Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1034 1035 [1036] 1037 1038 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2702539 times)

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #15525 on: December 04, 2014, 11:39:42 am »

Another question: Do CIWS contain their own active sensor?
Yes, although it only functions for the CIWS itself.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15526 on: December 04, 2014, 10:40:12 pm »

And it's super-tiny so only effective out to 10,000km range, IIRC.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15527 on: December 05, 2014, 02:01:19 am »

It also doesn't (or at least when I played) have enough of an EM footprint to register on sensors. the CIWS is really designed to be (and works as) a final defensive fire turret for the ship its mounted on.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15528 on: December 05, 2014, 09:07:48 am »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15529 on: December 05, 2014, 02:09:00 pm »

Indeed they are, though you can turn them offensive with certain fire control bugs. :P

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15530 on: December 05, 2014, 04:03:02 pm »

Indeed they are, though you can turn them offensive with certain fire control bugs. :P

IRL some CIWS are able of "manual" or even surface to surface (if we talk ship) engagement.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15531 on: December 06, 2014, 01:40:09 am »

Please enlighten me.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15532 on: December 10, 2014, 03:48:10 pm »

How do you launch recon missiles at a planet/waypoint? Do they need to be in range?
Edit: Nvm, it wasn't refreshing right.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 06:51:26 pm by palu »
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

SlyStalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Always angry, all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15533 on: December 22, 2014, 08:08:13 pm »

How do I conduct an orbital geological survey? I have three ships in a task force; They all work and they have geological sensors. I order the task force to conduct a survey at Luna, and the game shows that they accumulate survey points, but when I go to the Population and Production screen all the minerals have a value of "-".
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15534 on: December 22, 2014, 08:17:30 pm »

How do I conduct an orbital geological survey? I have three ships in a task force; They all work and they have geological sensors. I order the task force to conduct a survey at Luna, and the game shows that they accumulate survey points, but when I go to the Population and Production screen all the minerals have a value of "-".

Pass some time. Surveys take a while to complete and any minerals won't show up until the survey is finished. You should be able to see how long it will take in the task group window or the system map. Also, a lot of the time there won't be any minerals. There will be a message in the event log if they find anything.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

SlyStalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Always angry, all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15535 on: December 22, 2014, 08:38:41 pm »

But if there are no minerals present, then will it show as "-" or "0"?
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15536 on: December 22, 2014, 08:52:38 pm »

Don't remember, but I'm leaning toward "-". Look at Luna in the system information window. It will tell you if it's been surveyed and what minerals there are if any.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Carnwennan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15537 on: December 23, 2014, 04:40:57 pm »

If you look at the alerts menu or keep the minerals tab open on the system map, you'll be able to tell when your geosurvey ships find things. Not everything has trans-newtonian minerals, so if you don't get a message and nothing appears in the minerals tab, the planet aint got nothing.

Remember to survey with geosurvey teams as well, after you've scanned :) You can find huge mineral deposits that way. I forget the exact formula, but iirc training them up on asteroids was a good way to go. I'm not sure if geosurvey teams can find things on planets with no minerals found, does anyone have time to check?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15538 on: December 23, 2014, 06:12:26 pm »

The way ego teams work now was changed, higher levels just make them work faster rather that raising their chance to find anything, so there's no need to shove them onto asteroids first. You have a good chance of getting an excellent haul from large terrestrial planets.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #15539 on: December 23, 2014, 08:11:36 pm »

Do note that any minerals found by a ground survey team since the changes to the mechanics of surveying, will not be added to the quantity of any minerals already present. They will instead replace the original quantity or accessibility or both(for each mineral seperately), if that found by the team is higher. If you have bodies with good quantities and accessibilities of minerals, it may be worth holding off on performing a ground survey until the body is mostly mined out.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Pages: 1 ... 1034 1035 [1036] 1037 1038 ... 1346