Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1097 1098 [1099] 1100 1101 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2704583 times)

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #16470 on: September 12, 2015, 03:08:14 pm »

Or maybe I just misunderstood what you were suggesting.  :-\

You did, the interrupts comment was just an aside.

You're correct though, ticks don't take (much) longer due to combat. there's just more of them.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 02:16:17 am by se5a »

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #16471 on: September 13, 2015, 10:43:42 pm »

http://i.imgur.com/JT2bs1v.png

This is a problem as I'm trying to finally get back into playing, and the only other PC I have to use is my old lappy that is worse thanks to resolution problems (but i will try this on it to see if it cuts off too later)
 Any ideas?

TLDR:new game window is cut on on the right. no window resizing program I've tried has worked

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16472 on: September 13, 2015, 10:48:16 pm »

What screen resolution are you using there?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16473 on: September 13, 2015, 10:49:58 pm »

Also, which programs have you tried? If you haven't given it a shot yet, try the process in my sig (skipping the taskbar move obviously). I started using ResizeEnable back when I needed it precisely because it was the only one I'd found that actually did what I needed.

If none of that works, you might try one of the programs that lets you simulate a multi-monitor setup to scroll your view around, but that's a massive pain in the ass.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16474 on: September 13, 2015, 10:51:51 pm »

If all else fails get another monitor, I used to play with 2, generally I would just load up aurora fiction or Star Trek or something onto the small laptop monitor to keep me occupied while going through turn processing.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #16475 on: September 13, 2015, 11:40:38 pm »

What screen resolution are you using there?
In the shot, I loaded the game in normal 1680x1050. I also tried 1600x1200.
Also, which programs have you tried?
Tried the one in your sig first, yours was easiest to find, heh. Other then that I tried altmove and infiniscreen.
At this rate I'ma go nab an old monitor, I'll report back soon if it works

EDIT: other monitor was too small, and made it worse. Going to look into 'downsampling' I think it is? basically larger resolution then needed. Wait. Will try one more trick I once used too, a fake 'projector' so it'll hold over
EDIT2: Yup, extending the display this way works. it's kinda wonky looking but it lets me start the game finally. Thanks for help guys!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 11:50:17 pm by RexMundi »

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #16476 on: September 14, 2015, 01:30:01 am »

1680x1050 should work fine.

You need to reduce the size of your windows/text.

Assuming win 7, go to control panel, display. Alternatively hit "make text or other items larger or smaller" from screen resolution window.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16477 on: September 14, 2015, 02:34:08 am »

Aurora should be mostly playable at 1280x800 but 1024x768 is possible if you don't mind being screwed around somewhat.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16478 on: September 14, 2015, 04:21:53 am »

Yeah, 1680x1050 should be more than enough; as Marc said you can manage it at 1024x768 with some stuff squashed or cut off. o.0

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16479 on: September 14, 2015, 05:04:51 am »

My laptops been fried and while it's getting fixed (I hope) I was considering getting second hand one of those babies with a tiny ass screen. I do remember in the past struggling trying to play aurora in 1024x600 but it was possible if not frustrating using screen scrolling.

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #16480 on: September 14, 2015, 12:46:24 pm »

Although at the moment I'm playing a game with a three-empire Earth start (China, the EU, the United States)...

Are there pre-made scenarios with other Empires being automated? I've messed with the gamemaster settings but I can't seem to get anything set right. I like the idea of competing with another Earth nation instead of invading aliens but don't know where to look.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #16481 on: September 14, 2015, 01:01:35 pm »

You can do that, but they'll just nuke you the moment you do something they don't like.

Like colonizing their home planet.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16482 on: September 14, 2015, 03:31:00 pm »

You can do that, but they'll just nuke you the moment you do something they don't like.

There's been a peace timer in the game for quite awhile now.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16483 on: September 14, 2015, 03:55:44 pm »

Which I believe is broken in its own way.  Last I heard, the timer never stopped, so it lasts forever.  Fixed?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16484 on: September 14, 2015, 04:08:07 pm »

Which I believe is broken in its own way.  Last I heard, the timer never stopped, so it lasts forever.  Fixed?

I always wind up fighting the AI eventually. Of course, I usually start it, so that may not mean much.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 1097 1098 [1099] 1100 1101 ... 1346