Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 934 935 [936] 937 938 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2705493 times)

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #14025 on: December 13, 2013, 05:50:10 pm »

Limitations of the game mean that only the three long range firecontrols will allow any of the guns to fire at all, as there is an absolute minimum range required for fire-controls to work of 10,000 km. Similarly, no ability to target incoming missiles as the sensor needs to be able to detect the missiles at least at 10,000 km. There also appear to be no tubes to launch the buoys or torpedoes.Scratch that, just saw that they are reloads for the Sea Kings.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14026 on: December 13, 2013, 09:49:41 pm »

I swear I have searched the UI and the internet, but how do I generate a solar system?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14027 on: December 13, 2013, 09:57:01 pm »

I swear I have searched the UI and the internet, but how do I generate a solar system?
SpaceMaster mode On, then open the System screen (F9).  A new set of buttons will appear to the right of the Jump Point survey information near the bottom of the screen, including one for "Create System."  It's a little tricky, since if SpaceMaster mode is off, the buttons don't appear at all. 

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14028 on: December 13, 2013, 10:25:38 pm »

Indeed, these ships are completely useless, minimum they require sensor and fire control upgrades, then engines and new armour. Atm 20-40% of each ship is conventional armour of 1-2 levels, 6 levels for the Iowa.
The Aegis system wasn't developed untill early to late 70's, but with alien technology I'm sure even the preexisting Scanfar array could be upgraded to at least detect small missiles travelling at the kind of speed we would be expecting from alien technology.
BTW I tested these systems, the resolution 2 is capable of detecting size 18 missiles at 60k kilometers, barely enough for point blank PD defence, but these radars were originally designed for tracking aircraft and very large ballistic missiles.
I'm hoping to reach a tech level in the early 70's that would allow some older technology to actually be used at least defensively before everything gets consigned to the scrapheap.

Meanwhile I'm just about finished with my designs, I just need a ground based air force, missile bases, attack submarines, ballistic missile submarines, and the USS enterprise.
Actually the surface fleet was probably the easiest part since they basically recycle the same weapons and systems, I have a bit of research to do for the rest.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 10:45:39 pm by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14029 on: December 14, 2013, 06:56:00 am »

Have fun with refit costs!   ;D

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14030 on: December 14, 2013, 11:07:30 am »

YEah, why do you think we haven't got star trek tech levels yet? We're wasting all our production on service industries and refit costs.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14031 on: December 14, 2013, 03:09:58 pm »

YEah, why do you think we haven't got star trek tech levels yet? We're wasting all our production on service industries and refit costs.
That would explain how the destruction of the Earth's entire military in excessive war is seen as necessary for the development of warp drive in Star Trek...starting over from scratch, eh?

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14032 on: December 14, 2013, 03:25:14 pm »

It was always wars that fueled research. Just look at the amount of new inventions in first and second half of 20th century (and im talking about new inventions, not just "upgrades"). Simple reason of needing to win a war / survive is better than need of money. Espescially since huge corps can easily buy new inventions and trash them just to get rid of competition on that field.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14033 on: December 14, 2013, 03:47:13 pm »

The problem is that that doesn't work with space outside of Earth orbit (and maybe the Moon) when we're still purely global. There's no reason for a state to invest in space development and exploration beyond technological dick-waving (see: the Space Race). The first turbojet aircraft protoype was flown by the Luftwaffe in 1939; the first satellite (Sputnik 1) was launched in 1957; the first Moon landing (Apollo 11) in 1969... and now, there's functionally no spending on space R&D or industry, at least compared to Cold War levels, because there's no motivation (nothing in space to shoot at besides satellites, nobody to compete with in the intense manner of the Cold War). That's why it has fallen on private spending to fund the development of space-based industry.

Now if you could convince the American government and public that a clone of Osama was running a terrorist training camp on Mars, then we might see some real shit. First military base on Mars inside of a decade.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14034 on: December 14, 2013, 04:17:32 pm »

Remember that one scare that there was an unknown installation on Mars a year or two ago? That's Dick Cheney's undisclosed location.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14035 on: December 14, 2013, 05:21:46 pm »

There is quite a space race occurring in Asia at the moment. India launched a Mars satellite, which may beat China to the red planet. China itself just landed a rover on the moon. With any luck they will build a moon base and spur the US into the competition.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14036 on: December 14, 2013, 05:30:52 pm »

There is quite a space race occurring in Asia at the moment. India launched a Mars satellite, which may beat China to the red planet. China itself just landed a rover on the moon. With any luck they will build a moon base and spur the US into the competition.

I doubt it.  If the US is content to allow the Chinese to dominate Africa, why would they care about Mars?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14037 on: December 14, 2013, 06:00:06 pm »

I doubt it.  If the US is content to allow the Chinese to dominate Africa, why would they care about Mars?
Maybe this discussion should be in the General Discussion area?  The US thread by Jesuit.  (Also didn't know China/India are in a space race.)

*Semi-Resists adding to derail.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14038 on: December 14, 2013, 06:02:52 pm »

is this game still in development? doesnt look like there has been an update in a long time.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14039 on: December 14, 2013, 06:06:18 pm »

Yeah, he just today posted about a new change so that fleets will plot intercept courses instead of always heading directly towards a target.
Pages: 1 ... 934 935 [936] 937 938 ... 1346