Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1058 1059 [1060] 1061 1062 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2705448 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #15885 on: February 14, 2015, 01:02:44 am »

I need to test bomb lasers against atmosphere, for science.
Get back to us on it when you do, eh?
Meanwhile i am running what is practically a guerilla war on several NPRs swarming around in an adjacent system with loads of junp points. Railguns were reasonably effective against their jump gate constructors, and the FACs were good at hiding with their slightly overengineered maintence.
However i didn't expect one of the races to have RAMMING missile  cruisers! My poor fighters! I find it kind of silly that ships can carry out ramming attempts on vessels faster than ot, and succeed to hit after several hundred of them.
UUUUUH.... I believe one of the spoilers just loves to ram. good times.
Yep. Iceball, you might want to check your known systems for purple dots.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15886 on: February 14, 2015, 09:13:16 am »

How do you assign people to govern things?

Nevermind, figured it out.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 09:15:43 am by Micro102 »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15887 on: February 14, 2015, 10:18:36 am »

Alright, I have begun encountering my worst fear. Earth is running dry on resources and I cannot maintain my ships, so now I am going to have to move EVERYTHING to another sector and only leave PDCs and fighters to defend.

I've barely got another functioning system up yet. It has some construction factories, but only a few maintenance facilities and fuel produces. Luckily however this planet has many times more minerals then pretty much all of Sol combined. I'm starting to think that the best course of action is to abandon Sol as quickly as possible in favor of a better system.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15888 on: February 14, 2015, 10:57:27 am »

Honestly it's usually easier to ship minerals back to Earth than it is to move all of your infrastructure and several billion/hundred million people, which you have to do if you want to staff your industry &c. It's usually more costly in fuel to move all of that than it is to ship minerals, with the added downside of having a long period of time where you're running below capacity. Unless you found a system with multiple planets below 2.0 cost and tens of millions of tons of every resource, it probably ain't worth it.

3. Run Resize Enable

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #15889 on: February 14, 2015, 12:48:42 pm »

Honestly it's usually easier to ship minerals back to Earth than it is to move all of your infrastructure and several billion/hundred million people, which you have to do if you want to staff your industry &c. It's usually more costly in fuel to move all of that than it is to ship minerals, with the added downside of having a long period of time where you're running below capacity. Unless you found a system with multiple planets below 2.0 cost and tens of millions of tons of every resource, it probably ain't worth it.

Agreed.  Most games have Earth become Space Tokyo: No resources except a large population dedicated to manufacturing and research.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15890 on: February 14, 2015, 12:49:16 pm »

Unless you found a system with multiple planets below 2.0 cost and tens of millions of tons of every resource, it probably ain't worth it.

Yep, have that. But yeah I see how shipping minerals back to earth would be better, but that just seems to bring up more problems.

- My cargo ships will get tied up forever.

- My other colonies will have to be reduced to mining colonies (Unless there is a way to set a certain type/amount of mineral to not be transported)

- I'm going to end up having to transport multiple buildings and population from earth to these surrounding colonies anyway.

....So based on all of this I'm guessing I'll need to make a web of colonies that supply to main colonies that supply back to earth for the entire game. Does anyone have some sort of template as to what they usually put on their colonies? The obvious are infrastructure, deep space sensors, and mines. But when do you add construction factories, if at all? Do you ever build any important buildings elsewhere?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #15891 on: February 14, 2015, 12:58:57 pm »

In order to replace Earth, you need a zero colony cost world.  Even 0.001 colony cost adds up with populations in the billions.

I have little experience with your situation (rarely do I find such good systems, so I usually have small mining outposts feeding Earth).
But I would suggest gearing your outlying systems towards small ships, while Earth continues to produce the larger vessels.
Note that it is always easier to do all your research on the same planet, so Earth might as well do that.

How many systems away is your ideal system from Earth?

- My other colonies will have to be reduced to mining colonies (Unless there is a way to set a certain type/amount of mineral to not be transported)

You can tell transports to only pick up X mineral.  Just list what you want, and the transport will skip what you want left.  You can do this per transport for your empire ships, and set it up for the civilians as trade requests.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #15892 on: February 14, 2015, 01:17:09 pm »

You can also set up a reserve amount in the mineral windows, and ships won't pick the reserve minerals.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15893 on: February 14, 2015, 01:21:53 pm »

And as things go, even a single-hold freighter can carry a shitload of minerals. You don't need many to maintain supply lines.

3. Run Resize Enable

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15894 on: February 14, 2015, 01:55:22 pm »

2500t per hold, iirc.
Those can be slow and fuel efficient ones as well. Doesn't really matter if you get 5000t twice a year or 10000t once. And the transports can be set to cycle moves, so you won't have to bother with them.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15895 on: February 14, 2015, 04:37:02 pm »

25,000t, actually. That's more than anything short of a planet with a full spectrum of deposits and hundreds of mines will produce, which is why I tend to use collection points for entire systems, so that once every couple years I can send a freighter in to pick everything up.

3. Run Resize Enable

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15896 on: February 14, 2015, 04:48:32 pm »

Also remember that moving is only a temporary fix - no matter how much minerals a new system seems to have, they'll still run out *sometime*.  So even though you have some freighters tied up "forever", the alternative is having a bunch of pop transports that sit idle for decades, or need to be rebuilt - is that really "better"?

Yeah as you strip-mine all the nearby systems mineral transport gets to be more and more of a pain, you can optimize it somewhat by using mass drivers to send all mined minerals to a colony nearest the jump point, have a freighter leave-when-full route from there to the colony nearest the exit of the jump point, mass drive from there to colony nearest next jump point, etc. (assuming that's shorter than the gate-to-gate direct route, obviously).  It's been a while since I had problems like that, but lately I've been starting new games before I hit that point.  ISTR it taking relatively few freighters and not THAT much fuel, really...

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #15897 on: February 15, 2015, 02:29:50 am »

I need to test bomb lasers against atmosphere, for science.
Get back to us on it when you do, eh?
Meanwhile i am running what is practically a guerilla war on several NPRs swarming around in an adjacent system with loads of junp points. Railguns were reasonably effective against their jump gate constructors, and the FACs were good at hiding with their slightly overengineered maintence.
However i didn't expect one of the races to have RAMMING missile  cruisers! My poor fighters! I find it kind of silly that ships can carry out ramming attempts on vessels faster than ot, and succeed to hit after several hundred of them.
UUUUUH.... I believe one of the spoilers just loves to ram. good times.
Yep. Iceball, you might want to check your known systems for purple dots.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I also kind of find it funny that the succesful ramming attempts, while absolutely devasting on my fighters (egh, 160 damage...) it appearantly hits with recoil! The impact only did a feeble 9 damage back but that seemed to be enough to penetrate through the armor i scraped off and cause secondary explosions, yis.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15898 on: February 15, 2015, 05:57:42 am »

I lost a command ship to ramming. Good thing I had two of those. Tried to stay at 100k km from then on.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15899 on: February 15, 2015, 06:41:14 am »

Wait, so if your fighters are in a single group and a ship rams them, they will all continuously run into the big ship until it slows down or something? So the realistic and efficient thing to do is make all the fighters individual units and separate them? Is that easy?
Pages: 1 ... 1058 1059 [1060] 1061 1062 ... 1346