Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 994 995 [996] 997 998 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2704562 times)

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #14925 on: June 28, 2014, 05:45:52 pm »

found a planet with 150m+ tons of duranium. 0.1 accessibility.
New permanent colony.  Terraform it, you'll be done exchanging gasses before you're done mining.

Here I was thinking this was some sort of massive overstatement...

I have about 34k factories on earth...

But maybe you really do have that many mines?
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Mr.Mountain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14926 on: June 28, 2014, 06:09:49 pm »

that's the reason I'm sending construction factories away from earth, this specific colony has loads of elements that earth has a surplus of, and the ones earth is scarce on I simply ship back. I'm sending construction factories to build yards for survey ships on the frontiers of my exploration efforts, and fuel refineries to make use of all the sodium there.
no one could have anticipated this

Mr.Mountain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14927 on: June 28, 2014, 06:11:21 pm »

I have about 34k factories on earth...

But maybe you really do have that many mines?

??

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14928 on: June 28, 2014, 06:34:57 pm »

Terraforming takes a long time.  If you're able to terraform, you've usually already exploited all the resources.  However, with that level of factories, you probably have a LOT of mines, and may be able to drain the planet quickly.

Mr.Mountain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14929 on: June 28, 2014, 06:35:54 pm »

a few quick questions:
what's the difference between each GU, aside from basic costs?
how does a plasma carronade differ from the other beam weapons? & how about the microwave?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14930 on: June 28, 2014, 06:43:06 pm »

Plasma carronades are high-output, but very short range. Microwaves do very little damage except to electronics, but are very powerful against those due to ignoring armor and doing bonus damage.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Mr.Mountain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14931 on: June 28, 2014, 06:49:27 pm »

now, how do I design a missile that doesn't have 11% hit rate  at 1k km/s?  :(  :-\

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14932 on: June 28, 2014, 06:55:57 pm »

From memory:

Ground units: You'll have 4 brigades per division. Battalion and other size units are assigned to brigades, 4 per brigade.
Garrison: Purely defensive, has no attack value but high defense.
Mobile Infantry: Mostly defensive, has half of defense value in attack
Construction Brigade: Equal to one construction factory, brigade sized but still 4 per brigade command.
Assault Infantry: Mostly offensive, has half value in defense
Heavy Assault: Made up of space tanks, costs more. Highest offense and defense values.
Combat Engineers: For excavating alien ruins.
Marine Units: For boarding enemy ships

Plasma carronades are big short single shot ranged weapons. They are used mostly to ambush ships traveling through sectors as the enemy ships will appear right next to them without being able to close while shooting.

Lasers are single shot and mostly close ranged as they have a quick damage dropoff but they can be fired quite far away too.

Particle beams are longer ranged single shot weapons compared to lasers. They do less damage but they require only one research rather than two to increase their max range.

Microwaves do not deal damage or kill crewmembers, but they will fry ship systems like sensors and engines unless they have protected electronics. It's for capturing ships or pacifist empires.

Mesons ignore all armor layers. This makes them extremely dangerous. They can also fire through atmosphere which means you can put them on PDCs for point defense I think.

Rail guns are similar to lasers but in the Missiles and Kinetic weapons tree and they fire multiple shots per firing for less damage per shot.

Gauss Cannons are mostly for CIW systems for point defense but can also be mounted as weapons.

There is also Shock damage, which happens when a ship is hit by a lot of damage in one shot. It's internals can be damaged despite the shot not penetrating.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 06:59:20 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14933 on: June 28, 2014, 06:59:08 pm »

Construction Brigade: Equal to one construction factory, brigade sized but still 4 per brigade command.

From what I remember, construction brigades also excavate ruins in addition to working like a factory, and combat engineers get a bonus attacking soldiers in a bunker and don't excavate ruins.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14934 on: June 28, 2014, 07:00:27 pm »

From what I remember, construction brigades also excavate ruins in addition to working like a factory, and combat engineers get a bonus attacking soldiers in a bunker and don't excavate ruins.

That's probably right. One of the engineer battalions is for excavation though unless it was changed to be construction brigades as those are a fairly new addition.

