Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1044 1045 [1046] 1047 1048 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2705375 times)

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #15675 on: January 27, 2015, 03:22:19 pm »

For the "no colony within jump distance", did you check the "no auto route jump check" box on the orders page?   That *should* let it route over jump points as long as you have the appropriate sized jump-drive ship sitting on the jump point.    I usually give my Jump Tankers a big space for maint supplies too, making it a Jump Tender/Tanker, that lets the survey ships restock/refuel from them without making the long trek back and forth to Earth every time...

ED:  Reading the above - hmm I prefer it this way, with the survey ships non jump-capable and thus more expendable.  One JTT can handle multiple squadrons of survey ships with a *little* micromanagement.  And I can use the same design to shuttle fuel/maint to military fleets, and to  be a mobile gate for them too. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 03:33:43 pm by gimlet »

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15676 on: January 27, 2015, 04:44:51 pm »

The most expensive thing in a 6k jump capable ship is the jump engine.  I rarely send more than one into a system anyway.  Expendable conscript ship is expendable. 

That and my grav survey ships are usually the second ship I start making after geo survey ships.  It doesn't take long to unlock jump drives, that and you also have little use knowing where jump points are with out jump drives anyway.  I see little reason to not make my grav survey ships jump capable.

I'm not a fan of having to make a ship designed to just support my survey group, especially if that ship can end up costing more.

I've ran a game where I didn't use a single jump drive and relied on gates for everything.  Was a slow game, but my military ships were silly massive balls of armor and missile tubes.

Dorfs R Fun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15677 on: January 27, 2015, 09:56:43 pm »

I always combine grav/geo/jump ships into one 5k package. They're slow as all hell but when they run in packs with a 2-3 yr maint life they get the job done pretty quick. I always give the order to divide on jump and 14 little buggers zerg survey the system and return to jump point all on their own.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 10:00:12 pm by Dorfs R Fun »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #15678 on: January 27, 2015, 10:12:43 pm »

This is my standard Geo and Grav survey designs, although I'm not actually using any at the moment (I captured a large number of survey ships in early wars when the Sol truce timer abruptly failed, and free beats pretty much any other factor for such things).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They're cheap, reliable, and fairly efficient.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15679 on: January 27, 2015, 10:33:08 pm »

Well, good news is my cargo ships can now transport. Bad news is I think I have a bug or two. My cargo ships got a conditional order to refuel, but not only did they get the "no colony within distance" problem while away from the Sol system, but after their normal orders brought them to the Sol system and they fulfilled the conditional orders, the conditional orders won't go away and erased all my other orders. It just keep sayings "cargo task group has fulfilled orders to refuel at earth" and the order to refuel just stays there while all my other orders are gone.

Also, when I check the "No auto-route jump check" box, it seems to uncheck itself at some point.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #15680 on: January 28, 2015, 01:32:31 am »

Close In Weapons Systems: More useful than you think.
Sure a single one on a freighter isn't a whole lot, but have any of you tried seven? 28 shots every five seconds at my current tech level. My geosurvey group which has been accompanied by my junp freighter managed to flee from an enemy jump point ambush while my freighter swatted entire salvos out of the sky and tanked whatever managed to get through when they preformed coordinated strikes.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15681 on: January 28, 2015, 07:54:32 am »

It's very Gamey but using a high speed freighter that's all armour and CIWS is an excellent way of getting past AMM spam.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15682 on: January 28, 2015, 10:19:26 am »

It's very Gamey but using a high speed freighter that's all armour and CIWS is an excellent way of getting past AMM spam.

I don't think it's gamey. You are making a ship specifically for destroy missile spam. It's a massive heavily armored ship with a bunch of anti missile weapons. If that's gamey then building any other to be specialized for something is gamey.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #15683 on: January 28, 2015, 10:26:16 am »

The gamey part is avoiding maintenance on a ship that you use for military purpose.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15684 on: January 28, 2015, 11:20:33 am »

That and being able to build it in a civilian yard.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #15685 on: January 28, 2015, 11:53:57 am »

Also it means you can have it ridiculously huge (since civilian yard), and since enemies target bigger ships first, they'll only target that. So you're gaming the AI.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dorfs R Fun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15686 on: January 28, 2015, 12:37:00 pm »

Just had the weirdest bug yet in my few years of playing Aurora. I'm as used to game breaking bugs as anyone who's spent any amount of time playing but this one takes the cake for me. I started a new game with no npr and no spoilers in an attempt to have a long term game between me, myself and I. Everything was going well between a 3 empire, 2 system map for about 60 years. During a time of extended peace I decided to advance the game a full year at 5 day intervals while I took a nap.

Long story short...

A few hours later I check back in and I see an error popped up. Had to exit the game and restart. Check the events page and I see thousands of 5 day intervals with no events. Check the date, holy shit it's the year 2113 (started the game in 2000). So I advance the game by one more day and page after page of events pop up.

Every single scientist, leader and captain just retired, everybody and their mother. Some were well past a hundred years old, but not a single construction or research has advanced a day. It has always been a love/hate relationship with aurora and today I HATE. I have no one.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15687 on: January 28, 2015, 12:49:49 pm »

Turn on Spacemaster, open leader-window and "add extra". Wouldn't consider it cheating in this case.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15688 on: January 28, 2015, 02:11:27 pm »

Angry at being denied access to your universe, alien agents attacked Earth with the Aging Ray...

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15689 on: January 29, 2015, 08:44:39 am »

Ok, so any more comments on what could be wrong with my possible bug, or do I head over to the game's actual forums and probably get this fixed in....well, never.
Pages: 1 ... 1044 1045 [1046] 1047 1048 ... 1346