Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1109 1110 [1111] 1112 1113 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2702412 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #16650 on: January 04, 2016, 07:14:01 am »

Deep Space Maintenance Facilities

In v7.2, ship-based maintenance modules will function in deep space to maintain and overhaul other ships. All maintenance facilities at the same location, even if spread across different ships and different task groups, will all be added together for the purposes of determining how large a ship can be maintained.

If a ship is in the same location as a sufficient quantity of ship-mounted maintenance facilities, it will automatically be maintained. There are no special orders required.

If a task group contains at least one maintenance module, you can set an order to overhaul at that task group. The overhaul still won't take place unless there are sufficient maintenance modules in the location when the ship arrives (just the same as a population).

This, and other recent changes, will allow the creation of deep space outposts capable of maintaining ships. Below is an example of a base to support survey operations. It can maintain and overhaul ships of up to 6000 tons and provides large reserves of fuel and maintenance supplies. As this is a commercial design, you can build it in commercial shipyards. Two of these bases deployed together would be able to support ships of up to 12,000 tons.

Ship-based maintenance facilities cannot build maintenance supply points so these will need to be shipped to the location.

Jump point static defenses are now a go. :3

EDIT: No, wait, forgot morale.  Drat.

EDIT 2: Oh, also, pursuant to the above, do Construction Brigades still handle alien ruins, or did that get spun off to Combat Engineers when the two were split apart.  It slipped my mind for a bit.

EDIT 3: I just learned from the comments thread that recreation modules work in deep space already.  I'd dance a little jig...well, if I could dance.

Sounds like we'll have to stack all of our ODFs on a single point. Still, it's a pretty big leap forward.  :D

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #16651 on: January 04, 2016, 08:17:48 am »

you can also two ship right? outposts + fac make for a very interesting outpost.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16652 on: January 04, 2016, 09:33:48 am »

I've finally started on the imperium of man. The Campaign dawns after the unification of earth and mars, the lunar cult of Selene holds onto the gene tech centres needed for massive ground force training. Invasion using conventional tech is the only option. They have lasers and PDCs, but the emperor has the last of his thunder warriors, soon to be launched through space in the trial by fire which will make them the first of the legendary space marines.
That sounds pretty fun. Would you mind sharing your setup so I could replicate it? What colonies did you set up and where?
I'll
Be posting the AAR on the aurora forums .
Basically the imperium starts out on earth with minimal predesigned sensors and engines and a few marine battalions.  Also 3 FAC sized battalion transports. On mars the imperium has a shipyard which is building a pair of 30kton transports for low tech units.
Selene holds mars with 3 PDCs with garrison and mobile infantry. Also has a single 1000 ton shipyard and a few 1 kton triple laser corvettes.
The imperium has in counter to this a handful of single rail gun fighters.
After conquering the moon and advancing to trans Newtonian tech the goal is to reconquer the scattered remains of human civilization. Meanwhile the tau and orks as NPRs will be doing the same. Also the Eldar, Tyranids and Necrons may make an appearance. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 09:38:09 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16653 on: January 04, 2016, 10:02:06 am »

Post a link here when you do start posting the AAR please. I'll probably follow

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16654 on: January 04, 2016, 11:06:16 am »

Post a link here when you do start posting the AAR please. I'll probably follow
+1, would love to follow.

Although it sounds like Mars will be engulfed in Nuclear Love with that setup.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16655 on: January 04, 2016, 02:12:11 pm »

EDIT 2: Oh, also, pursuant to the above, do Construction Brigades still handle alien ruins, or did that get spun off to Combat Engineers when the two were split apart.  It slipped my mind for a bit.
Yes, Construction Brigades still handle ruins.  I don't believe combat engineers do so, their bonus is being an actual fighting force and double effectiveness in PDC takeover/defense.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16656 on: January 04, 2016, 02:18:22 pm »

Does Earth require an A6 person?

You also need to use Civil Administrators instead of Scientists.  Only mentioned because Scientists also have Administration ratings.
I clicked a Civil Admin of A4, and Earth required an A3. Clicked assign at the bottom but nothing happened...is there somewhere else to click to set the assignment?
Did you click the administrator, the governor of earth, then assign?
If you click governor of earth then Click the administrator the assignment list will jump back down to unassigned.
I started it again this morning (after getting frustrated and quitting last night) and it worked perfectly fine. Must have been some kind of bug or user error, thanks though.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16657 on: January 04, 2016, 02:25:06 pm »

Steve's new AAR is awsum. I'm rooting for team Russia myself.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16658 on: January 04, 2016, 03:02:51 pm »

Can you change what causes autoturns to stop? To be honest I don't know why it keeps telling me about civilian ships being built, no-one cares mate.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16659 on: January 04, 2016, 03:22:28 pm »

Can you change what causes autoturns to stop? To be honest I don't know why it keeps telling me about civilian ships being built, no-one cares mate.

yeah, I'm curious about this too. I assume there is a way, but I dunno.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #16660 on: January 04, 2016, 03:48:19 pm »

I'm sure I read something relatively recently from Steve over on the Aurora forums, that he had made some alterations to which events would break you out of auto-turns.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16661 on: January 04, 2016, 05:39:19 pm »

You can hide specific event types. Does that stop them from pausing autoturns?

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16662 on: January 04, 2016, 06:13:36 pm »

The most confusing parts of the game thus far have been sorium harvesting and designing missiles lol. I figured out sorium harvesting from reddit, and did design a couple types of missiles. But I still don't understand at all the missile stuff, I just followed a guide that didn't really explain things that well. I'll probably stick to lazer designs to begin with as I understand that a lot easier, and figure out missiles later. Missiles are probably a lot better and "optimal", but unless Quill18 gets to it before I start getting an actual fleet, I'll probably just skip missiles for a while. Besides the ones I already designed.

And I'd need an actual youtube video to understand missiles better, guides on reddit and tutorials on it don't help at all (for me anyway) in regards to missiles. I need an actual video tutorial for dummies :P Even the imgur guide I followed didn't help much, that just made it more confusing lol. At least I actually made a couple usable missile launchers, but still don't understand at all what I was doing.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16663 on: January 04, 2016, 06:19:10 pm »

Sticking to lasers will very likely end up with you losing badly against anything with missiles long before you get in range to even fire.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16664 on: January 04, 2016, 06:45:57 pm »

Sticking to lasers will very likely end up with you losing badly against anything with missiles long before you get in range to even fire.

It only be temporary though, sticking to laser designs wouldn't be permanent. Just for a little while, until Quill18 starts designing missiles. Imgur, written guides and the one youtube video I found on designing missiles and missile ships just made it more confusing to me. I think quill18 will do a really good job on giving info on how to actually do it, but for now I'd rather just stick to basic laser ships until then.
Pages: 1 ... 1109 1110 [1111] 1112 1113 ... 1346