Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1101 1102 [1103] 1104 1105 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2698801 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #16530 on: December 07, 2015, 06:07:33 pm »

Agreed.  Mercury and Venus each have like 9 times the minerals of Earth.  Mars and Luna, unfortunately are barren.
I'm pretty sure it was like that before, at least when you do a system mineral regen.  I've always used the system mineral regen pre 7.0. 
Planets, depending on size and when they have minerals, tend to carry between 1-20 million per resource they got.  Even Earth when mineral regened has between 1-10 million per resource. 
Normally Earth only starts with a pidly amount, under 1 million of each...

Unless you are saying resources are even higher then that...  (I'll take a look when I get home.)

Venus has almost 37 million Duranium and 24 million Gallicite.
Mercury has 9 million Duranium, 4 million Neutronium, 4 million Tritanium, 1 million Sorium, and 4 million Gallicite.
Earth's highest mineral concentration is Duranium at half a million.  Oh, and Pluto has slightly more Duranium than Earth.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16531 on: December 07, 2015, 07:00:27 pm »

It's not even so much the amount, as the number of bodies that have minerals. In this game, Mercury, Venus, Luna, Mars, Titan, Ganymede, Io, and some moon of Neptune are all worthy mining targets. And Jupiter, Saturn, and Neptune all have Sorium.

Previous games, I'd average 1-2 harvestable gas giants and maybe 2 moons/planets of note. Was almost impossible to have a game where all the inner planets + Luna were mineral-bearing.

Maybe as someone said, its to provide more base for a multi-Earth start. Found a super-Earth 2 jumps away in Luyten 726-8 with hundreds of millions of tons of everything. Just needs a slight tweak to lower the oxygen levels and that'll probably be my new capital in 50-75 years.

I'm taking a different tack in this game. Asteroid miners, terraformers and Sorium harvesters are all going to be orbital habs on the order of 600k-1M tons and I'll be using a fleet of tugs to shuffle them into place.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16532 on: December 16, 2015, 05:15:12 pm »

What particular reason there is for laser-equipped ships displaying a 0km range?

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16533 on: December 16, 2015, 05:19:36 pm »

It would probably be easier if you copied the ship design here.

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16534 on: December 16, 2015, 05:22:43 pm »

It would probably be easier if you copied the ship design here.
I unfortunately don't have it. It's a question that was stuck in the back of my head. Oh well.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16535 on: December 16, 2015, 06:46:19 pm »

What particular reason there is for laser-equipped ships displaying a 0km range?

The most common reason for a laser to show as 0 range would probably be if the ship it's on lacks a beam fire control.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16536 on: December 16, 2015, 10:32:20 pm »

The most common reason for a laser to show as 0 range would probably be if the ship it's on lacks a beam fire control.
Could lacking reactors cause it also?

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16537 on: December 16, 2015, 10:33:47 pm »

Could lacking reactors cause it also?

I don't think so, but I'm not sure. I think it may even be possible to fire your weapons once even if you have no reactors.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16538 on: December 17, 2015, 12:13:49 am »

Slowly expand over a number of systems... encounter a hostile NPR... panic, design and start construction of warships... watch as NPR gleefully slaughters about a dozen ships from my various civilian shipping fleets... finally have three warships roll off the line... load them up with missiles and send them to the system under attack...

Realize I don't have a beam fire control for my ships. Whoops - SM mode on, add one in.

*lose a ship because anti-missiles and lasers aren't firing*

Realize I don't have an active sensor that can target missiles. Whoops - SM mode on, add one in.

But it's too late - I've taken too much damage due to nonfunctional defenses. Lose 3 ships to 2 NPR ships, although I do manage to kill one and damage the other.

It appears I might have spent too long away from the game. While I realize that he's taken some steps in the right direction (mostly regarding auto-crew assignment), I think Steve needs to make the ship design screen a little bit more friendly. "Hey, I noticed that you put weapons that need power on your ship without any reactors... are you sure you want to do that?"

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16539 on: December 17, 2015, 12:22:38 am »

The design screen does have a box which tells you if your ship lacks reactors or fire control for the weapons installed. It should also warn for lack of magazines too, but doesn't. I believe it also mentions if you have no fuel tanks.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16540 on: December 17, 2015, 12:30:59 am »

The design screen does have a box which tells you if your ship lacks reactors or fire control for the weapons installed. It should also warn for lack of magazines too, but doesn't. I believe it also mentions if you have no fuel tanks.
Hmm, that's true - but it doesn't appear to give you any heads-up that your anti-missile launchers don't have an active sensor that can actually detect missiles.

(But AlStar, you say - you can have a sensor ship along with your fleet to detect those, there's no need for them on every ship! To which I say, yeah, sure, but it'd be nice if it at least warned you about the fact that your ship will be nonfunctional without another ship that actually can detect things.)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16541 on: December 17, 2015, 12:57:48 am »

It's a realistic simulation of military-industrial contracting and the perils of using the services of the lowest bidder.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16542 on: December 17, 2015, 04:40:38 am »

But the game doesn't know it is for AMMs. Maybe you just want to pepper the enemy ships with size 1 missiles. :D

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #16543 on: December 17, 2015, 05:47:53 am »

Yea. The ship design system is very open ended. Ships share sensor contact information. So an AMM battery doesnt need to use its own active sensor to target. Probably not the smartest thing, but valid.

A possibly more helpful thing is to tell you when a fleet thingy doesnt have any active sensors. But even then what if you just want to make support weapon platforms that rely on other ship sensors?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16544 on: December 18, 2015, 12:46:14 pm »

How do you assign governors for planets other than your homeworld? I don't see anything but

Earth
unassigned (which is strange because a governor is assigned on earth!)

edit: nevermind, figured it out. Had to tick the "Assign to any location"... wouldnt it be straight forward to have it on default?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 12:49:17 pm by Geltor »
Pages: 1 ... 1101 1102 [1103] 1104 1105 ... 1346