Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1029 1030 [1031] 1032 1033 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2705517 times)

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #15450 on: November 10, 2014, 04:29:54 am »

I searched for COMCTL32.ocx on my computer, I have it and it is in the right folder. My computer knowledge is insufficient to detect the problem.
Instructions for win 7. Haven't messed around with win 8, but it should use the same general procedure.

Verify if comctl32.ocx is in C:\windows\system32 folder. If it is, you may try re-registering the file.

1. Go to start and type cmd.
2. Right-Click on cmd in the results list and select “Run as Administrator”.
3. Type regsvr32 comctl32.ocx /u and press Enter. <- this unregisters the file in case the registration got corrupted
4. Type regsvr32 comctl32.ocx and press Enter.

If successful you should get a response saying "DllregisterServer in comscl32.ocx succeeded"
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Noel.se

• Bay Watcher
  • Always lurking. Always watching.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15451 on: November 10, 2014, 01:00:21 pm »

I searched for COMCTL32.ocx on my computer, I have it and it is in the right folder. My computer knowledge is insufficient to detect the problem.
Instructions for win 7. Haven't messed around with win 8, but it should use the same general procedure.

Verify if comctl32.ocx is in C:\windows\system32 folder. If it is, you may try re-registering the file.

3. Type regsvr32 comctl32.ocx /u and press Enter. <- this unregisters the file in case the registration got corrupted

If successful you should get a response saying "DllregisterServer in comscl32.ocx succeeded"
Hm, it gives me an error at step 3. Something about an error occurring while loading comctl.ocx. Not sure about the exact translation, since it is German. I checked and the file in my system32 folder is actually called "COMCTL.OCX" . I'm not sure if that matters, typing regsvr32 COMCTL.OCX /u gives a similar error (could not load COMCTL.OCX).

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #15452 on: November 10, 2014, 07:19:25 pm »

Hm, it gives me an error at step 3. Something about an error occurring while loading comctl.ocx. Not sure about the exact translation, since it is German. I checked and the file in my system32 folder is actually called "COMCTL.OCX" . I'm not sure if that matters, typing regsvr32 COMCTL.OCX /u gives a similar error (could not load COMCTL.OCX).

Ah, I wasn't fully awake when I last posted, so I missed a couple of things out, sorry.

Firstly, if a file is named something different then it is not the same file.
Note, that if you are using a 64bit version of windows, the file should be located in a different location, in the SysWOW64 directory, rather than in system32.

Second you need to change directory after opening the command prompt, that is likely what is causing the error you saw.

for a 32 bit version of windows make sure comctl32.ocx is located in the windows\system32 directory then
3. Type, without quotes, "cd %systemroot%\system32" and press Enter.
4. Type, without quotes, "regsvr32 comctl32.ocx /u" and press Enter. <- this unregisters the file in case the registration got corrupted
5. Type, without quotes, "regsvr32 comctl32.ocx" and press Enter. <- this registers the file

for a 64 bit version of windows make sure comctl32.ocx is located in the windows\SysWOW64 directory then
3. Type, without quotes, "cd %systemroot%\SysWOW64" and press Enter.
4. Type, without quotes, "regsvr32 comctl32.ocx /u" and press Enter. <- this unregisters the file in case the registration got corrupted
5. Type, without quotes, "regsvr32 comctl32.ocx" and press Enter. <- this registers the file

Noel.se

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15453 on: November 11, 2014, 05:36:45 am »

I don't have comctl32.ocx in my windows\SysWOW64 directory (I use 64 bit version)

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #15454 on: November 11, 2014, 10:00:23 am »

I don't have comctl32.ocx in my windows\SysWOW64 directory (I use 64 bit version)
You can grab a copy off my dropbox here. Copy it into the SysWOW64 directory, then follow the instructions for the 64bit version above.

Noel.se

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15455 on: November 11, 2014, 10:41:57 am »

It works now. Thank you for your help and your time :).

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #15456 on: November 18, 2014, 12:21:42 am »

Sooo, bump time. I've never gotten too far in this game, and newb tips while i install it on my new pc?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15457 on: November 18, 2014, 12:39:51 am »

Sooo, bump time. I've never gotten too far in this game, and newb tips while i install it on my new pc?
Hmm... focus research?  Engine and speed will save you a lot of headache, as it means speed, fuel efficiency, and ability to evade hits entirely.  It'll be the backbone of your empire and you should always have pretty much one guy with max labs assigned to it.

