Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 931 932 [933] 934 935 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2704534 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #13980 on: October 25, 2013, 09:15:41 am »

Changelog. SO MANY GREAT THINGS. <3

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13981 on: October 25, 2013, 05:57:53 pm »

Spinal lasers! Now I can truely make Honorverse-style LACs! This patch looks awesome.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13982 on: October 25, 2013, 05:59:56 pm »

Ha it's like I jinxed it...in a good way

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13983 on: October 26, 2013, 12:30:57 am »

What's a spinal laser?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13984 on: October 26, 2013, 12:48:51 am »

What's a spinal laser?
A laser (or railgun, particle cannon, etc. later in development) that is aligned with the center-line of a ship, the ship's "spine", rather than being mounted elsewhere. Basically, it's the sort of weapon that runs through the core of a ship instead of an external or near-external mount. Typically they're larger weapons than an equivalent surface-mount, but are obviously limited to only being aimed at a single point directly ahead of the ship, instead of being turreted or having a limited angle of traverse.

3. Run Resize Enable

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13985 on: October 26, 2013, 12:59:02 am »

What's a spinal laser?
A laser (or railgun, particle cannon, etc. later in development) that is aligned with the center-line of a ship, the ship's "spine", rather than being mounted elsewhere. Basically, it's the sort of weapon that runs through the core of a ship instead of an external or near-external mount. Typically they're larger weapons than an equivalent surface-mount, but are obviously limited to only being aimed at a single point directly ahead of the ship, instead of being turreted or having a limited angle of traverse.
I guessed as much but still,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13986 on: October 26, 2013, 03:19:12 am »

Hey, I just found some sort of anomaly alien ruin thing in the new patch.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13987 on: October 26, 2013, 09:03:29 am »

What's a spinal laser?
Isn't that basically how non-turreted weapons work now, with their tracking speed being limited to move speed? I always got the impression that railguns and the like were spinal mounted.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13988 on: October 26, 2013, 09:11:23 am »

I imagine them more as the machine guns on a spitfire, small ones mounted on wings. Then the spinal ones the example comes to mind is the dreadnaughts on Mass Effect.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13989 on: October 26, 2013, 11:01:29 am »

Isn't that basically how non-turreted weapons work now, with their tracking speed being limited to move speed? I always got the impression that railguns and the like were spinal mounted.

Their tracking speed is limited to move speed or your base turret tracking speed if that's higher, so they do have some maneuverability even if they aren't turreted.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13990 on: October 26, 2013, 11:13:17 am »

What's a spinal laser?

As Karlito said, they weren't spinal weapons, just fixed-mount, at least judging by their behavior. They more or less acted like the guns on tank destroyers: they're mounted so that they point in a certain direction, but are capable of traversing independently of the larger vehicle, at least to a limited extent.

3. Run Resize Enable

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13991 on: October 26, 2013, 03:55:54 pm »

Their tracking speed is limited to move speed or your base turret tracking speed if that's higher, so they do have some maneuverability even if they aren't turreted.
Not quite, it is limited to the base fire-control speed not the base turret speed.

One thing I've found with the spinal mounts is that while they give you a single big damage weapon, you can't really take advantage of their increased range unless your fire control base range tech is 2-3 tech levels above your laser tech. Still I've been experimenting with them and come up with a couple of designs for fairly cheap "flying lasers".
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13992 on: October 26, 2013, 04:05:19 pm »

If it helps you to imagine, if your ships are even vaguely cylindrical or such, fixed weapons would be your broadside, while a spinal mount would run right from the fore of your ship down the middle. Oh so coincidentally, this also places much closer and makes it more accessible  to where reactors normally go, allowing direct taps instead of running conduit to the edge of the hull.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13993 on: October 27, 2013, 06:02:53 am »

And while not relevant to lasers, for railguns it means it can be more stoutly anchored to the ship's superstructure, letting you get away with more recoil.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Rabid_Cog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13994 on: November 01, 2013, 04:45:07 pm »

I've been playing a kind of story-game in Aurora for a while and posted it on the official game forum. I've gotten some pretty positive feedback from the locals, figured I'd share with Bay12 as well and post a few links since the subforum is hidden pretty deep in the fiction area. The game is basically playing a kind of galactic scourge from a primitive start.

My Subforum: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/board,176.0.html

Direct links to the actual story:
The v5.6 bit: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,4988.0.html
The v6.2 bit: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,5906.0.html

There are a few other topics in my subforum, mostly some OOC stuff such as designing the system and such. I've been updating sporadically, but there should be plenty there to keep you guys busy for a while. Feel free to drop comments in the comments thread or even here if you want.
Pages: 1 ... 931 932 [933] 934 935 ... 1346