Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1060 1061 [1062] 1063 1064 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2672764 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #15915 on: February 16, 2015, 12:24:29 am »

I should point out the obvious, which I always seem to overlook myself. When you change any of the options on the initial game screen, you need to click save before starting the game :p
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15916 on: February 16, 2015, 12:28:35 am »

No automines yet. about 99.9% of all my potential gallicite is concentrated into 2 planets with 0.1 accessibility. I have already colonized both these planets and fully terraformed one. The other has begun terraforming. So more mines and searching for more planets to put more mines on it is....

I don't like the idea of turning maintenance off. Ships SHOULD undergo maintenance. They should get failures and require repairs. I also dislike the idea that the AI will get a disadvantage by including maintenance when it's not needed.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15917 on: February 16, 2015, 01:34:55 am »

.1 accessability is fine for funding maintenance, but you're going to need to find smaller high accessibility deposits for actual growth.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15918 on: February 16, 2015, 01:47:54 am »

No automines yet. about 99.9% of all my potential gallicite is concentrated into 2 planets with 0.1 accessibility. I have already colonized both these planets and fully terraformed one. The other has begun terraforming. So more mines and searching for more planets to put more mines on it is....

I don't like the idea of turning maintenance off. Ships SHOULD undergo maintenance. They should get failures and require repairs. I also dislike the idea that the AI will get a disadvantage by including maintenance when it's not needed.

Here's an old quote from Steve just about a year ago which is relevant:
NPRs work the same as your Empire. They need wealth, minerals, etc. and build installation/ships just as you do. They also create both normal colonies and automated mining colonies. There are four exceptions that come to mind.

1) They don't use fuel (which is possibly why the FACs were so far from home)
2) They don't suffer maintenance failures
3) They don't have to retool shipyards.
4) Minerals from their mining colonies get magically transported home (I will fix that to make it more realistic at some point)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 08:47:51 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15919 on: February 16, 2015, 02:28:32 am »

3) They don't suffer maintenance failures*

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15920 on: February 16, 2015, 02:57:00 am »

Dies their maintenance timer still run though? I am thinking on boarding ships, but it would be kinda useless if they break down before they can make it to a planet.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15921 on: February 16, 2015, 03:14:26 am »

NPR's do put adequate engineering onto their ships, so they don't immediately explode when you capture them.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #15922 on: February 16, 2015, 04:40:04 am »

Except for the hive I think.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15923 on: February 16, 2015, 04:52:21 am »

Yeah, they blow up almost as soon as you capture them :p

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15924 on: February 16, 2015, 08:49:50 am »

ROFL I am such a goof. I even quoted that from a post where someone pointed that out and he corrected it.

But yes, typically the way to play with maintenance off is to act as if it weren't. That's what I do -- I don't really care for the micromanagement of ships constantly blowing gaskets, so I just turn it off and then build them with the same number of engineering spaces I would anyways, keep my maintenance facility capacity on par with my ship sizes, &c.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15925 on: February 16, 2015, 06:34:46 pm »

Is there any reason to not vent alien PoW into space? Can they be interrogated a 2nd time when at a planet now? Or do they just take up useful space?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15926 on: February 16, 2015, 08:11:38 pm »

They don't take up any space planetside that I'm aware of. I like to set up POW camps, myself.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15927 on: February 16, 2015, 08:28:55 pm »

But they take up space in my combat ships. :D

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #15928 on: February 16, 2015, 10:03:20 pm »

You could disect them planetside via biology research to get specs on their species, last i checked. 

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15929 on: February 17, 2015, 01:01:25 am »

Send them all to a tiny planet or asteroid with a bombardment ship waiting, and bomb the hell out of them if the enemy doesn't surrender!
Pages: 1 ... 1060 1061 [1062] 1063 1064 ... 1346