Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1059 1060 [1061] 1062 1063 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2705554 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #15900 on: February 15, 2015, 10:23:03 am »

Wait, so if your fighters are in a single group and a ship rams them, they will all continuously run into the big ship until it slows down or something? So the realistic and efficient thing to do is make all the fighters individual units and separate them? Is that easy?
I want you to sit back and reread this.  :P

And no, that's just because they're all in the same TG (and thus in the same location, moving at the same velocity, &c.). The same would happen with any other group of ships in a TG. If the ramming ship is fast enough to catch the TG, it'll keep initiating ramming attacks against ships in it until it is destroyed, all of the ships are destroyed, or it breaks off for some reason.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15901 on: February 15, 2015, 10:53:29 am »

I believe ramming still only hits a single fighter every 5 seconds.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15902 on: February 15, 2015, 03:54:13 pm »

And honestly, if your fighters can't outrun whatever's ramming them, you need new fighters anyways.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15903 on: February 15, 2015, 04:07:55 pm »

And honestly, if your fighters can't outrun whatever's ramming them, you need new fighters anyways.
I've been thinking the same thing.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #15904 on: February 15, 2015, 07:48:34 pm »

Except my fighters had double the movement speed of the offebding craft. And they still got hit after several hundred failed attempts.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15905 on: February 15, 2015, 08:06:52 pm »

Wait, so if your fighters are in a single group and a ship rams them, they will all continuously run into the big ship until it slows down or something? So the realistic and efficient thing to do is make all the fighters individual units and separate them? Is that easy?

And no, that's just because they're all in the same TG (and thus in the same location, moving at the same velocity, &c.). The same would happen with any other group of ships in a TG. If the ramming ship is fast enough to catch the TG, it'll keep initiating ramming attacks against ships in it until it is destroyed, all of the ships are destroyed, or it breaks off for some reason.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding how this went. The way I see it, is that the game treats all the ships in a task group as being one "thing". So when one fighter gets rammed, all the other fighters need to run into the ship as well. Hence the 160 damage in one interval.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #15906 on: February 15, 2015, 08:15:08 pm »

Except my fighters had double the movement speed of the offebding craft. And they still got hit after several hundred failed attempts.

The fighters were probably ordered to attack with short range weapons.  Hence, the offending craft could occasionally close the distance.  Any ship that can travel more than 10,000 km/s will be able to ram when ships with 10,000 km range weapons are set to fire at it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15907 on: February 15, 2015, 08:24:21 pm »

Maybe I'm misunderstanding how this went. The way I see it, is that the game treats all the ships in a task group as being one "thing". So when one fighter gets rammed, all the other fighters need to run into the ship as well. Hence the 160 damage in one interval.

This does not happen for ships. I've never seen any sort of documentation or comment from Steve which would suggest that TGs or squadrons of fighters are counted as single entities for the purpose of targeting. The fact that missiles and beams target fighters individually supports this.

Which seems more likely, that there's a single exception which somehow allows groups of fighters to be treated as a single target solely for ramming attacks but no other types of attacks which does not affect any other ships despite there being effectively no difference save for the ability to be added to squadrons and mount certain modules, or that it was something else?

And if it was what you're suggesting, would it really be worth the absolute pain-in-the-ass effort of managing dozens of task group orders every time you deployed fighters?

--

Though yes, rereading the original comment, sounds like Precursors, since they were specified as using missiles. Precursors do sometimes like to ram, and they're fast enough that they probably got attacks every tick, especially if the fighters were ordered to hold range for their firing rather than just running away.

Most importantly though, you also misread what iceball wrote. The ramming attacks did 160 damage to the fighters; the returned damage to the ship(s) that conducted the attacks was only 9 points of damage.

3. Run Resize Enable

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #15908 on: February 15, 2015, 08:29:51 pm »

Flying Dice got it right, and i guess the railguns having a puny range of 10,000 km didn't help. THAT SAID, i was seeing Ramming Attempted messages even when my fighters were around 100,000 km away which was extremely disconcerting. Are ramming attacks supposed to have "range" to speak of?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15909 on: February 15, 2015, 08:31:59 pm »

The fighters were probably ordered to attack with short range weapons.  Hence, the offending craft could occasionally close the distance.  Any ship that can travel more than 10,000 km/s will be able to ram when ships with 10,000 km range weapons are set to fire at it.