Other than that, missiles are decent, they're a good all-arounder and can deal with enemies from extreme distance.  Otherwise lasers are good combat too.  Add a light spattering of high-speed ships wielding microwaves, and you can do a lot of damage.

And expand early.  You'll want to basically start harvesting out Sol ASAP, with mass drivers to ship supplies back to Earth for construction.  It's entirely possible to have one construction effort and to ship raw goods in, buildings out.  Get terraforming too, though, as a few well-established colonies will have you rolling in tax money, which supports research among other things.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15458 on: November 18, 2014, 12:48:09 am »

Expect to fail, and don't be afraid to give yourself stuff to fix mistakes.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15459 on: November 18, 2014, 09:51:53 am »

And don't bother with diplomacy. Put every alien race under the yoke of your liberty and freedom.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #15460 on: November 18, 2014, 12:14:57 pm »

A few things to focus on in terms of research.

Engines -
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Defences -

Weapons -

Production rate techs are usually well worth obtaining at least the first couple of levels for, although the increased output of whatever you have increased means you are spending the same level of increase more wealth to fund it. Researching the expand economy tech each time you have researched a level in several of the others is generally a good idea.

EM scanners may be better to research than Thermal scanners as EM scanner tech contributes to the range of you active sensor/missile fire controls. On the other hand EM scanners can only pick up ships with running active sensors/shields or planetary populations, while Thermal scanners can pick up anything with a thermal output which is practically any potentially hostile object.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15461 on: November 18, 2014, 01:09:08 pm »

And don't bother with diplomacy. Put every alien race under the yoke of your liberty and freedom.

Have to disagree with you here.  Having an alien race as an ally means they'll periodically give you research.  You might be able to safely ignore some research paths this way, like certain energy weapons, kinetic weapons, defensive tech and sensors.

Engines -

Unless you expect to have hostile neighbors or have some urgent need to colonize the moon or something I'd say put off building any engines before magneto-plasma.    Research costs are low enough that it's not too bad.

Armor tech is very important.  Shields can wait, especially if you use missile ships.

Getting the tech that cuts shipyard expansion costs by 50% is very important since it's so costly to get shipyards large enough for some types of civilian ships like terraformers or sorium harvesters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15462 on: November 18, 2014, 03:42:38 pm »

Have to disagree with you here.  Having an alien race as an ally means they'll periodically give you research.  You might be able to safely ignore some research paths this way, like certain energy weapons, kinetic weapons, defensive tech and sensors.
That sounds like something an alien-lover would say....get 'im, boys!  :P

But seriously, I've tried to play with having alien allies but the problem is that the AI will freely starting settling on planets in your territory. Steve has talked about creating "zones of control" via diplomacy so that the AI would respect boundaries. But until then, having an AI ally is just asking for your systems to be colonized by the AI, which will then get slowly upset that your ships are in "their' space.

The possible exceptions to this are:
1. Allies that are far away from your chunk of space (several hops from the nearest frontier system)
2. Allies that have utterly different habitable needs (like a methane-breather when you're a NiO-breather, or vice versa). I think a symbiotic empire with methane-breathers colonizing the frozen slushballs and your empire colonizing the inner rocky worlds would be pretty neat. Although the amount of civvie traffic generated from inter-empire trade is going to drag down the game speed considerably.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15463 on: November 18, 2014, 05:07:43 pm »

Engines -

Unless you expect to have hostile neighbors or have some urgent need to colonize the moon or something I'd say put off building any engines before magneto-plasma.    Research costs are low enough that it's not too bad.

Armor tech is very important.  Shields can wait, especially if you use missile ships.

Getting the tech that cuts shipyard expansion costs by 50% is very important since it's so costly to get shipyards large enough for some types of civilian ships like terraformers or sorium harvesters.

I disagree for the last point RedKing made: crushing all NPRs means that your campaign lasts longer because of reduced non-player traffic.

That said, +1 to the drive tech. I rarely build anything except basic in-system survey ships before that point, and not much more until T6-7 drives if I can help it because they're so quickly obsoleted and that bothers me on a fundamental super-OCD level.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15464 on: November 18, 2014, 05:53:10 pm »

Although the amount of civvie traffic generated from inter-empire trade is going to drag down the game speed considerably.

Game speed is part of the metagame now? :P

(It's seriously the only game I bothered to install on a ramdisk though)
Pages: 1 ... 1029 1030 [1031] 1032 1033 ... 1346