EDIT: They were changed to construction brigades.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 07:21:28 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14935 on: June 28, 2014, 07:01:55 pm »

Plasma carronades deal a damage profile similar to missiles - triangular impacts on armor.  They're incredibly high damage, but super short range, making them useful for gate defenders and for fighters - despite the huge weight and penalties, a fighter with plasma can carry immense damage.

Microwave ONLY damages sensors and engines, ignoring all armor and shields.  It deals 1 point per attack, while upgrades improve the range and rate of fire.

Microwaves are useful for tackling ships in large salvos and then sending marines.  high powered lasers are also good for this, as they deal a straight damage line and can penetrate armor most effectively, and deal significant damage straight to the ship's internal components.  Carronades are treated as short range missiles with infinite ammo - they just bash through brutally.

Gauss are also good as sandblasters.  They deal 1 damage per, but one gauss can fire multiple shots at a time, making them spray weapons, and exceptional for dealing with missiles or small fighters.

Railguns function very similarly to lasers but like shotguns, except they have a shorter maximum range and no damage falloff.  So they hit for more consistent damage at medium range, while lasers deal high damage close range and low damage long range.

Particle Beams, I think, are another 1 damage weapon, but have exceptionally high range.

So the breakdown?
Highest range heavy hitters are missiles, which deal triangular damage patterns are are blocked the most by armor.
Long-range direct fire sniping is Particle Beams and, sort of, Microwaves, which deal 1 damage but at very long range.
Medium-Long range is Lasers, which deal piercing damage and get through thick armor the easiest.
Medium range are Railguns, which deal piercing damage to get through armor, but also fire shotgun style for less damage per shot.
Short-Medium range are Gauss, which fire shotgun style for 1 damage each.
Short range is Carronades, dealing triangular damage which is blocked the most by armor, but also deal tremendous payloads of damage.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14936 on: June 28, 2014, 07:17:22 pm »

That's probably right. One of the engineer battalions is for excavation though unless it was changed to be construction brigades as those are a fairly new addition.

Construction brigades used to be called Engineer Battalions. The combat Engineer brigade is a recent addition.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14937 on: June 28, 2014, 07:19:02 pm »

Meson cannons deal 1 damage each, but they ignore shields and armor, and aren't affected by atmospheres.

Damage from particle beams don't drop off at range, but they can't be mounted in turrets and make for better long range weapons than short range.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14938 on: June 28, 2014, 09:45:21 pm »

Plasma carronades deal a damage profile similar to missiles - triangular impacts on armor.  They're incredibly high damage, but super short range, making them useful for gate defenders and for fighters - despite the huge weight and penalties, a fighter with plasma can carry immense damage.

Microwave ONLY damages sensors and engines, ignoring all armor and shields.  It deals 1 point per attack, while upgrades improve the range and rate of fire.

Microwaves are useful for tackling ships in large salvos and then sending marines.  high powered lasers are also good for this, as they deal a straight damage line and can penetrate armor most effectively, and deal significant damage straight to the ship's internal components.  Carronades are treated as short range missiles with infinite ammo - they just bash through brutally.

Gauss are also good as sandblasters.  They deal 1 damage per, but one gauss can fire multiple shots at a time, making them spray weapons, and exceptional for dealing with missiles or small fighters.

Railguns function very similarly to lasers but like shotguns, except they have a shorter maximum range and no damage falloff.  So they hit for more consistent damage at medium range, while lasers deal high damage close range and low damage long range.

Particle Beams, I think, are another 1 damage weapon, but have exceptionally high range.

So the breakdown?
Highest range heavy hitters are missiles, which deal triangular damage patterns are are blocked the most by armor.
Long-range direct fire sniping is Particle Beams and, sort of, Microwaves, which deal 1 damage but at very long range.
Medium-Long range is Lasers, which deal piercing damage and get through thick armor the easiest.
Medium range are Railguns, which deal piercing damage to get through armor, but also fire shotgun style for less damage per shot.
Short-Medium range are Gauss, which fire shotgun style for 1 damage each.
Short range is Carronades, dealing triangular damage which is blocked the most by armor, but also deal tremendous payloads of damage.

Do microwaves damage engines? I thought they only damaged electronics. Also Railguns definitely have damage falloff, it's particle beams that don't.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14939 on: June 28, 2014, 10:02:20 pm »

MIcrowaves also don't ignore shields, just armor.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 994 995 [996] 997 998 ... 1346