Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 927 928 [929] 930 931 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2702466 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #13920 on: October 05, 2013, 02:26:52 pm »

i designed my first missilies, where can i produce them?
Have you resarched the design? If you have, it should be in the same page as buildings and fighters.

HARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13921 on: October 05, 2013, 04:18:38 pm »

how can i move ship from one task group to another?

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13922 on: October 05, 2013, 05:03:16 pm »

Also that's kind of a lot of BP for a grand total of *two* offensive missile launchers, even if your plan is to build a ton of them.  If it really is "solar system defense" only, I'd cut down the fuel and deployment time and spare parts/engineering - 1-2 months/2-3 billion km range is MORE than enough for getting anywhere inside the Solar System.  3.2b km range is enough to get to Saturn and back even when it's on the other side of the sun - that's the farthest out you'll probably ever have a colony anytime soon.   Build a tanker or 2 if you think you'll need to tool around in the Oort cloud for some reason.  I'd cut off an engine or 2, 2200km is slow enough that losing 20-30-40% would make no difference at all in combat capability.  Put all the saved space into launchers.   Think of using a slower/smaller launcher in exchange in exchange for a bigger volley.

I wouldn't spend MUCH space/BP putting thermal/EM sensors - those are mainly good when exploring to find enemy colonies and ships before they bring up their combat sensors.   Anything but a token one on a ship of the line (and every ship inherently has a tiny one for free) is wasted BP/tonnage imo.   If it was me I'd lose the CIWS too, and put the saved BP into a class of small gauss-armed point defense ships.  At this tech level and for system defense, probably fighters/gunships so you can save the BP and research expense of turrets and tracking.   5000km/s tracking on the CIWS makes em pretty useless for missile defense anyway - they'll leak a LOT, expect the absolute minimum speed missile you'll face to be 10k and most likely higher.  I think at this tech level you can make a 8-10-12k speed fighter/gunship, and it will be pleasantly cheap compared to even 1 CIWS.   A little cloud of those will give you a nice fleet-defense missile capability, shooting for a later class of anti-missile ships to give you a longer range interception envelope.

And yea, as mentioned, those are pretty awful missiles - I'd cut the range a LOT, and save a ton of weight/BP on the fire control too, to make them faster and better to-hit.  At this tech level even 100m km is gonna be about the limit of what you can do without gross inefficiency.

Also if it was me, I'd cut the armor 1-2 levels if it would let me add more launchers - to me it would be more imporant to build a lot of these with as many launchers each as possible than to make each individual one more survivable, beyond enough armor to maybe keep single hits from being internals.  Actually probably even then - at long range THESE ships aren't gonna be the targets, it'll be whatever has the active sensor.

Which leads up to the big problem if you haven't addressed it in some other way:  none of them does have an offensive sensor - you'll need at least one on SOME ship in order to target the enemy for combat.   If you have another scout  class ship that's fine, but if you don't it's gonna be an unpleasant surprise...

Without firing up the designer I feel like these ships should be in the 3-4k size range at most with an absolute minimum of 6-8 launchers each, ideally with a magazine of at least about 10 reloads.  Everything else is secondary to that.   Ideally even smaller so you could build that many more, it's all about total volley size.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13923 on: October 05, 2013, 07:38:19 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Cheers, time for a redesign.

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13924 on: October 09, 2013, 07:48:38 am »

Remembered deleting some files. Aurora was one of them.  :'(

Anyways. Redownloaded and started a new game. Maybe I'll post again. Just a question, if a ground unit is inside a troop transport bay in a ship, will they be able to contribute anything against any enemy boarding actions? Also, what happens to them if the ship gets taken over by the opposing force?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13925 on: October 09, 2013, 01:22:44 pm »

Pretty sure they will get to support the ship, unless there's some other sort of module that does that which I somehow haven't noticed even up to now playing the game.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13926 on: October 09, 2013, 01:33:47 pm »

Might be a difference between troops in holds and in drop pods, though. Can't say I've ever seen NPRs use boarding parties.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13927 on: October 09, 2013, 05:15:20 pm »

Pretty sure they will get to support the ship, unless there's some other sort of module that does that which I somehow haven't noticed even up to now playing the game.
I think that its the only module that may have some effect when it comes to boarding action.

Might be a difference between troops in holds and in drop pods, though. Can't say I've ever seen NPRs use boarding parties.

Actually, I'm basing this off two player controlled races. In the case of NPRs, haven't encountered one that uses boarding parties as well.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #13928 on: October 15, 2013, 05:18:13 pm »

Made a ship

Code: [Select]
Jeanne d'Arc class Cruiser    12,000 tons     288 Crew     1506.6 BP      TCS 240  TH 960  EM 1200
4000 km/s     Armour 4-46     Shields 40-300     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 4     PPV 48
Maint Life 1.01 Years     MSP 314    AFR 288%    IFR 4%    1YR 310    5YR 4657    Max Repair 240 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 12 months    Spare Berths 0   
Magazine 272   

480 EP Ion Drive (2)    Power 480    Fuel Use 42%    Signature 480    Exp 10%
Fuel Capacity 1,100,000 Litres    Range 39.3 billion km   (113 days at full power)
Gamma R300/336 Shields (20)   Total Fuel Cost  280 Litres per hour  (6,720 per day)

Size 4 Missile Launcher (12)    Missile Size 4    Rate of Fire 120
Missile Fire Control FC228-R175 (1)     Range 228.6m km    Resolution 175
Prayer Mk I (68)  Speed: 8,400 km/s   End: 2.4d    Range: 1730.6m km   WH: 4    Size: 4    TH: 28/16/8

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes
No active sensor because of space issues. Will create some defence cruisers with them. Missile range is too high but that's because fuel is so damn cheap :P.

Anyway, I seem to have forgotten how non CWIS or AMM anti-missile defence works. Can anyone give me a (link to a) brief explanation?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13929 on: October 15, 2013, 06:05:41 pm »

That missile needs to go faster. A lot faster. With a lot less fuel. Especially if there's only 12 per volley per ship. At Ion Technology, your missiles should be somewhere around 30,000 km/s. With how slow they are now, any point defense turret capability whatsoever will easily handle them. AMM capability just makes them a total waste of resources.

Point defense works like this for beam weapons; you set it to point defense, it fires at missiles when it can, the tracking speed divided by the target speed determines the accuracy. AMM missiles work similarly, with longer ranges, limited supply, and often, higher effectiveness until they run out. You set it to PD, it fires AMMs when it can, their hit chance is based on the same thing normal missiles hit chances are, just against faster targets. They also only need one warhead, in most cases.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #13930 on: October 15, 2013, 06:14:59 pm »

With this tech I've never been able to make viable missiles. I guess I could decrease the damage and increase the size though.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13931 on: October 15, 2013, 06:32:24 pm »

Lower fuel, higher engine power multipliers. You only need maybe 100 mkm range at your tech level. And agility probably isn't needed; just have more engines instead.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #13932 on: October 15, 2013, 07:24:03 pm »

It's 1MHS Warhead, 0.2MHS Fuel, and 3.8MHS Engine.

With this tech I'm not sure how I am going to get better missiles :/

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13933 on: October 15, 2013, 08:23:17 pm »

Is your engine power up to the highest multiplier you've researched?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13934 on: October 15, 2013, 08:24:12 pm »

Uhhhh...

Wow. Okay, what's the engine power modifier you're using? Try and research that, if you need to decide what to research next. That's very important for missiles. You want it as high as it can go. Fuel efficiency is not what you care about, in this case.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 927 928 [929] 930 931 ... 1346