Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1035 1036 [1037] 1038 1039 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2704543 times)

SlyStalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Always angry, all the time
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #15540 on: December 24, 2014, 08:43:27 am »

OK, thanks guys. More questions: Can geological teams be dropped off on hostile planets with no Infrastructure and be expected to carry out a survey before they asphyxiate? Also, does low gravity or other planetary characteristics affect the quaity of soldiers trained on that planet?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 08:46:49 am by SlyStalker »
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #15541 on: December 24, 2014, 09:23:24 am »

Yes and no.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #15542 on: December 24, 2014, 12:37:03 pm »

Survey teams can be dropped off on any body(excluding gas giants) to survey regardless of it's atmosphere/temperature.

Generally the properties of a body do not effect the troops trained there, although I do recall at least at one point, ground training facilities required the presence of a population on the body to function even if they did not require any population as actual workers. Not entirely sure if that is still the case.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

SlyStalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15543 on: December 24, 2014, 08:02:20 pm »

Are soldiers affected by lack of infrastructure on a hostile world?

Also, is it possible to terraform Luna?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 08:21:11 pm by SlyStalker »
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #15544 on: December 24, 2014, 10:05:22 pm »

Are soldiers affected by lack of infrastructure on a hostile world?

Also, is it possible to terraform Luna?
Soldiers do not need infrastructure, and it depends. If luna has enough gravity, it is just a matter of getting enough of the right gases in the air (a lot harder than it sounds unless you got the resources for it). If gravoty is too low, then no, unless you can GMO lower gravity ranges you will need underground infrastructure.
Also worth noting that while terraformer constructions may seem easier to manage, you need a civilian population to operate them, necessiating infrastructure. You could otherwise try to build terraforming ships, but they are heavy, typically slow, and more resource intensive.
Does anyone know if crew morale or grade bonus affects terraforming rates? If neither, you can make the vessel conscript only, with minimal deployment time (Try .1 months).

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15545 on: December 25, 2014, 02:06:22 am »

Forget the vessel, do a terraforming station and tow it there. You can even strap hab modules to kickstart the colony.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15546 on: December 25, 2014, 02:32:33 am »

I'm pretty sure crew morale and grade does not affect terraforming rate, only the captain's terraforming skill.

I tend to build massive terraformers, in the 200,000-tonne range early game, and then as much as 1,000,000-tonne once I've got the industrial base and shipyards to support it. At that size, I don't even bother with engines and just build a dedicated hauler platform to tow it (usually the Nostromo-class)  :P

Plus, then the same towing platforms can be used for superheavy asteroid miners, Sorium skimmers, and even orbital stations.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15547 on: December 25, 2014, 03:18:15 pm »

I read about you guys' designs, and wonder why I seem to be the only one embracing the axiom 'there is no point in building small in space.'  My basic terraformers are in the 20-30 million ton range, and I build at least five of them, they are as self-sustaining as Aurora lets me make them (and sometimes have a couple million population).  I don't build anything small in fact, gunships and fighters are rather useless when I can field multi-million ton warships that are effectively immune to all forms of damage.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #15548 on: December 25, 2014, 03:22:05 pm »

Perhaps because it takes decades of game time to get the shipyard capacity to build such giant ships, and smaller ships can be built in much greater quantity for the same resources, giving infinitely greater strategic flexibility, perhaps?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15549 on: December 25, 2014, 03:24:57 pm »

All I have to do is slap a hab module on anything that large that I want built, and it take all of maybe eighteen months per unit once I have 1000 or so factories.  Much faster than waiting for a shipyard to upgrade.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #15550 on: December 25, 2014, 05:42:43 pm »

Several of us do tend to utilize larger designs than most of those commonly posted, particularly for commercial class vessels. However most do not jump straight to using the behemoth type ships immediately.

For example, here are the typical sizes I use for military craft in most games.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jumping straight to the higher sizes of craft via using hab-modules to let industry build them does suffer some disadvantages.

First and most obvious, the hab-module is taking up space and crew that could be used for other things.
Second, if you are sidestepping waiting for your shipyards to reach the appropriate size, you will likely not have the maintenance facilities to support the larger ships without having to expend large and increasing quantities of maintenance supplies.
Third, lacking the appropriate sized shipyards means that they cannot be refitted as your technology advances.
Fourth, there is a hard limit on how big your ships can be if you don't want to be reliant on jump-gates for inter-system travel, that only reaches over the million ton mark at the end of the tech line.
Fifth, if your factories are tied up in building your ships, they are not working on expanding your industrial capability/mineral income.

Some of these can obviously be ignored for purely commercial ships such as terraformers, and of course you are always free to ignore them to play in a particular style, but they do explain why many stick with the smaller designs.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15551 on: December 25, 2014, 06:25:33 pm »

That, and challenge.

For a parallel: Sure, you can wall your fortress off, using safe mining techniques to extract adamantine and training up a force of dozens of legendary +5 soldiers, and only then deal with attacks, but where's the fun in that? It's more entertaining, at least from my view, to take on vastly superior numbers with a relative handful of small ships, focusing more on careful logistical management and tactical planning than "lol what should I blow up next with my invincible superfleet?" :|

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #15552 on: December 25, 2014, 08:52:38 pm »

Jumping straight to the higher sizes of craft via using hab-modules to let industry build them does suffer some disadvantages.

Wow, I never even thought of doing that.  And having my antique vessels act as orbital housing is kind of cool.

SlyStalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15553 on: December 26, 2014, 12:15:19 am »

Speaking of that, do orbital habitats count as on-the-ground colonies?

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15554 on: December 26, 2014, 02:30:59 am »

Are you allowed to do that with military ships? If so, it sounds intensely like a bug, as the inclusion of weapons, large sensors and shields are supposed to flag your ship to military shipyards only. Sticking a hab module on and allowing it to be ground built is all kinds of broken.
Pages: 1 ... 1035 1036 [1037] 1038 1039 ... 1346