Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 923 924 [925] 926 927 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2704530 times)

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #13860 on: August 25, 2013, 05:03:28 pm »

I haven't tried this game - yet.

Is it really good ?
Is it harder than DF ?
Is the game as dynamic as DF ?
Is it as fun as DF ?
I want to try it, but...I am not sure. I fear that it will be even worse than DF, and that I won't be able to play normal games after that :)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #13861 on: August 25, 2013, 05:04:20 pm »

It's buggy as fuck and hardly playable. It has a lot of potential though.

People might disagree with me though :P

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13862 on: August 25, 2013, 06:12:46 pm »

Meh, I've seen AAA games release with more bugs than Aurora. It's more that the UI is a steaming pile of Excel personalized for the tastes of one man. The only real campaign-killer I've encountered (beyond the normal entropic decay of turn times associated with expansion) is the one associated with a certain type of spoiler, and is easily avoided.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13863 on: August 25, 2013, 06:16:43 pm »

Meh, I've seen AAA games release with more bugs than Aurora. It's more that the UI is a steaming pile of Excel personalized for the tastes of one man. The only real campaign-killer I've encountered (beyond the normal entropic decay of turn times associated with expansion) is the one associated with a certain type of spoiler, and is easily avoided.
Does the game even have that many spreadsheets? It really doesn't feel like it has many.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13864 on: August 25, 2013, 06:18:55 pm »

Does the game even have that many spreadsheets? It really doesn't feel like it has many.
It's that it largely consists of many windows full of numbers and labels. Never bothered me much, but apparently people don't like it.

3. Run Resize Enable

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13865 on: August 25, 2013, 06:31:23 pm »

Having played DF as well as some other complex games, the spreadsheet look of Aurora doesn't look too bad. Maybe I could relate it to how some view EVE online but that's another story.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #13866 on: August 25, 2013, 06:33:33 pm »

I don't have any problems with game itself. Numbers are fun :P.

It's just the inevitable endless stream of error boxes which make me not want to play this game :x.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13867 on: August 25, 2013, 11:40:23 pm »

Early in the game I design and build various types of 500 ton ships to keep the fighter factories busy, also to supplement my logistics fleet, since my shipyards will be busy making my first survey ships and warships.
Each with 3 year deployment time ,36 year maintenance life and 40 billion kilometer range at 1800 km/s .
Collier: 75 magazine, Support vessel: 1036 MSP, Tanker: 300000 litres of fuel (250000 more than all the other nano logistics ships), Dropship: 2 companies, Size 4 EM or thermal sensor, 1 Geo or Grav survey sensor (very useful for those systems with stupidly far away planets, 10 year deployment and maintenance life 130 billion kilometer range (6 years full power),  and finally some long life fighters designated as orbital defence platforms.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13868 on: August 26, 2013, 01:38:40 am »

Huh, is there a way to get PDC's to target planets? I am trying to design a cheap, planet-based geosurvey buoy launcher, but it doesn't seem possible :(

E: I suppose I could try it with a ship, lacking engines and such. But then I would need a shipyard to make them.
I think the trick is to put a waypoint on the planet and target that.
Wouldn't that not work if you have planetary orbits on (as they are by default)? IIRC waypoints can't be associated with planetary bodies like that, and would remain where placed.
They can be tied to a planet.  From Blue Emu's Ad Astra AAR over on Paradox:
Quote from: SteveW
Just in case you didn't figure it out in the next ten pages, you can attach a waypoint to a system body by clicking on the system body on the map, which will centre the map on that object, and then use the Last button on the waypoint tab instead of the Add button. The Last button will attach the WP to the object you last clicked on and the WP will move with that object.

I don't know if it'll help for geosurvey purposes (in the AAR, it was used to launch decoy missiles at a planet from out of FC range of the PDCs in an attempt to soak up fire; fire at the waypoint, release the waypoint, and they retargeted on the PDC), but it could be worth a shot. 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 01:42:57 am by Culise »

Carnwennan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13869 on: August 26, 2013, 11:49:53 am »

I don't know if it'll help for geosurvey purposes (in the AAR, it was used to launch decoy missiles at a planet from out of FC range of the PDCs in an attempt to soak up fire; fire at the waypoint, release the waypoint, and they retargeted on the PDC), but it could be worth a shot.
I tested it out first on an asteroid (no orbit) and it worked; It didn't work on comets at all, but it worked for planets -and moons- fine. Thanks for the info!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13870 on: August 26, 2013, 01:27:45 pm »

Yeah, that'll be helpful if I ever bother with the tedium of drone-delivered survey platforms. It's a shame there's no way to automate that the way you can with normal survey ships.

3. Run Resize Enable

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13871 on: August 26, 2013, 01:46:14 pm »

I don't have any problems with game itself. Numbers are fun :P.

It's just the inevitable endless stream of error boxes which make me not want to play this game :x.
Kills my Aurora bones each and every time.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13872 on: August 26, 2013, 02:51:15 pm »

Has anyone ever tried to do a multiplayer game?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13873 on: August 26, 2013, 03:13:32 pm »

Yeah, there have been multiplayer games. You need space master to advance time and a way to pass the database around. I'm not sure how well it works in practice.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13874 on: August 26, 2013, 04:28:19 pm »

The most effective I've seen were in the vein of the one Sheb tried, where one person is a GM who actually runs the game, and the two sides have their own thread/forums where they discuss what they want to do and pass orders on to the GM for them to process.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 923 924 [925] 926 927 ... 1346