Since you can only do 5 sec intervals, could that range for ramming extend to 50,000 km?

The ramming attacks did 160 damage to the fighters; the returned damage to the ship(s) that conducted the attacks was only 9 points of damage.
This is what I mean. The ship rammed one fighter, so all the fighters ended up getting individually rammed? So in order to avoid the ramming he would either need to make different fighters with different ranged weapons, or split them into many units. Again, I'm suspecting that I'm missing something regarding the 160 damage if anything.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15910 on: February 15, 2015, 08:39:04 pm »

The ramming attacks did 160 damage to the fighters; the returned damage to the ship(s) that conducted the attacks was only 9 points of damage.
This is what I mean. The ship rammed one fighter, so all the fighters ended up getting individually rammed? So in order to avoid the ramming he would either need to make different fighters with different ranged weapons, or split them into many units. Again, I'm suspecting that I'm missing something regarding the 160 damage if anything.
He literally just repeated it himself, lol.

Let me make it as simple as possible:

1. Cruiser rams fighter.
2. Fighter takes 160 damage and is destroyed.
3. Cruiser takes 9 return damage.

Rinse and repeat. The only wonky thing going on was the usual crap with extremely short ranges and 5-second ticks.

3. Run Resize Enable

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15911 on: February 15, 2015, 10:55:32 pm »

*sigh*

You try to make it simple but let me point something out. He said "160 damage to fighters" and you said "Cruiser rams fighter". So did the cruiser ram one fighter, and it registered as 160 damage even though that is complete overkill? Or did the cruiser make a ramming attack and 160 damage was dispersed over all the fighters?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15912 on: February 15, 2015, 11:21:08 pm »

*sigh*

You try to make it simple but let me point something out. He said "160 damage to fighters" and you said "Cruiser rams fighter". So did the cruiser ram one fighter, and it registered as 160 damage even though that is complete overkill? Or did the cruiser make a ramming attack and 160 damage was dispersed over all the fighters?
*sigh*

Because that's how damage registers in Aurora. If you hit three ships in the same TG with a total of seven missiles, it's going to show up as 7x [insert damage here] hits on three targets, not one [insert damage x7 here] hit. If you plaster a single Swarm Queen with five hundred lasers in a single tick, that's going to show up as five hundred separate laser strikes, each dealing howevermuch damage it does at that range. If the ship damaged multiple fighters in the same tick, it would have to make multiple attacks, which would have shown up as separate damage amounts.

Literally all you have to do to understand the concept is read the log of combat events once. Or look at the system map after a salvo of missiles strikes. Each individual attack is accounted for separately. There's no such thing as an 'AoE' attack against spacecraft; no matter how large you make that warhead, it can still only be used to damage a single ship.

3. Run Resize Enable

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15913 on: February 15, 2015, 11:52:00 pm »

Well I have hardly any experience with combat so that's why I was asking. Frankly it sounds like a good thing. Spam a bunch of tiny cheap fighters and the ship will ram itself to death.

Now, I am having an issue with my resources. I have run low on Gallicite and my current production doesn't seem to be enough. It seems I will have to spam mines just to maintain this one resource. I'm guessing everyone experiences this at some point so how do you handle it?

I would also like to know if there is a way to make it so I can turn off the maintenance required for ships. They are eating up resources (I don't feel safe without them due to the NPR one system away from Sol, so destroying them isn't really an option).

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15914 on: February 16, 2015, 12:02:03 am »

Automines. Automines everywhere.

And deactivating maintenance is one of the starting options which is also available later. In the game details window (the one you load your saves from), there's a column of checkboxes on the right side. Tick the bottom one labelled 'No Overhauls Needed' to disable random breakdowns. Still doesn't stop ships from eating minerals while at planets with any in storage, though, IIRC.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1059 1060 [1061] 1062 1063 ... 1346