Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1064 1065 [1066] 1067 1068 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2705810 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #15975 on: February 23, 2015, 08:47:51 pm »

You're ready for the swarm once you have beam ships that are faster, and longer ranged.  Good luck micro managing the battle. I always prefer to use missiles just to avoid the hassle of retargeting my beam fire controls. :p
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Rinnix

• Bay Watcher
  • astral tit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15976 on: February 23, 2015, 11:12:04 pm »

So, having some shoddy luck figuring out how naval combat operates in this game.

1. Do you have to assign fire controls to every individual ship in a fleet? I would've figured it would make a lot more sense to be able to give mass orders, in case I wanted to, you know, set up identical point defense for each one.

2. Is there something to point defense systems I'm missing? I've tried to use the Combat Overview screen to set my ...

god damnit I just realized you have to set weapons to the fire controls for the fire controls to do anything with them
and oh, there's copy assigned orders and copy targets

thanks for your help guys

Pictured above: my arse getting kicked in as I attempt to flee the system. I discovered a decently sized fleet not too far into the alpha centauri system, however, with my dumb beam ships only topping out at 2000 km/s I ditched the efforts in attacking the 6000 km/s ships

Even with (I think) appropriately assigning the fire controls my ships didn't seem to put up much of a fight at all against the incoming missiles. I did only have Twin 12cm C4 Near Ultraviolet Laser Turrets for point defense, so would I be correct in assuming that the poor defense was due to their tracking speed only going up to 10,000 km/s, while their missiles were traveling at 30,000 km/s? In the attempts one of the poor ships made it did say it had a 33% chance of hitting, so that seems about right. I really want to show these dudes what's what.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 11:37:38 pm by Rinnix »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15977 on: February 23, 2015, 11:36:57 pm »

1. In the Battle Control Window (F8), look on the right side. The three buttons under the 'Copy Assign' heading (TG, System, and Race) will copy all your fire control, weapon, point defense, missile load, ECCM, &c. assignments to every ship of that class in the group of whichever button you select (aka, TG copies the assignments to all ships of that class in the TG of the one you selected, so on and so forth for the others).

The two buttons under the 'Copy Target' heading (TG and System) do the same as above, except for targeting orders. So if Aegis 003 is targeting Precursor 075 with its heavy laser fire control and Precursor 084 with its missile fire control, clicking TG would copy those targeting assignments to every other Aegis-class ship in the task group, and so on for any possible combination.

If you want to set up the same PD orders for every ship of a given class, select one ship of that class. Assign the PD weapons to the PD fire controls you plan on using, set each fire control into the PD mode you're going to use for it, and then hit the Copy Race button.

2. You're doing better than most people on their first time with it.  :P

But yes, with PD (and drive) tech of that level, you're not going to have a snowball's chance in hell of stopping two-digit volleys of missiles going at speeds like that.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rinnix

• Bay Watcher
  • astral tit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15978 on: February 23, 2015, 11:42:54 pm »

1. In the Battle Control Window (F8), look on the right side. The three buttons under the 'Copy Assign' heading (TG, System, and Race) will copy all your fire control, weapon, point defense, missile load, ECCM, &c. assignments to every ship of that class in the group of whichever button you select (aka, TG copies the assignments to all ships of that class in the TG of the one you selected, so on and so forth for the others).

The two buttons under the 'Copy Target' heading (TG and System) do the same as above, except for targeting orders. So if Aegis 003 is targeting Precursor 075 with its heavy laser fire control and Precursor 084 with its missile fire control, clicking TG would copy those targeting assignments to every other Aegis-class ship in the task group, and so on for any possible combination.

If you want to set up the same PD orders for every ship of a given class, select one ship of that class. Assign the PD weapons to the PD fire controls you plan on using, set each fire control into the PD mode you're going to use for it, and then hit the Copy Race button.

2. You're doing better than most people on their first time with it.  :P

But yes, with PD (and drive) tech of that level, you're not going to have a snowball's chance in hell of stopping two-digit volleys of missiles going at speeds like that.

I see. Glad I got all of that figured out for the future. And I'm especially glad I now know I had hardly a chance in that situation. Now I won't be spending the next couple of hours trying to combat an undefeatable menace with starting tech, haha. Thank you very much, you saved me from a decent amount of future incompetence.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15979 on: February 23, 2015, 11:43:53 pm »

No worries, something like 75% of learning Aurora is minimizing the micromanagement haha.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Edern76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15980 on: February 24, 2015, 06:34:57 am »

Hello.
I may be a complete idiot, but when I try to install the missing .dll file required for system view by using the command regsvr32, I got an error message telling me that it can't found the file (I put the .dll in my sysWOW64 folder and ran cmd as admin).
Any help ?

EDIT : Ok, I'm indeed a total idiot. My cmd was looking for the file in the system32 folder. If you have the same problem, just type "cd.." then "cd sysWOW64" (both without quotes) before entering regsvr32 msstdfmt.dll.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 06:49:08 am by Edern76 »

Rinnix

• Bay Watcher
  • astral tit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15981 on: February 24, 2015, 10:41:16 am »

Well it's happening again
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'd approximate the number of alien ships to be close to an ass-load. 80 to be more exact, each armed with a meson cannon, RoF 1. And that Martadinata has 29 itself.. So basically my geosurvey fleet got instantly vaporized. Aliens are really starting to hurt my feelings. I have to wonder, what are the sorts of minimum requirements for fighting off such forces?

Dorfs R Fun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15982 on: February 24, 2015, 01:29:27 pm »

See the last 2 posts on the previous page.

SkyMarshal

• Bay Watcher
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15983 on: February 24, 2015, 01:31:48 pm »

Someone needs to perform !!SCIENCE!! On the lowest missile yield required to kill the little bastards.  I had some success with anti-ship missiles with built in active sensors.  After the target was killed, the remaining missiles acquired new targets automatically.  No idea how well that'd work in practice.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15984 on: February 24, 2015, 01:47:17 pm »

My last game with warhead 9 missiles and a 65% chance to hit it took an average of 10 to kill/cripple.  5 Missiles per target gave a 20% kill cripple on the first hit and kill rate rose to a 90% on the following 5 missiles.  10 missiles in a single salvo was a 90%.

Those buggers actually do have armor layers.  What they don't have is the ability to quickly repair damaged engines.  Aim to cripple them at range with missiles and mop up with 100k+ range energy weapons.

SkyMarshal

• Bay Watcher
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15985 on: February 24, 2015, 01:50:54 pm »

I'd guess, then, that they have 2/3 armour layers if a size 9 warhead didn't reliably cripple?

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15986 on: February 24, 2015, 01:58:56 pm »

They didn't leak on the first hit, they had at 3 layers.  Kind of remembering when I used wh 16 missiles along time ago they crippled in 3-5 hits.  Then again those missiles had 100% chance to hit.  I'm wondering if the swarm uses the exact same ships in each game or if they are designed per game.

Trying to remember the time I had a running engagement with 80 some swarmers and had to rely on my AMMs to stop them.  Was just able to stop them then

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15987 on: February 24, 2015, 05:19:56 pm »

Spoilers for the SS under the block

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

SkyMarshal

• Bay Watcher
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile