 pm »

How exactly do I move a Jump Point Defense Base into position? I want to have one guard a JP to Sol from the other system but I can't tractor it or move it in any way.
There was a signature here. Now it's gone.

;__;

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12841 on: December 04, 2012, 02:02:49 pm »

Tractoring it using a ship with a LOT of engine power is the way - what happens when you try?  You built the base in a shipyard right?  If not, it's a PDC type base that can only go on a planetary body...

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12842 on: December 04, 2012, 02:33:17 pm »

Alternatively, build a mega-carrier. These can then act to move fixed defences into position, be used for field repairs of your smaller warships or carry hordes of fighters.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12843 on: December 04, 2012, 05:00:15 pm »

Also note that between the maintenance clock and morale it will be a massive pain to maintain it. I suppose we probably won't see mechanics for OWPs ever, either, given that Aurora 2 is going to use the Honor Harrington model of FTL rather than the Starfire one.
Never forget, never forgive, never forget.
How to run Aurora in a playable state on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Download and run Resize Enable

Cockyy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • You're mother.
« Reply #12844 on: December 04, 2012, 09:41:06 pm »

So a Jump Point Defense Base is effectively a waste of time? PDC's don't seem to need maintanence though. My PDC's around Earth are up to a 60000% annual break rate but never have had maintenance problems.

The wiki says I have to transport the prefab parts via cargo ships but I don't even have the option to pick them up from Earth.

;__;

Ispil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12845 on: December 04, 2012, 09:43:55 pm »

So a Jump Point Defense Base is effectively a waste of time? PDC's don't seem to need maintanence though. My PDC's around Earth are up to a 60000% annual break rate but never have had maintenance problems.

The wiki says I have to transport the prefab parts via cargo ships but I don't even have the option to pick them up from Earth.

Well, PDCs are... well, planetary-only. They require less maintenance because they don't go anywhere. A station to protect a jump point has to get there in the first place, plus survive being in space.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."- Voltaire

I GM a thing now.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12846 on: December 04, 2012, 09:45:20 pm »

Planetary Defense Center.

They're not orbital facilities, they're planetside installations. They're more akin to the NORAD complex. You need to manufacture prefab parts using your planetary industry (the design will tell you how many you need per PDC), transport them to the system body you want to build it on, and then use either (staffed) construction factories or construction brigades (supplied with the listed necessary minerals) to assemble them.

Consarned ninjas.

Cockyy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • You're mother.
« Reply #12847 on: December 05, 2012, 11:10:16 am »

Planetary Defense Center.

I know, I know. But I figured a jump point defense base would be the same sort of structure as a PDC so I set it as PDC in the ship designer. Though I had assumed PDC's were both planetside AND orbital, as their default assignment is listed as "PDC Fleet".

EDIT: Also I'm aware how to prefab PDC's. I have 40 sections for the one I'm trying to build and only need 5 per PDC. Yet, I don't have an option to pick up prefab PDC components. Only the usual "Load infrastructure, Load Automated Mines, Load Minerals" :C

FURTHER EDIT: Just had an idea. Probably a "derp" moment but can I drop buoys with active sensors at jump points to keep an eye on them instead?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 11:18:24 am by Cockyy »

;__;

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12848 on: December 05, 2012, 11:38:53 am »

If its right on top of the jump point, you don't even need active sensors, thermals will work, unless you want to know tonnage.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12849 on: December 05, 2012, 01:05:58 pm »

Yeah, the new mechanics for buoys give them functionally unlimited duration, so you can seed them pretty much everywhere. If you use active sensors, you can also make minefields.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12850 on: December 05, 2012, 05:02:26 pm »

Yeah, the new mechanics for buoys give them functionally unlimited duration, so you can seed them pretty much everywhere. If you use active sensors, you can also make minefields.

Can mines/missiles get a lock with only passive sensors? I know ships need active sensors to get a target, but discussion on the official forum seems to imply that a missile with a thermal sensor will still target any ship it can detect.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12851 on: December 05, 2012, 05:53:16 pm »

Can mines/missiles get a lock with only passive sensors? I know ships need active sensors to get a target, but discussion on the official forum seems to imply that a missile with a thermal sensor will still target any ship it can detect.

I seem to recall that being true, though IIRC you'll get better range with active sensors, which in turn makes for more effective mines.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12852 on: December 05, 2012, 07:28:15 pm »

There is such thing as effective mines? As far as I remember a single detected ships will eat whole minefield even if it would be destroyed thousand times.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12853 on: December 05, 2012, 09:17:06 pm »

Is there any way to increase the intended deployment time?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
  • Rounded up at your command
    • View Profile
« Reply #12854 on: December 05, 2012, 09:43:31 pm »

Intended deployment time is a number that you set. Just type in a larger one and the game will automatically add more crew quarters.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: 1 ... 855 856 [857] 858 859 ... 1054