Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 924 925 [926] 927 928 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2698685 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #13875 on: August 27, 2013, 05:48:40 am »

Yeah, the game doesn't really support multiplayer, but since it's mostly a storytelling tool, it works great as a setting/GM tool for a RP game.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13876 on: August 27, 2013, 05:51:35 am »

Well, please do. :)

What do you find so hard abut SM?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13877 on: August 27, 2013, 07:08:02 am »

Well, what else are you trying to do? Creating fleet sis easy to with the OOB button. Creating systems is a tad harder.

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13878 on: August 27, 2013, 07:26:58 am »

Yeah, the game doesn't really support multiplayer, but since it's mostly a storytelling tool, it works great as a setting/GM tool for a RP game.
Man, I'd like to do a game like this now.

I actually started an LP (or RP?) of Aurora on the LP Board here though I've lost a bit of confidence on my writing skills.  :-\

Creating systems is a tad harder.

In my early Aurora days before version 6.0 and above, I remembered generating an empty system by luck before and thought that I had to somehow add each planets and asteroids one by one.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13879 on: August 27, 2013, 05:12:17 pm »

Thinking of making a challenge: Given a number of tech points distributed as the contestant desires, to design the best ships and fleets for a number of situations, including colony defense, jump point attack, jump point defense, jump point attack, misc encounter on a system, nebula combat, black hole combat, etc. or even a mix of situations (attacking a colony, but have to pass through a nebula first. The defender can defend at any point in either system, up to the jump point that the enemies would first enter).

For each situation, the contestants would be given a number of Build Points to construct their fleets (not sure how the conversion between build points - fighter construction points - missile construction points would go, or if it should be possible to sacrifice research points for build points and likewise). Each scenario would have their build points reset, but not their researched techs; They have to work with what they have in hands.

What do you think? Opinions, suggestions? And btw, if anyone wants to steal the idea, go right ahead. I'm more interested in seeing the results than actually going through the effort to organize it, so if I can have my cake and eat it too I'd be delighted. :P
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13880 on: August 27, 2013, 05:22:34 pm »

Game out a bunch of scenario battles? That sounds fun, and makes me wonder why we hadn't done it before.

EDIT: You know, I like this idea so much that I think I'm going to make it happen. Got some rough rules written up already.

EDIT2:Let's do it! Hopefully at least two people are interested.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 09:34:21 pm by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13881 on: August 28, 2013, 01:26:45 am »

Someone's doing something similar over on the Aurora forums, the "Alpha Centauri Fleet Challenge' http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,6292.msg64035.html#msg64035
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13882 on: August 28, 2013, 10:17:11 am »

After being stopped by the MSSFDT.dll problem, I quit for a bit, and now I'm using the portable installation and System view works fine now.

Time to rebuild the Quidrals and get to finishing the tutorial the forum has

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13883 on: August 28, 2013, 02:09:14 pm »

Changing a bit the subject, what's the viability of geosurveying a system by firing geosurvey missiles (or most likely, carrying a geosurvey buoy as submunission) from a PDC from whatever the main colony in the system is?
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13884 on: August 28, 2013, 02:55:59 pm »

It's *possible*, but crazy except maybe once to show "it can be done". (warning - I haven't tried it at all in 6.0+)  You'd have to target and fire each missile individually at each planet, asteroid and comet in the system, versus building a ship *once* that can take advantage of the automatic orders and survey a whole system by just moving it there with no more supervision required.  I know we must love micromanagement to even start this game, but just thinking of all that work makes me shudder.  I'd probably compromise by building the right number of missiles and SpaceMastering in the geosurvey :p

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13885 on: August 28, 2013, 03:40:01 pm »

It's *possible*, but crazy except maybe once to show "it can be done". (warning - I haven't tried it at all in 6.0+)  You'd have to target and fire each missile individually at each planet, asteroid and comet in the system, versus building a ship *once* that can take advantage of the automatic orders and survey a whole system by just moving it there with no more supervision required.  I know we must love micromanagement to even start this game, but just thinking of all that work makes me shudder.  I'd probably compromise by building the right number of missiles and SpaceMastering in the geosurvey :p
It's actually not as bad as you'd think.  I didn't learn about automatic orders at all until I'd been playing for well over a year, so I did everything manually.  You kind of zone out after a while while filling out hundreds of orders.  Though, those systems with 600+ asteroids did make me die a little inside.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13886 on: August 28, 2013, 03:48:01 pm »

It's actually not as bad as you'd think.  I didn't learn about automatic orders at all until I'd been playing for well over a year, so I did everything manually.  You kind of zone out after a while while filling out hundreds of orders.  Though, those systems with 600+ asteroids did make me die a little inside.
Aurora: Space Manifest Filing Simulator!  Now with more tedious clicking!

It's ok, it took me a while to learn about automatic orders too.  Of course, there were *a lot* less asteroids in pre-6.0 aurora.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13887 on: August 28, 2013, 03:52:17 pm »

Yeah, there have been multiplayer games. You need space master to advance time and a way to pass the database around. I'm not sure how well it works in practice.

For true multiplayer, I'd suggest some type of hosting service where the game is played on one computer, such as LogMeIn.  Course, I know little about those sort of things.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13888 on: August 28, 2013, 03:53:21 pm »

Aurora: Space Manifest Filing Simulator!  Now with more tedious clicking!

It's ok, it took me a while to learn about automatic orders too.  Of course, there were *a lot* less asteroids in pre-6.0 aurora.
I've stopped scanning asteriods. I find that I always have more planets to scan first, and that those have better yields and certain spoilers on them.

Edit: Can you set up PDCs on jump points?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 04:04:25 pm by My Name is Immaterial »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13889 on: August 28, 2013, 04:24:36 pm »

Not to my knowledge. PDCs are treated as planet-side bunkers, not orbital stations. You have to assemble/build them on a colony. (We really need a new ship type for OWPs. We're playing with Starfire FTL and tech, for crying out loud, how can we not have them!?)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 924 925 [926] 927 928 ... 1346