Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 990 991 [992] 993 994 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2705841 times)

Mr.Mountain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #14865 on: June 11, 2014, 07:21:02 pm »

How do you get asteroid mining ships to work on asteroids? I didn't add a cargo bay, is that necessary for it to pick up materials?
no one could have anticipated this

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #14866 on: June 11, 2014, 07:22:45 pm »

How do you get asteroid mining ships to work on asteroids? I didn't add a cargo bay, is that necessary for it to pick up materials?
It creates the minerals at a colony at the asteroid, so first create a colony.

This also means that you'd want those mineral shooting things I forgot the name of instead of cargo bays.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14867 on: June 11, 2014, 07:24:03 pm »

Mass Drivers? So just bundle a cargo ship with your asteroid miners then. It'll ferry the mass driver around and maybe some other things too while they're mining.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14868 on: June 11, 2014, 07:51:14 pm »

I built a Minecart class commercial ship with the smallest cargo bay and a super efficient engine to ferry minerals my Dwarf mining ships placed on asteroids.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 07:53:09 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Mr.Mountain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14869 on: June 11, 2014, 08:32:34 pm »

So as I was checking my colonies I noticed I had 3 civilian mining complexes in a random comet. The mines really aren't producing anything (I'm guessing due to the lack of underground infrastructure), but I don't recall ever putting them there. Does anyone have an explanation?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14870 on: June 11, 2014, 08:37:24 pm »

Civilians like to plop down mining colonies on asteroids and comets, and their mines will basically convert minerals to money for your empire. Of course minerals are much more worthwhile, but luckily you can purchase the minerals they mine in the colony page somewhere. I forget the exact tab. So civilian mining colonies are pretty much free mines and a mass driver when you think about it.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14871 on: June 11, 2014, 11:31:54 pm »

Yeah, I always buy civ minerals. One thing I notice is they stop making new civ mines after a while though. I'm unsure if it's because the government (you) is forcing the civ mines to sell their minerals to the government and not civilians, or if there is cutoff of some kind after which no more civilian mine colonies appear. I've tried keeping a few less useful civ mines supplying minerals of which I have more than I need to the civilians, but it's hard to tell a difference.

I think the civ mining corps expand faster if you leave the minerals going to the civilian sector, but I could be wrong about that. I always run short on one mineral or another in a game and switch over the appropriate civ mines to supply the government. I don't see any more pop up after that, though that's not necessarily the cause.

A minor bonus of civilian mine colonies is that they spawn a free Garrison ground troops unit. You can transfer them to a different planet; I do it after the minerals run out before I abolish the colony.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 11:38:56 pm by Duuvian »

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14872 on: June 11, 2014, 11:42:04 pm »

...Is the amount of time spent getting the free garrison off an obscure body really worth avoiding the cost of but 60 minerals?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Mr.Mountain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14873 on: June 11, 2014, 11:52:35 pm »

I think he was suggesting that the garrison unit was just a neat perk to civ mines. I could be wrong though, all that was going through my head while I read the post was a dwarf doing back flips.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14874 on: June 11, 2014, 11:55:32 pm »

He wasn't just suggesting, he was making a statement.

A minor bonus of civilian mine colonies is that they spawn a free Garrison ground troops unit. You can transfer them to a different planet; I do it after the minerals run out before I abolish the colony.

To which I made a question.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14875 on: June 12, 2014, 01:26:11 am »

I just disband the garrisons units. It's not like they're ever going to be useful.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14876 on: June 12, 2014, 02:13:11 am »

I just assume they are corporate security and leave them alone.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14877 on: June 12, 2014, 02:17:58 am »

But you have to pay for them!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14878 on: June 12, 2014, 06:31:12 am »

If you have a troop transport already it takes all of 5 seconds to order it's tf to transport it back to whatever planet. If you have more defunct civ colonies and a fleet with enough transport space for a brigade you can move 5 of them all at once. It's only one set of orders, and besides I do 30 days x500 anyways when I'm away from the computer when I'm playing Aurora so having a bunch of depleted civ colonies happens.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14879 on: June 12, 2014, 12:28:06 pm »

The thing is, those are single garrison battalions. They have zero attack capability and defensive capability equal to or lower than every other combat unit save assault infantry. They're also tied for third-fastest to produce and cost virtually nothing. Literally the only thing they're good for is if all of your combat troops are tied up and you need to deal with rising dissent on an overcrowded colony/newly captured enemy planet. The fuel you burn to transport them is literally worth more than the units themselves.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 990 991 [992] 993 994 ... 1346