Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 992 993 [994] 995 996 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2705843 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #14895 on: June 13, 2014, 04:11:43 am »

Nah, I made a pair of them way back and used them to deal with Precursors until they got fucked up and spent a couple years limping home and being overhauled. I stuck one with each carrier group essentially as a disposable pawn if I get caught away from a JP into friendly space--send the frigate out to unload and eat damage while the valuable ships withdraw. That, and if I get drawn into an extended engagement and I run out of fighter missiles it's there for a little extra damage. So in short there's nothing better for them to do, and I can't afford to scrap ships when I've got Swarm blocking at least one route out of Sol.

On an unrelated note, has anyone else not been finding ruins lately?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Mr.Mountain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14896 on: June 13, 2014, 08:38:06 am »

I see I'm not the only one that RPs companies making similar tech systems.
no one could have anticipated this

kholdstayr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14897 on: June 14, 2014, 12:16:37 pm »

I found a useful utility for playing Aurora on smaller monitors. Go here http://ynea.futureware.at/cgi-bin/infinite_screen.pl and download the "Infinite Screen" utility, which the current version on there is 1.72.

Launch the utility, and then you probably want to uncheck the "Autostart at boot" checkbox, unless you really want this program to start whenever Windows starts. Then, go to the "Oversize" tab in the program. On the oversize tab, you will see a list of windows that you can expand to a larger size. Find the main Aurora window, called "ThunderRT6FormDC|WN: System Map...", assuming that you are currently on the system map screen in aurora. In the bottom right corner of the Oversize screen there is a height and width text box. Put in "1000" into the height textbox. This will allow the Aurora window to expand to its normal full height. The infinite screen program will then allow you to scroll down by dragging the mouse down to access the bottom part of the screen.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14898 on: June 14, 2014, 03:18:43 pm »

Funny enough. I never bother with CIWS, I probably should sometime, for RP reasons if anything. I'm not sure sure why you created the Nova class if you don't plan on using it though. A small military shipyard that need using?
I stick CIWS on civvie ships (especially prospecting/geosurvey craft). My RP explanation is that they're for defense against space debris/micro-asteroids.

I usually stick a crapload of them on orbital stations too, with the same reasoning.

And yeah, I tend to have my companies named after the researcher(s) who researched the tech or component techs. So that when that 60% P&P researcher with a 10 admin rating finally passes away, he'll still have a legacy left behind in all the engines and power plants bearing his name.

I've also taken to naming weapon systems in the old European mode of affixing the design year as a model number.

So for instance, my Schliemann-Voss GmbH 300mm Railkanone 51 (designed in 2051).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Mr.Mountain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14899 on: June 14, 2014, 09:51:04 pm »

Just for the sake of RP purposes,  how would you guys go about making a military powerhouse planet aside from earth?

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14900 on: June 14, 2014, 11:23:09 pm »

Build shipyards on Earth and tow them with a ship with a tractor beam. If you meant ground forces use a freighter to load GFTF on Earth, unload them on the other planet, then refuel from Earth. Click repeat a few times to get a nice stack of orders and then check the cycle orders checkbox. The freighter will transfer all the GFTFs on Earth to the other planet barring an interruption of it's orders and will be on Earth due to the refuel order when there are no more fractions of a GFTF to transfer.

Alternately you could put a lot of minerals and construction factories on the new planet and just build both types of installation yourself. You'll probably want some spaceports and maintenance facilities, and perhaps some ordinance and fighter production facilities as well. A military academy couldn't hurt either, but isn't necessary.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 11:25:49 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14901 on: June 15, 2014, 12:04:10 am »

There's basically no reason not to use RP companies now that the game does it for you.

Also, what Duuvian said. The way that requires the least logistical micromanagement is to colonize early and quickly, wait for the colonies to build up sizable populations, then pick one or two that are in good strategic locations with lots of nearby minerals, dump a bunch of construction factories there, and set up a network of mines to support them.

3. Run Resize Enable

Mr.Mountain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14902 on: June 20, 2014, 08:23:00 pm »

Does anyone find it practical to use spinal mounts? I mean, is there any drawback to double turret size without the size (or was it weight?) penalty?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14903 on: June 21, 2014, 01:03:46 am »

Now that they're fixed it's one spinal weapon per ship as they're supposed to be.

3. Run Resize Enable

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14904 on: June 21, 2014, 05:41:05 am »

As far as I know the main penalty for spinal mounts is you have to use the ships speed for tracking purposes rather than a turret tracking speed.

I would say they are well worth it though, the extra size is nice. You can make some enormous lasers at high tech and I like the idea of a big laser gun with engines. I wish they could be made from weapons other than lasers though.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14905 on: June 23, 2014, 02:18:56 pm »

Wow, there is a lot of goof on in this game.

I sent a geological surveyor team to mars without first actually using a geological ship. Whoopsie.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14906 on: June 23, 2014, 02:26:44 pm »

Spinal mounts?  Man, I must have missed a version or two D:

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #14907 on: June 23, 2014, 03:39:11 pm »

As you can only have a single spinal weapon mounted on a ship and it's tracking speed is limited to the ships speed or base tracking tech, I've found it best to use them on something similar to the ion-cannon frigates from Homeworld. A single weapon, powerful engines to give them tracking and nothing else. I've been tending to deploy them from carriers that each carry one or two of them, as the high power engines burn too much fuel for normal non-combat cruising.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14908 on: June 23, 2014, 05:05:06 pm »

As you can only have a single spinal weapon mounted on a ship and it's tracking speed is limited to the ships speed or base tracking tech, I've found it best to use them on something similar to the ion-cannon frigates from Homeworld. A single weapon, powerful engines to give them tracking and nothing else. I've been tending to deploy them from carriers that each carry one or two of them, as the high power engines burn too much fuel for normal non-combat cruising.

There's also the 'Honor Harrington' method, mount them on FAC/Fighters, though I'd assume you'd need a high-end powersource and capacitors to make them of any real use.

Spacefaye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14909 on: June 23, 2014, 05:28:16 pm »

How do I make ships?
Pages: 1 ... 992 993 [994] 995 996 ... 1346