Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1096 1097 [1098] 1099 1100 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2703008 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #16455 on: August 31, 2015, 08:30:02 pm »

I've used them for testing AMMs or point defence.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

hemperor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16456 on: September 01, 2015, 04:21:21 am »

somebody here that uses the Reduced Heigh Windows has missing functions in the menus???

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16457 on: September 01, 2015, 04:24:10 am »

There's a few things that won't show up, I can't recall what
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16458 on: September 02, 2015, 03:22:13 pm »

somebody here that uses the Reduced Heigh Windows has missing functions in the menus???

Lots.  That is why I use a Window Resize program.  Not sure what it is or where I found it, but it's great!

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16459 on: September 02, 2015, 05:06:14 pm »

yeah its because its written in a very old code.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16460 on: September 10, 2015, 08:30:20 am »

I'm not trying to deride the effort that went into Pulsar, but you've pretty much underlined the biggest issue yourself: it's been years since development started, it hasn't gone anywhere fast, it's stopped now, and a lot of the more experienced people who were involved with it... aren't anymore.
To me development seems to be going on pretty fast?
I mean, they released a August 2015 dev update (http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=7863.0) and you can see on the git that they're doing stuff regularly. Whilst it might not be blazing ahead, they already seem to have quite a lot down and are moving as fast as I would expect of an indie team.

My biggest problem with Aurora is just that I know eventually my game will slow down to unplayable levels. This to me is always hanging over me in a way that stops me getting full enjoyment out of it, so I'm really keen for a version that stops this and allows more open ended play.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #16461 on: September 10, 2015, 06:19:03 pm »

Has Steve ever explained why NPRs need to slow down game time when they interact?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16462 on: September 10, 2015, 07:30:55 pm »

Has Steve ever explained why NPRs need to slow down game time when they interact?

Because these NPR interactions are treated just like interactions with the PR. Everything is simulated to the nth degree. So if two NPRs detect one another, time needs to slow down to accommodate any potential conflicts that might arise from their meeting.

The good news is that the next update scheduled will include an optional setting at game startup to limit these detections

Quote from: Steve Walmsley
Optional Detection Rules for Systems without Player Presence

Currently, detection takes place in any system where there are units or populations from two different races. Quite often this will be two alien races and the player race is uninvolved.

In v6.50 there will be three options for detection.

1) Existing detection rules

2) Detection will only take place in systems where the player race is present as well as at least one other race. No detection will take place when a system contains only alien races.

3) Normal detection will only take place in systems where the player race is present as well as at least one other race. In systems with two or more alien races but no player races, detection will be automatically successful.

The advantage of 2) is that it will be the quickest of the three options and there will be no combat unless the player is present - no more short turns caused by NPR vs. NPR. The downside is that this is less realistic and you will not discover wreckage from alien wars.

The advantage of 3) is that the sensor phase is quicker than 1) and is more realistic than 2), although still not as realistic as 1). The downside is that you will get more NPR vs NPR battles than you do now (although fewer interrupts as NPRs move in and out of each other's sensor range).

Bad news is that it'll probably be another year or so before this update actually comes out.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16463 on: September 11, 2015, 12:11:08 am »

I'm not sure about that myself, I'm pretty certain 6.5 is ready to go once steve is satisfied it's tested enough, barring new features being added it could be released before the end of the year.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16464 on: September 11, 2015, 03:10:15 am »

How are the firearms effective compared to melee these days, I remember them being very inaccurate without mods and a high skill. I see there is now aiming in the game.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16465 on: September 11, 2015, 03:11:42 am »

Wrong thread.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16466 on: September 11, 2015, 08:25:09 am »

How are the firearms effective compared to melee these days, I remember them being very inaccurate without mods and a high skill. I see there is now aiming in the game.
Meelee was always overpowered, I had a 14 million ton dreadnaught taken out by a 10'000 ton precursor by ramming.
Wrong thread.
What, really!?!?

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16467 on: September 11, 2015, 03:58:34 pm »

Because these NPR interactions are treated just like interactions with the PR. Everything is simulated to the nth degree. So if two NPRs detect one another, time needs to slow down to accommodate any potential conflicts that might arise from their meeting.

I suspect it's more that when the pulses get shortened due to NPC conflict, it has to go through every single other object and update it. it's not slicing time for *just* the ships in combat, but every other ship as well.
And then there are the interrupts.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16468 on: September 11, 2015, 05:34:37 pm »

se5a, check the events log in SM mode again next time you start getting interrupts. The regular ones are caused almost exclusively by sensor pings on short ticks, which result any time two AI factions are within sensor range of one another. This is why the Invaders were campaign-killers: they didn't actually fight with Swarm or Precursors, so once they cross-populated systems they would generate sensor interrupts constantly and forever.

The issue explicitly isn't slowdown due to combat (save from time to time when they actually fight) -- it's not individual ticks taking longer to process, it's long ticks being interrupted by NPR/other AI interactions, the vast majority of which are sensor updates, which occur as long as they can see each other. Interrupted ticks that run for 5s/30s/1d/whatever don't, in my experience, take measurably longer to process than uninterrupted ticks of those lengths which I initiated myself.

Or maybe I just misunderstood what you were suggesting.  :-\

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16469 on: September 11, 2015, 05:37:06 pm »

I've been reading through Steve's earliest campaigns for the initial release of aurora, sadly a forum , problem meant that most of Steve's posts from 2006-2007 are severely cutoff. But there's a wealth of discussion in the threads by armchair generals/math geeks. It's interesting to see the earliest rules and how it affects the game, for instance in Nemesis there was a serious resource shortage mostly caused by a need to evacuate earth, increasing economic capacity needed to take a back seat to colonisation, exacerbated by early maintenance rules. Ships continued to use maintenance supplies while in overhaul, and commercial ships also used MSP.
Pages: 1 ... 1096 1097 [1098] 1099 1100 ... 1346