Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1039 1040 [1041] 1042 1043 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2700363 times)

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #15600 on: January 20, 2015, 01:46:21 am »

Second is the battles. I've searched 4-5 systems but usually never find anything, and at the same time an having time slowed down by other battles, which makes the tedious expansion take even longer, and I end up losing interest.
4-5?  I play games where I've fully explored and started to exploit 100 systems (I stop counting the systems I've just done grav surveys in, only ones where geo surveys have made it to) and run into 1 of the 3 starting NPRs I added along with maybe 2-3 more that we're spawned with a 100% chance.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15601 on: January 20, 2015, 02:05:49 am »

Second is the battles. I've searched 4-5 systems but usually never find anything, and at the same time an having time slowed down by other battles, which makes the tedious expansion take even longer, and I end up losing interest.
4-5?  I play games where I've fully explored and started to exploit 100 systems (I stop counting the systems I've just done grav surveys in, only ones where geo surveys have made it to) and run into 1 of the 3 starting NPRs I added along with maybe 2-3 more that we're spawned with a 100% chance.

How do you supply the ships that explore hundreds of star systems? I'm afraid of them running out of fuel. Heck, I'm afraid of micro managing them to search the hundreds of planets needed for that. Also, how fast do you expand? Do you just send colonies everywhere you can and leave them alone until they start producing something?

I'm also getting the feeling that I don't need to build a large fleet right off the bat...

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15602 on: January 20, 2015, 02:08:30 am »

Time, patience, and high efficiency engines.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15603 on: January 20, 2015, 02:42:41 am »

Well re-downloaded the game, installed version 5.54, but I'm seeing 6.4 patches and am wondering how to install these. Do I install first the 6.40 patch, and then the 6.44 patch?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15604 on: January 20, 2015, 02:45:23 am »

Yes, as I recall there's a few folders in the patch you need to shove into aurora, as well as the updated exe
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15605 on: January 20, 2015, 11:24:55 am »

How do you supply the ships that explore hundreds of star systems? I'm afraid of them running out of fuel. Heck, I'm afraid of micro managing them to search the hundreds of planets needed for that. Also, how fast do you expand? Do you just send colonies everywhere you can and leave them alone until they start producing something?

I'm also getting the feeling that I don't need to build a large fleet right off the bat...
Automation is key.  I rarely run more than 12 grav and 30 some geo surveys (my geo surveys usually have at least 2 years of fuels along with being commercial so they stay out forever once I start sending out tankers).  Use the second tab of the task force manager, survey next body along with at 40% refuel at nearest colony.

I colonize any world that my race will be able to live on perfectly within 20 years.  My monster terraformers are used to calculate this.  Also resources in the system.  Usually find one candidate every 10-20 systems, depending on the race I'm playing.

Favorite race is to play a oxygen breathing, 3 psi atmo, 200 degree average temp.  Also water is most of the atmo.

A good game for me lasts 100 in game years, at least.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15606 on: January 20, 2015, 04:54:01 pm »

Trying to get back to Aurora after a bit of a time away, so a question:

Deployment time: Do I need it for both military and commercial craft, or can I just have my freighters running around without leave of shore?
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #15607 on: January 20, 2015, 08:10:08 pm »

Trying to get back to Aurora after a bit of a time away, so a question:

Deployment time: Do I need it for both military and commercial craft, or can I just have my freighters running around without leave of shore?

Far as i remember, survey ships were afflicted by morale, even if commercial. Same goes for CIWS i think. Otherwise i think it is safe to let your commercial crew fester. In the cases of such commercial craft, you may even want to checkbox "use conscript" before building them, as it helps save on your skilled crew member population.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #15608 on: January 21, 2015, 12:10:21 am »

Making an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of things can be a good idea, even if it's just a list of systems with markers for "grav survey complete", "geo survey complete" and "infested with alien scum". There's in-game ways to keep track of that information, but I find a nice spreadsheet to make it easier. Of course, I also keep a pretty extensive database on enemy ship classes (with extrapolated capabilities), known numbers, and missiles.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15609 on: January 21, 2015, 12:14:04 am »

Making an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of things can be a good idea, even if it's just a list of systems with markers for "grav survey complete", "geo survey complete" and "infested with alien scum". There's in-game ways to keep track of that information, but I find a nice spreadsheet to make it easier. Of course, I also keep a pretty extensive database on enemy ship classes (with extrapolated capabilities), known numbers, and missiles.

I just set the galaxy map to track those three things, myself. Though making the galaxy map orderly can be a minigame in and of itself.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #15610 on: January 21, 2015, 01:10:16 am »

I find the galaxy map too clunky and too much work for my taste. Since I'm already using Excel to design my ships, allocate missile loads, and keep track of intelligence information, adding an extra page to keep track of star systems is trivial.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15611 on: January 21, 2015, 02:00:34 am »

... So you're using spreadsheets to help you play what is commonly called spreadsheets: the game? :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15612 on: January 21, 2015, 06:27:24 am »

Something I've asked before, but still don't quite get how to do: Civilian populations are generally listed as producing infrastructure in its export capabilities. How do I actually get that infrastructure on the colonies? I set a demand for infrastructure in the destiny colony but it does nothing, the civilian liners just sit there unless I have infrastructure I produced myself somewhere else and set it as an offering for civilian ships to grab it, which doesn't have anything to do with civilian populations producing infrastructure.

So, anyone knows how to do it?
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15613 on: January 21, 2015, 07:18:57 am »

Have there be demand for infrastructure at another planet, and wait for civilians to move it. There's no way to directly move it yourself.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15614 on: January 21, 2015, 11:06:55 am »

There's no need to place an order for any, they move it from the secret stocks on their own.

You just need to start a colony by unloading some inferstructure and colonists your self.  Just make sure you have the latest version.
Pages: 1 ... 1039 1040 [1041] 1042 1043 ... 1346